1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It was bound to happen (Robbery for medical care)

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by dmc, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tbh idk.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm way too cute for the equation of free medical, room, and board vs. rape to make this an option for me.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What's the solution?

4. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Did you read the, well I wont call them lies, slightly exaggerated comments that the teller was saying to the 911 operator?
    he was threatening her & had threatened to shoot her?
    That doesn't jive with the rest of the article. I think she blowed it WAY out of proportion.
    This is only about 30 miles from me. See it's not us old brothers you gotta watch out for, it's them old cracka's!! :D

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree rg58 - there's nothing in the rest of the article that he suggested he was acting violently. He didn't even have a gun, so I kinda doubt he threatened to shoot her. Then again, I imagine if you're a bank teller and someone comes in and hands you a robbery note, you're pretty freakin stressed out...

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Is the lack of medical care a problem in your country as well, HB?

7. rg58 Gems: 5/31

He might want to be careful if he tries that after december 1st. Thats when HB650 takes effect, section 14 of which allows concealed carry in financial institutions. If he decides to try it again, even with a fake gun, he might get shot.

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think he might have asked the teller to "exaggerate" in order to make sure he gets arrested. He doesn't need even a fake gun for that. In fact, his behavior was quite unthreatening - he gave them a note, apparently showing no sign he had a weapon, then sat out at some distance.

9. rg58 Gems: 5/31

Thats true the shaman, however with the teller telling the 911 operator that he had threatened her, it put the police on a higher threat level & he may have gotten shot.
    I don't normally have any sympathy for criminals but in this case that would have been a shame:(

Chandos the Red likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    There have been a lot of exaggerations about the type of care a person who cannot pay will receive in an emergency room. An emergency room is required to provide care when a patient is suffering from "a condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in placing the individual's health [or the health of an unborn child] in serious jeopardy, serious impairment to bodily functions, or serious dysfunction of bodily organs." This gives ER's a lot of wiggle room to deny services to patients like this man. Even if an ER did opt to provide treatment, it would only be obligated to keep him until his condition was "stabilized." Since none of his conditions were life threatening, they would have been well within their rights to give him some naproxen and send him on his way. Back surgery, foot surgery, physical therapy, or even removing the growth (assuming it was not malignant) are all well beyond the scope of what an ER would be required by law to provide.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly; that's why I said jails/prisons shouldn't even provide medical care beyond what an emergency room would.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So people incarcerated with no means to make money to pay for health insurance should not get any health care? What is that called? The great leap backwards?

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Hell, some don't think even regular citizens should get health care!

Right. And also no education. Or as Ragsua calls it, "A race to the bottom."

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why should criminals get what law-abiding citizens don't? So that they have an incentive to commit crimes?

You note I didn't mention what care an ER should or should not give; I said jails/prisons should not give criminals anything more than an ER would.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think people complain about it in every country, but it's hard for me to compare.

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Incarceration denies, among other things, one's ability to receive specialized medical care not offered in prison. Thus, any condition that is developed (anything from bad teeth to potentially terminal conditions like cancer) would effectively be due to the prisoner not having access to medical facilities. This means sentence should either included that as part of the punishment (which is both arbitrary and would make it harsher than it is now) or any such damages should be blamed on whoever operates the prisons - with that "whoever" having to pay for it if something happens.

The problem imo isn't that prisoners have decent medical care (though for statistical purposes I would like to know how much it costs and how it compares to what everyone else is paying), the problem is that a lot of honest people don't.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Providing people with adequate care would take away the incentive. While the rest of the world seems to understand this, some Americans remain clueless. Even some crappy third world countries TRY to take care of those in need. That people have to go to prison to attempt to get basic care doesn't say much for this country. It's a disgrace to humanity.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I work for a health insurance company. Off course, every now and then I get a complaint that the system isn't optimal. And then I think: "Oohhhh, but it can be much, much worse."

And I always think of Lewis Black when health insurance in America is the topic.

Language..! Watch from 1.min 5.sec

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.