1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Justice Department Drops New Black Panther Party Case, Accused of Racial Preference

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Jul 17, 2010.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Sorry, didn't mean to accuse you of lying, just the author of the article. I guess I didn't make that clear.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Well, it looks like there's more to this story now. Some emails have come out showing that higher-level political appointees were involved in this, and that it wasn't just “a case of career people disagreeing with career people.” I don't see any smoking gun evidence on wrong-doing in the original case, but this is at least evidence that AAG Thomas Perez 'mis-spoke'*.

*I also don't know that he was aware of this exchange, but I imagine anyone with actual knowledge of the decision making process would be, so either he lied or was lied to.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm not sufficiently aware of the US legal system to judge how serious an infraction this is, but I found the below quote from the JW president a little strange: "These documents show that not only was the Black Panther decision shamelessly politicized by the Obama administration".

Wait, the Obama administration politicized this case and the decision? Apparently I must be a little unfamiliar with the meaning of the word "politicize", because somehow I doubt their side was the only one who highlighted this case and tried to make politicay hay out of it. Sure, it could help them with some of the more radical black voters, but that's not exactly a swing voter group for a black (well, biracial) president on the Democratic ticket.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    In this context, 'politicized' means 'made it a political issue', which happened when (and if) the decisions on how to handle the case were made political decisions, instead of legal ones. That would be the Obama administration (or at least their political appointees).

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, to me that would be "politically motivated," "politicized" would imply that it was made the object of political activity. That is why I think the issue was "politicized" by all the outlets who brought it out and tried to link it to Obama.

Now, does the handling of the case bear the possibility of politically motivated tampring? Sure, I think it pretty likely that it had something to do with someone's political aspirations. On the other hand, trying to pin it on Obama or anyone in his intimate circle is imo absurd - none of these guys have anything to gain from bailing a trio of fringe racists, especially after they've already won and they can only lose from the political fallout. A case of someone trying to suck up to the superiors strikes me as much more likely.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Or, as has been claimed, a climate of 'only minorities deserve protection' running rampant in this section of the justice department. I also doubt it goes all the way to the White House, but the White House could step in and help sort this out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.