1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kick-Ass RTS Games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] The first Homeword game is amazing I was totally hooked on it. I have never played cataclysm, I’m sure its good but just not as groundbreaking and new as the first.
    Starcraft is a good game with plenty of single player missions (especially with the broad war expansion pack), it also has a multiplayer mode I found some of the missions a bit hard :(

[ March 09, 2004, 13:52: Message edited by: Defspeal ]

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It's not as groundbreaking but it's better. Your mothership can actually 'move'; you don't have to bother refueling fighters; there is a common 'worker' class vessel that mines, repairs and salvages; same engine but better graphics; far more involving storyline with very good voice acting and a very interesting enemy to combat.

I strongly suggest RTS fans grab Cataclysm from their nearest bargain-bin, probably only will cost you $10-$15.

3. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Starcraft, for what it was, was simply amazing.

It still stands as a testament to the power of a good story, excellent race balance, and overall fun.

Nothing like the smell of psion storm in the morning.

4. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    @ Morningstar: It wasnt you who played it, you just sat and watched while i played :p but anyway i would reccomend cossacks aswell.

Have you tryed Lord of the Realms 2 & Free expansion Pack, its and old game but its good, you command you provinces and then in sieges/battels you control a RTS army

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you want a good FPS game i'd recommend Call Of Duty, it kicks ass. Disciples 2 is fun for a while but repetetive(sp?). Also for an FPS. Rainbow Six 3.It rocked my world.and age of empires 2 the conquerers and mentioned before.

6. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Death Rabbit:

N4m3dr0pp1ng d3lux3:
    Total Annihilation(if you can get your hands on a copy, you've earned my respect)
    Age Of Empires II
    Emperor: Battle for Dune
    C&C: Generals
    StarCraft :p
    Heroes Of Might And Magic III(Maybe not an RTS, though still alive and kickin'!! =) )
    Rollercoaster Tycoon
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
    Medieval: TOTAL WAR (Battles are in realtime ;P)
    Sacrifice
    C&C: Red Alert
    Ground Control(Swedes do more than just Ikea and Battlefield!)

That's... some games, i guess.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Most of WCIII was pretty lame, but there were a few realy fun custom games that I downloaded for the expansion (Fulgore's epic Castle siege and Footman wars were pretty good)

Rise of Nations is excelent!!!!! It combines some excellent properties of a number of RTS's and rolls them all into one, you can download a free demo of it off of the Microsoft site (the demo is about 125 Mb but you can play in the quick battle mode as many times as you like with around 10 different races)

8. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

My recommendations would be:

1) Age of Mythology, plus Titans expansion - graphics are good, an interesting plot, and it has people turning into pigs. What more could anyone want from a game?

2) Sacrifice - an RTS RPG really. An interesting game, with funny dialogues. A rather simplistic plot (the standard demon destroying the world), but fun to guess who the traitor god is. Also, challenging and tactical.

3) Kohan: Ahriman's Gift - I put this in rather grudgingly. The graphics are basic, the voices are terrible, but very addictive gameplay. Customising your companies of soldiers and such adds diversity, and the races all have unique units and buildings.

9. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

I still play a lot of Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings, along with the expanions pack, Age of conquerors (however its spelt)

Age of Mythology is by far one of my favorites though, :( I really should save up and go out and buy the expanion pack some time.

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I am most saddened that nobody mentioned Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth2: Soulblighter :( Two ignored masterpieces. No base building, no rush tactics - what units you have at the beginning you have to rely on throughout the level (a few small reinforcements notwithstanding). Add to that an amazing 3d engine (for its day), a gripping and complex story and a lot of RPG elements and what's not to like.

But the best of the best I have to agree with Chev - Dune 2.

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Another that I would Recommend is Empire Earth. It is addictive. I played on one game vs 8 computers on hardest difficulty for like 20+ hours straight.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.