1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Torment worth it?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Jorgon, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Forsashi - Bar that ya barmy berk. I don't know whether to paint ya with colors and crack yer brain-box with a chamber pot. I dark of the matter is I think it's the best RPG there is. I had the most fun with it cause my role-playing actually effected the story in so many ways. The story, dispite what you think, is the best thing I've ever played through. The characters were incredibly unique. The atmopshere and setting were something I never experienced. You say theres trash everywhere? Other RPG's have the same problems with similar environments. At least Planescape does have variety whether or not you choose to acknowledge it. The Mortuary, Hive, Upper Ward, Curse, Baator, Fortress of Regrets, Maze - All of these were very different looking. There was never a dull moment. Read faster and it won't be slow, BTW slow isn't a bad thing. Just depends on how much time and attention one is willing to put towards a game. Thats what seperates the casual from the hardcore. Seriously what RPG can best it? BG? FO? Hell no you addle-cove. BTW the music is very gewd. I don't know why ya be puffin' that magic dragon so much. (I'm actually on hiatus from playing PS:T - going through as a mage)

[ December 24, 2002, 08:10: Message edited by: Frog ]

2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sigh... I really wouldn't want to resort to this. But I hardly need an average English student to tell me with a desperate attempt for some thee-thou gang dialect (I assume you were trying to improvise the same style of speech that Annah is using in Torment?) how the difference with us is that you're a hardcore gamer whos "role-playing actually effects the story in so many ways", and I'm not. If you have such a need to feel better than me then fine, I'll grant you that pleasure. But I thought I already said I don't have anything against a large amount of time spent in a game. The average it takes for me to play Baldur's Gate 2 is well around 100 hours. That's just SoA. It's how you spend the time that counts. Because I'm not a hardcore lamer, I like to get somewhere with that time. Not just 10 unfinished little stories I get to see the end of after a few days and some boring fighting inbetween to make sure I don't remember where I was when it all began.

Oh, so that's a variety? They're all about the same type. The same-looking structures, social surroundings, the ugliness and the trash. With few exceptions. I will say this once more, i can respect the fact that many like torment, some of my friends who've tried it do. However, I do not. I've played it through twice. Once with a mage, once with a fighter. In that very same order. And I seriously doubt I'll ever be playing it through again. It's a worthy experience for sure, but that's more because of it's uniqueness. Not because it was a good game.

It's all a matter of opinion.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Which we're all entitled to.

Simply put, like all other games, this one is basically enjoyable if you find certain things enjoyable. Rather than debating opinions here, how about we tell him about the game so that he can make his own judgement on it.

It's not combat-heavy, but depending on your playstyle, you can find enough to hold you over. It's not Diablo, though. There is a lot of dialogue and quite a bit of thinking involved.

It's set in the Planescape universe, which, imo is far more interesting than any other. The NPCs that join your party have far more personality than I've ever seen in a game. That said, I wish they actually had more. You can uncover most of the dialogues in the game in a few minutes.

The game is short. It is more like DS or D2 than to BG2 in it's length. That's the biggest problem I had with the game.

Although despite my few gripes, I thoroughly enjoyed this game and it was well worth the money I paid for it.

4. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Actually that isn't Annah's slang per se. It's the tongue of the planes. Refer to The Glossary

Yes!

The same could be said of Fallout's environments. That too is a sweet game.

I don't get this part. Am I suppose to pity you? :confused:

If you could elaborate on this a little. I see only one story. The Nameless Ones struggle to find himself. If you mean the events of past incarnations, they just add to the existing story. Gives it more depth. Not all information on every past incarnation is avalible. Theres been thousands, so it would overload.

[ December 29, 2002, 06:22: Message edited by: Frog ]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  5. X Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yes Torment is very worth it. If you want an indepth, exciting, and intelligent game this one is for you hehe. You can shape the character in his actions to reflect you more.. you can also get relaly powerful and go on a killing spree then reload :) . I truly love this game I hope you will too

[ January 16, 2003, 22:02: Message edited by: X ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.