1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is resting cheesy?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ishmael, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@Symm

LOL! That would be great. SoA naptime. I can picture it now. :rolling:

JK. I think it might be a good idea, but it is not likely to happen. I mean, what can you lose by sleeping for 1 hour instead of 8? :confused:

2. Symm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@Defspeal...Thanks for the Welcome..much appreciated. If I may pick up on a point, you stated that a mage/cleric would not be able to learn a whole spell book in one hour...I agree, if you will refer to my previous post however, I quoted that the mage/cleric should only be able to relearn 'some' spells of their choice to account for only having one hour's rest. Sort of like the mage saying, I'll just use this hour to learn a few spells we'll likely need.

@Jaguar...I know what you mean 'Why have a 1 hour rest when you can have an 8 hour rest?'. To answer that I would refer to my previous post, in that I would like a restriction on the 8 hour rest to once per day. This would mean that using up an 8 hour rest would only enable you to have 3 x 1 hour rests for the remainder of that day.

I did think about restricting 8 hour 'sleeps' to inns and grassy areas (i.e. not dungeons) because I think it would be impossible for a party to sleep in a dungeon with monsters nearby...this throws up questions about having a nightwatchman or lookout, and the amount of rest they get and hence their fatigue...or a shift system for nightwatchmen, and hence all the party only getting 7 hours because of their lookout shift. I would prefer only 1 hour 'rests' in dungeon areas and no 8 hour 'sleeps' at all...but I can't gauge peoples reactions to this...

3. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There is this thing called Rules there which says spellcasters need at least 8 hours of resting to gain spells even if it was one magic missile.
    I simply can't understand people who rest every so often. I usually push to the limit and fire that last magic missile before taking a nap. This resting-after-3 goblins thing is not for me. My conscience won't allow that.
    But, it would be nice to pass some time, sit down, eat something and stuff, so that no one gains any hitpoints or spells, just that morning/evening would come sooner. Maybe that's not such a good idea remembering those nights are crucial for a vampire encounters.

4. Symm Gems: 2/31

@Mayfairy

I seem to recall Eye of the Beholder 2 on the Amiga having a rest for so many hours option. If I can remember correctly there was a timer which ticked off the hours, and you could see which spells you were memorising as the hours ticked by. You could stop resting at any stage, and you didn't recover any more spells until you rested again. The lower level spells were always memorised first and then the higher levels the longer you rested upto 8 hours.

Didn't Eye of the Beholder uses 2nd Ed rules?...I just thought I'd mention that, because you mentioned the rules.

5. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Regarding spell memorization, I recall the rules for mages was 10 minutes/level of spell/spell in order for spells to be rememorized. If you have a mage that's gone through a couple of 4th and 5th level spells, you'd be looking at 3 hours alone of just memorizing; that is not including taking time to rest physically.

6. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

For my part, I rely so much on weaponry and so little on spells that I rest only when the NPCs begin to complain.

7. Symm Gems: 2/31

Which of course makes a whole mockery of the resting and memorisation aspect of the AD&D ruleset. Lets take for example a level 15 mage in our mockery test and see how long it will take him to rememorise an empty spell book:-

5 x Level 1 Spells = 50 minutes
    5 x Level 2 Spells = 1 hour 40 minutes
    5 x Level 3 Spells = 2 hours 30 minutes
    5 x Level 4 Spells = 3 hours 20 minutes
    5 x Level 5 Spells = 4 hours 10 minutes
    2 x Level 6 Spells = 2 hours
    1 x Level 7 spell = 1 hour 10 minutes.

Spell memorisation time = 14 hours. Then he needs to physically rest for 8 hours for example.

Using this example lets say the rules have been bent a little bit, so lets bend them a bit further and allow 1 hour rests and rememorisation of 'some' spells.

Note I'm not suggesting a change in the rules, I'm suggesting an alternate method to reduce the battle/8 hour rest/battle/8 hour rest syndrome of play.

8. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

That is exactly how spells were memorized in Pool Of Radiance, Champions of Krynn, Eye Of the Beholder, etc.

So yes, if you stressed your wizard out to the point that he was completely drained of all spells, he'd need about 1 day off of the road to recuperate. Thus the idea is to rest a few hours here and there in order to memorize 3-4 spells to top up the book.

Actually there are two ways to do it: You rest 14 hours, as you say, then adventure 3 or four days and rest again; Or you can rest more often, in shorter doses, to stay topped up.
    (The physical rest aspect is not so much a factor: Obviously your non-casters are resting during memoriztion, and Casters need less physical rest because they are less physical adventurers)
    Those 2 options would make for a realistic game. The 8 hour "flat rate" is dumb. Especially if all you really need is 1 restoration spell, (about 1 hr) or better yet, a knock spell (10 mins.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.