1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

locked topics!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by herf, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Then there's also the question of what is stupidity. Obviously stupidity of posts can be a bannable offence in Sorceror's Place if enough people complain, trouble is, my concept of stupidity is probably different from other people's.

So there needs to be another section detailing what Sorceror's Place deems to be stupidity.

Only then will offenders know that it's nothing personal, just the rules. As it should be.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Common sense is all you need. And it takes much more than sheer stupidy of a post(er) to deserve a ban. Currently there are 4 people banned, two of them worthless spammers and two other nicks only duplicates of the same nick.

So you can hardly talk about stupidity of posts guaranteeing bans around here. If I banned everyone for every stupid post they make I'd be left with an empty board pretty soon. ;)

And it's never personal. I don't know any of you so it could not be even if I wanted it to be. Heh.

3. herf Guest

[​IMG] you have taken away my nick and who elses?

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] He's taken away (ithink):

Evil Herf, Soul Eater
    Wiggler (hooligan's other nick)
    Ih8greebos (that was not me i assure)
    ???????

Can't think of the last one...it might be mine (Evil Sniper) but Tal said he would only ban it should i use it to put a silly post on. Which i havn't.

I agree with a small part of the forums detailing what the rules are.

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

IMHO there should be some forum rules to stop moronic people like:

1) No Negative comments, flames, insults etc, this is the quickest and easiest way to get banned so DON'T DO IT

2) No useless topics, if there is no point in the topic and/or nobody will care then donb't post it.

3) Please post on the correct forum, misc topics go on whatnots, IWD topics go on the IWD forum etc.

4) No cross posting on other forums, please keep your topic on one thread and do not advertise it on another board.

5) No excessive swearing.

6) Please speak english on these boards and make sure you do not have the mental age of an adolecant chimp when it comes to grammar.

7) You may only advertise a website or service ONCE, any more and you will be banned by the Uber-Hermit.

8) No illigal shit like warez and stuff.

9) PLEASE DON'T POST IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT IS ANNOYING TO READ AND MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE AN ASSNECK.

10) These rules are subject to change at any time and you are expected to know.

A few things like that IMHO would reduce the amount of shit on the forums.

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Septic, i agree with you but could you explain a few things to me.

What does flames mean from rule 1?
    What does warez mean from rule 8?
    What does caps mean from rule 9?

I'm just not familiar with those terms. Thats all.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Flames - posts with no content in them except for insults hurled at someone
    Warez - illegal copies of software, distibuted over the net
    Caps - ever tried pressing Caps LOCK?

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Well, I just think that when the rules are set out in a clearer fashion, unwanted stuff can be prevented. To be fair I think Tal does a better job than many moderators. It used to be that "wrong" topics would be locked immediately and a short reason given. Such vigilance suggests that it wasn't personal. Besides that, Tal has posted many useful things and lent many a helping hand to enquiring posters, so you know he's not just around to show a grumpy face, heh heh.

But anyway, maybe one reason recent events have gotten out of hand is because Tal left the potentially dangerous topics for too long. I say lock such topics immediately or at least give a forewarning, so that people don't get into gear only to have it locked halfway. :)

Also, I think having very clear and accessible rules will definitely help as it will give people a clear idea of what to expect. Such understanding is important.

Also, people's "common sense" may vary, usually due to cultural reasons. I'm sure there are no real trouble makers here, so harshness is not warranted.

Septic Yogurt, VERY good! :D Unfortunately, your list is rather unstructured. We should compile it into sections and subsections for easy reference and remembrance.

Next, I think the general rules we are presented with when we sign in can be sufficient, but offenders should be directed to the New and Improved Rules page, with a list of sections and subsections and bannable offences, suspendable offences etc.

I guarantee that if you do this Sorceror's Place will become VERY UNIQUE. Just a short amount of time doing this can save a lifetime of trouble!

Anyway I hope my suggestions help. :)

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am of the opinion that a lot of rules just tend to dampen the enthusiasm. If you don't like the stupid posts, nobody is forcing you to read them.

Those two bozos were enjoying themselves, and just went a bit too far... So slap them with a trout and be done with it. If they don't listen and learn then perhaps give them the boot.

Sorcerer doesn't boot anyone for first offenses, and so far everyone's straightened up after getting the trout across the chops... I say things are fine the way they are...

10. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

Yes, maybe you'll feel different if YOU were smacked with a trout.

11. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Doesn't the title 'Sorcerer' give an impression of a grumpy fellow in robes?

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Of COURSE I'd feel different! I'd have a stinging sensation on one side of my face, as well as a lingering fishy smell... :D

13. herf Guest

[​IMG] you have the fishy smell anyway...

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] I think you must be confusing me with Rachel ;)

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Oi, my friend was dismissed on first offense. Silly Bugger! :)

TA: whose Rachel?

16. herf Guest

[​IMG] dont answer that, please, we wont even go there!

17. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Stop picking on Taluntain! He probably spends too much time on this site and everything here, and some of us should not mess it all up. If offensive language and shitthrowing (translated directly from Norwegian) is to be a part of these boards, I would certainly leave.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.