1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Edwin the best mage in the game?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Luzifer's right hand, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
  2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I ment the spell which one would like to be casted, not those 3 WM only

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

So, good/neutral aligned players don't? And you're not doing dirty work for other people? (investigate Unseeing Eye, find Valygar, help Nalia, etc.)

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Undertaker: sorry I didn't get your point. I can't see where the problem is though. There are plenty of scrolls for sale or available for free in the game. It's not like scrolls were scarce or money a problem.
    With NRD a Wild Mage can cast a high level spell right after leaving Irenicus Dungeon, all that is needed is to pick up one of these scrolls (Cacofiend is fun).
    Edwin knows some nice spells but even he can't cast them when he joins your party.
    It's a matter of taste but personally I will never play a Sorcerer again (except for Kelsey or Tashia) since Wild Mages are really fun and once they hit level 10+ and provided they get the better spells in the game they really rock!
    With a Wild Mage you don't need so much back up, a Sorcerer can't face every situations without a fully stacked scroll case, besides I'm currently playing BG tutu and if I had been playing a Sorcerer I would never dream of giving this character spells that would grow less useful as he/she levels up whereas with a Wild Mage I can use whatever spell suits the situation best!

@Kuemper: Edwin asks you to MURDER someone you don't even know. Nor does he prove that this guy is evil. Rayic Gerthras is only a powerful cowled wizard, not a monster torturing people or capturing nymphs. :p
    Valygar is a presumed murderer (and you are not hired to kill him but to capture him), Nalia is a goody type even if she is misleaded and only wants to free her home from an invasion by evil monsters, the Unseeing Quest is meant to investigate an evil cult that causes trouble and make people take out their own eyes...

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

He's got mephits in his house! That alone proves he's evil.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Rayic is part of the group of people who swept Imoen away without so much as a byyourleave. Even my LG pally killed him - in self-defense, of course - considering he wouldn't let me get to the stairs before casting spells. IIRC, 'murdering' for Edwin is the only way to advance the 'plot' of getting info about MaeVar, which leads to getting info about finding Imoen/Irenicus.

My point was that other people ask you to do their dirty work, not just Edwin.

7. Caradhras

Media:
    @Felinoid: good point, but do you kill every evil person in the game? just because they go "ping" and become red when your pally casts detect evil. If killing Firkrag is questionable then it is even more dubious with this mage.

@Kuemper: So according to your logic your pally should have killed Tolgerias too?
    I mean if I am a mage in the Dock district and a group of heavily armed persons walk in and murder my mephit pets I wouldn't wait for them to skewer me.

EDIT: I made a poll there

[ August 28, 2005, 15:37: Message edited by: Caradhras ]

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Whats the problem Felinoid :grin: Poor cat couldn't jump high enough to catch the irritating mephits for lunch :shake:

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@Caradhras - No, my point is that you do other people's dirty work, not just Edwin's!

The pally I played didn't cast Detect Evil. The mephits and stone golems attacked *first*, therefore, I defended myself. When I reached the third floor to talk to Rayic, he asked me to leave. As I was doing so, he began casting Dispel Magic, then Horror. I'm sorry, but when someone starts casting spells at me, I tend to get a little huffy, regardless of my alignment.

Also, I made an *agreement*, lawfully binding me to do this task for Edwin. I never intended to kill Rayic, merely talk him into leaving Edwin alone (even though Edwin asks, 'Has the Cowled fool been disposed of?')

And who says nobody role-plays anymore? :grin:

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@Shrikant:
    I stand on two legs; I didn't need to jump. :evil:

Mephits are evil (and they taste that way too :sick: ), and only evil wizards would use them. Not only that, but one could assume that a Cowled Wizard would have a familiar. Seeing no other candidates in the house, one can also assume that one of those mephits is Rayic's familiar (while the rest are just the familiar's friends). Thus, Rayic Gethras is (Neutral) Evil. :happy:

11. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Yeah, isn't it disgraceful how some people (and creatures) react to others breaking in their property? :D

Regarding Edwin being the best spellcaster in the game... well, truth to be said the best spellcaster would actually be a Wild Mage who's been equipped with Edwin's Amulet via SK. :evil:

/me hides until crowd stops booing and chanting "cheater"

This makes me remember something. Has any of you experienced a bug by which Edwin cannot make use of Minor Spell Sequencer when he has more than 6 spell slots for levels 1 and 2? When that happens, he can cast Minor Spell Sequencer, but then the list of spells from which to choose is empty... I equipped a PC wizard with his Amulet to test this, and I got the same result.

12. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Edwin has to have some kind of disadvantage :p

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@Colthrun - The gate to his property was wide open and the door to his home unlocked. The only thing my party could be accused of was unlawful entry. Although, in line with my previous posts, I will say I did knock. :p

14. Caradhras

Media:
    @Kuemper: Imoen has broken the law by using magic without a licence, she is guilty of a felony -extenuating circumstances would apply, nonetheless she is guilty. In the other thread Felinoid pointed out that the Maevar quest is only a side quest, you get information on Imoen's whereabouts by dealing with Aran Linvail, not Renal Bloodscalp.

@Western Paladin: none apart from having the most remarkably obnoxious personality in the game. ;)

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@Caradhras - I was replying to the comment made by Colthrun, not you.

16. Caradhras

Media:
    @Kuemper: I do crave your indulgence and humbly beg to be forgiven for I was the victim of a common misconception, I erroneously believed that this was the "Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal" forum i.e. a public meeting or assembly for open discussion where people exchange ideas about a common interest; I am utterly despondent at the thought of the disagreement my ill-timed intervention may have caused.

17. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Now now, we could also go forth and play nice people.
    Don't eat each other please, there'll be no-one left for my lunch!
    :p

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Oi Beren! Where are you now?

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, my reply was in keeping with the joking of Colthrun's and since I did note it with '@Colthrun'... Cadrahas seems (imho) to take things a tad personally. :heh: That's life.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nice icon (there goes SP's G rating) -- I wanted that one, but it was listed as 'for women only' -- I guess I could have lied.

More on topic: A paladin cannot be 'lawfully bound' to do an evil act. If, in your role-playing, you believe taking out the mage is an evil act -- then the paladin cannot do it. Good deeds and defeating evil are the focus of a paladin -- not necessarily upholding the law or following through on an evil agreement.

I reasoned it more like: I believed the cowled wizards were evil (including Tolgeras). Even Keldorn agreed there. Hence, taking him out wasn't an evil act -- it may not have been a good act, just not evil.

I certainly did not need to complete the Mar'Vae quest to further the plot to rescue Imoen and I realized it at the time. In fact there were a few quests I did not do because I felt the paladin should not do them -- but this wasn't one of them. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.