1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Keith Olbermann suspended over political donations

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Oh, I gather that the counter culture of the Vietnam era and the seventies have been divisive. Cheney is said to have never recovered from his Nixon era trauma, and probably he didn't get over Iran-Contra either. But then, Cheney is an old man now, with old grudges. It is worth keeping in mind that to most Americans younger than, say, 35, that aforementioned divisiveness is something they never experienced personally. It is lore.

There has been a point long passed after which that reaction has ceased to be proportional. This is excessive, and the only reason I can see why Republicans merrily continue this is that they have lost their sense of proportion and have gotten used to it. To what they do now the questions of what the radicals of the 1970s said and did 40 years ago is of mere historical interest. It is 2010 now and soon it will be 2011. If I see a mid-thirty Republican candidate say the stupid and irresponsible things that mid thirty Republican candidates at times tend to say (and do) I find supposed pre-natal and ancestral traumas to be a frankly unconvincing justification. They have a free will after all.

If the Republican backlash, and it is just that, is akin to an immune reaction, what we see now is lupus.

PS: Yay! My 9,000th post!

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The counter culture was like 40-50 years ago, and ended even before Nixon did. If the counter culture of the 60s was brought into this, it has nothing to do with the modern media. I mean, we can go back to the Civil War and talk REAL disivise politics if we want an historical perspective.

The counter culture movement grew out of the Civil Rights movement and split the Democratic Party. Most of the Southern politicians were old-school Democrats and guys like Lyndon Johnson, from Texas, who is more associated with the Vietnam War than any other politician, could not even run for another term as prez because the Dems were so divided on the issues of Civil Rights and the Vietnam War. Johnson himself was very much in favor of Civil Rights but very pro Vietnam war, as anyone who has studied the period understands. There was a governor a guy named Geroge Wallace, who was a Democrat, and perhaps more conservative than any of these Repbulicans around today - from what I have read of the guy, he makes Sarah Palin look like a Vermont liberal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace

This is the South in the 60s, during the mytholoy of the counter culture:

More on this guy:

This is the same party of George McGovern, the only mojor political figure I can imagine is even mildly associated with the counter culture movement, besides RFK, whose life and political career was cut far too short. I heard George McGovern recently doing an interview on CSPAN where he commented that he and Bob Dole were able to work together on policy and how much they liked and respected each other. He was speaking specifically of the School Lunch/nutition Program and how they worked together to help get lunches for poor kids in public schools. What chance would that program have a getting passed today? None. I can hear Rush now, speaking into his gold microphone: "Poor kids can's eat at school? I guess it sucks to be them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Select_Committee_on_Nutrition_and_Human_Needs

What downright shame.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Ragusa, I'm not saying that it always was neutral. Honestly, I have no idea how it became genuinely neutral to begin with. Maybe some young journalists-to-be saw the blatant partisanship of the media they were living with, got sick of it, and decided to fix it from the inside. Maybe we'll see something like that ourselves soon. Maybe not. I'm just saying the country's politics are healthier when unbiassed and unafraid news informs the people. Mind you, you have to have both of those. Biassed and unafraid is a nightmare, while unbiassed but afraid is a tool of whoever is in power.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.