1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Let's put things in proportion!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, to do that we need to travel to another system and we haven't even managed to put a person on another planet as of yet. So I'd say we're a long way off from that.

The size of the universe matters little when you can't even get of the single rock you were cursed to scurry around on.

2. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I know a few people whose ego's are at least as big as Antares...

3. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That does it, I'm moving to Antares.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    There is better version of this. And it takes into consideration that Pluto is no longer a planet! :D

Here's the linkage. The slide with change after a few seconds.

Shhh! :p :rolling:

5. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    I am frequently consciously aware of our insignificance in compared to the rest of the universe and its infinite probabilities. It makes going about my daily routine all that more humorus as I watch us primates pretending we have some sort of advanced civilization, when we have only been in existence as a species for about 100, 000 years. Just imagine another 100, 000 years into the future, assuming we dont kill ourselves before then, we will even then after all that time still only have been in existence for a small insignificant fraction of the entirety of the universe. I like to think of the possibilities that will be common place in our descendants futures, and how we effect them with what we do and think and believe concerning ourselves as a species, and our place in the 'entirety' of the universe.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Hmm. I can't remember who wrote it (was a scifi guy), but...

"Man is not the measure of all things, but the measurer of all things."

7. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

If I take an object and begin to subdivide it into smaller and smaller pieces, how small can I subdivide the object? At no time may I subdivide the object into such small pieces that they no longer have any effect upon their surroundings, because if I did so, then the object would not exist (as its constituent divisions would themselves not exist). Remember, to exist is to effect; an object which exerts absolutely no effect is in actually not an object, and does not in actuality exist. So how far can I subdivide? For an object to exist, it would seem that I must be able to subdivide it infinitely. What does that mean? What are the consequences of that infinite divisibilty? Does that mean there can be no fundamental unit of substance?

How about if we go in the other direction...can there be an object so large that it has no surrounding to effect (i.e. the universe)? Does that mean for the universe to exist (and it does, I've seen it), it is necessary for it to be infinite in at least one dimension? Or all dimensions?

Do they sell straight-jackets in medium size?

[ January 12, 2007, 00:02: Message edited by: Late-Night Thinker ]

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Isn't the Planck length the smallest you can measure without breaking down space-time?

Would hate to see what would happen if Antares collapsed.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cool.

But what's so controversial about this that it should be in the Alley? :hmm:

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Matter is constent. It is never destroyed, it mealy changes form. I don't know how small an object could be, but it would probably be clasifide as a gas at some point during the change.

On the subject of the infinite:
    If the Universe is infinite, done that meen there are an infinite number of earths that are exacly like ours? Is it posable that somewhere on some world there is another you doing exacly the same thing you are doing now?

If the Universe is infinite, that would mean it would be imposable for anything not to exist.

Edit: Splunge@ Can you see this sort of post in whatnots?

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Absolutely!

I know the forum description just mentions "serious subject matter", but I always thought the Alleys were supposed to deal with contentious issues - basically, topics where one could choose sides. I can't see that here.

But I guess that's only the way they were back in the good ol' days, when things made sense, everything was in its proper place, and Tal was still somewhat sane. Ahh, the memories... :geezer: :p

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    It's also supost to deal with philosophy, and I think this is a very philosophical topic.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Alleys are not for contentious issues; merely ones in which you want a serious discussion.

It just so happens that a lot of topics for serious discussion turn contentious. :)

14. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

true, the smallest particle known currently is an elektron, along with the larger proton and neutron, these make up atoms.
    from what we can observe currently, these three objects never stop excisting, they made change from one atom to another, but the amopunt of eletrons and protons are allways the same in any process.

[ January 14, 2007, 14:21: Message edited by: Equester ]

15. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Nataraja
    Just for consider how and were we will be in a distant future, we are acomplished with te dream of one of my favorite sci-fi writers:Sir Issac Asimov.
    He, along with many other, forseen a humanity that spread along the solar system first, and the whole galaxy later.
    But like you said, he also claims "if we can´t conquer ourselves, how we can consider conquer the galaxy?"

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I sometimes try to realize how much God must love me when he cares for such a small being on a tiny planet somewhere there... in the galaxy.

Man, do I feel religious today. :pope:

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Um... no. One of the transformations of matter is into energy. Which is the whole process behind nuclear fusion and fission - turning some matter into energy.

18. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    What is nuclear waste then?

19. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Blackthorne, that is just eletrons traveling for one mater to another., the nuclear waste as The magister mention are the leftovers which now lack some of there elektrons.

energy isn't some mystic force that exist with no mather. its movement of elektrons, weather you talk elecktricity or physical movement, or heat for that mather. its all do to movement of elektrons.

radioactivity in for instance uranium, works by the way of uraniums outet elecktron-claudes are unstable, uranium over time turns into another atom by giving these elektrons away, this proces generates heat (which is a form of energy) this heat is what a neclear powerplant uses.

[ January 14, 2007, 14:35: Message edited by: Equester ]

20. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As far as I recall, nuclear power generators have a number of rods of radoactive matter submerged in water. The heat generated by the rods evaporates the water, whic is used to power turbines, which generate power. Nuclear waste is the irradiated water that is left over and the depleted rods( although the rods do find some use by the military, who can make ammunition from depleted uranium).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.