1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Obama at risk?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by LKD, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    At least I have not heard that anywhere. But I have heard that if there is an attempt on the man's life, that it will start a civil war, and that is what some of the hate groups are hoping for. Like I said, NOG, it's all crazy talk, like Martaug's post proves....

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ummm... what? I didn't see that from martaug's comment. I rather gathered he was referring to the southern gun toting NRA member with distinct biases -- the exact people everyone is concerned about targetting Obama.

1000 yards is a bit of a stretch though -- very few can make a 1000 yard shot (most of those are in the military using specialized weapons).

I'm fairly confident all that "crazy talk" is getting attention.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gotta agree with T2, Chandos. I read martaug's post and, serious of the actual issue aside, I thought it was rather funny. I interpreted it more as a shot (no pun intended) at redneck conservatives than anything else.

4. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Sorry, being that Martaug is a conservative from the South, (but certainly not a redneck), who happens to like guns, (maybe NRA?), I think that is absurd....

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Gotta weigh in here as well and agree with T2 and Splunge. And as for this,

It merely shows that Martaug can laugh at himself, or at least the people he is often associated with.

I'd be willing to bet vital parts of my anatomythat if there were an attack on Obama, martaug would be just as upset as the rest of us -- no one on these boards wants to see such a tragic breakdown in American society, regardless of the party affiliation of the President.

T2Bruno likes this.
  6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Yes you are.
    *pats DR on the head*
    *pulls back hand and counts fingers*

Chandos, you're showing a bit of thin skin here, and it's making me scratch my head a little. The threat of violence was the very theme of the topic, so you had to expect to run into it, and people frequently make jests in such conversations that aren't meant to be taken literally, and Martaug's post was obviously more of a jest at himself and his rather than you and yours.

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    OK, maybe I am being a bit paranoid. But as they say, "just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you." Being where I am, I hear that kind of talk about someone "pulling the trigger" on Obama now and again, and it's serious stuff. Texas is a bit different and it doesn't bother some of the old timers here, in the least, to relish their racism, and they are gleeful at the prospect that the worst can happen - seriously. And that kind of talk grates my nerves something fierce after all the tragedy we have suffered - JFK, RFK, MLK, John Lennon, etc.

My apologies to Martaug if I took his comments out of context. But as someone who generally expects the worst in any given situation, I still don't see the humor in it...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  8. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sorry if it bothered you chandos but i was having a bit of a jest about the whole situation.
    Actually, i am a redneck & proud of it, i just think that we have a different definition of redneck. I think you may be lumping all rednecks in to what we here in the south call "trailer-park trash"

It's like when you here the crazy liberals like rosie o'donell say "we are coming to take your guns" & you have to stop and laugh, thinking to yourself "yeah thats real smart, piss off all the ARMED folk!:doh:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHf5OqwXEFo
    This is just perfect, WARNING ! it is eddie murphy so there is a lot of foul language

On the actual serious question of this thread, there is no doubt that he is in more danger than any candidate in the last half-century. This is partially due to his race but more to do, IMHO, with his politcs that a lot of people find scary, offensive or down-right dangerous.

P.S. T2Bruno, umm 1,000 yard shooters actually aren't that uncommon, anymore. You may not be aware of it(or you might) but 2 of the competitions at the nationals at camp perry are 1,000 yard shoots with metallic sights, no scopes. 1 is for bolt actions & the other is for service rifles.
    Plus all the bench-rest shooters, there are guys in that group that complain when they can't shoot a 1/4MOA at 750yards ! For all you non-shooters, that means keeping all of your hits in a less than 2" group at that distance. I'm anal about my shooting but not that bad.:)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Thanks for that Youtube link, Martaug, as I'd been quoting that bit for a few weeks now, but my memory isn't all that great from 25 years ago when I first saw it. I got most of it right. Ahh, the days when Eddie Murphy was actually funny.

Anyway, I think that, unfortunately, there is an elevated risk of an assassination attempt on Obama simply because we do not lack for crazies here, and there are people who seriously believe that Obama will bring down this country into a fiery heap and, whether or not racism will materially impact the voting process, you know that it doesn't take much to set off a racist nutjob. The Secret Service agents are going to have to be on their toes assuming that Obama wins.

By the way, I also think that McCain would stand a greater than normal chance of being the subject of an assassination attempt. Just replace the racist nutjob with a religious nutjob, who thinks that Palin would be a great President for his brand of religion (that's assuming, of course, that the religious nutjob could get his mind around the idea of a female President).

10. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yeah its funny(the eddie murphy bit) but it makes you feel :geezer:, that things 25 years old!!!

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Speaking of how awesome Sarkozy is, here's an exchange between him and Palin. By which I mean, here's an exchange between a Canadian pretending to be Sarkozy and, um, the actual Palin. And apparently it's real.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.