1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LOTR movie

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Wingfoot, Jul 27, 2000.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] No, I'm obviously to intelligent for the likes of it. And I don't mean all of it, I mean like DigiMon, or Flint the Time Detective, you know those dumb shows on FOX. I personally love Dragonball Z, and perhaps Sailor Moon.

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited August 05, 2000).]

2. hooligan_inc Guest

Look, I really cannot stand that Anime crap. It makes my head hurt, the characters have the most dense names ever and they are all the same.

3. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ya have never seen any of the Dirty Pair then have ya? <g> I use to watch Anmie before it was subtitled, or dubbed over.

Greating having a friend that is from japan <g> And that was what? 15 years ago when I got hooked.

4. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Personally, I think that Anime is a get rich quick scam where the characters just flop their mouths open every once in a while, and blink. Oh, and Nazgul, are you a LOTR fan? :)

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] First off Total Recall wasn't the worst movie ever made that award has to go to one of the Highlander films. As far as I'm concerned there was only one. The rest of too painful. Annie, in general, is cool. Yes, there is some awful stuff but there is also some real cool stuff as well. but wasn't the question about LOTR? I think it's going to be a good movie. There hasn't been a good fantasy (AD&D type)movie in a while. What was your favorite?

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Definetly the Hobbit! To qoute from the movie, "I am Gandolf, and Gandolf means ME!" One of the best scripts of any fantasy movie!

7. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] Fat Egg its Gandalf w/ an 'a' not an 'o'. wow now i am correcting your spelling. i see the student has become the teacher grasshopper.

8. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

Real anime is much better than that Pokemon, childrens crap. I like the real stuff like Gunbuster and Agent Akira.

9. hooligan_inc Guest

Highlander yeeaahh, but Waterworld? Ishtar? Delta Force 1/2? Any Chuck Norris movie? I can name loads of lame movies

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Wingfoot, you're right!

11. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

You're right, it is Gandalf.

12. Ok, then why don't we limit it to worst fantasy movie ever made? I vote for Beastmaster 2. Gawd does that movie suck!
    The first one was cheesy too, but at least it had some cool bad guys in it.

My personal opinion on anime is that it's not my thing, I'm not into any aspect of it, storylines, voice acting, and especially the graphics. Now I will admit I haven't watched that much of it, but what I have seen doesn't make me want to see any more. :rolleyes:
    Possible exception: is Heavy Metal (the movie) considered anime? That movie rocked!!

As for LOTR movie, are you insane? Given the depth and comlexity of the novels, there is no way that anyone could ever come close to reproducing that in a movie, even if it was 6 hours long. It will fail miserably.

And that's my $.02 :D

13. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

I doubt the movie will fail miserably, simply because it is LOTR. The cartoon version was different because it was a cartoon-real people mix, and it was reeeeeeeeeealy bad. Probably people will go to it like everyone went to see the Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. (Is it just me or is The Phantom Menace a pathetic name?) Everyone went just because it was Star Wars. I didn't think that it was anywhere as good as the first movies, but I went anyways. The same thing will probably be true with LOTR.

14. Wingfoot Guest

i hope LOTR is better than The Phantom Menace (that title isnt to bad). i thought The Phantom Menace was cheesier than any of the other Star Wars flicks.

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited August 12, 2000).]

15. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Very true, but let me ask you this, do you think that there are many LOTR fans? No, at least not in my area, I mean our library only has one LOTR book. And not a single person other than myself and two of my friends have ever read fantasy. Not a single bookstore sells it, and half the population does not even have internet access, so that they can shop online! STAR WARS: The Phantom Menace was big because it has millions upon millions of fans, although Phantom Menace was really shi**! LOTR, on the other hand only has a few million, although it may be the best new movie of the year, it will crash and burn, but hey, does that really matter to a true LOTR fan? No, or at least it shouldn't.

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited August 14, 2000).]

16. Wingfoot Guest

same here, i dont know very many people who are into fantasy, and there are even less LOTR fans around here. i have never really checked the library in my town, but the local book stores have very few D&D and LOTR books. i am @ the stores quite often, and these books seem to never leave the shelves, plus i am usually the only one in the fantasy section.
    as for the LOTR movie, as long as it(they) are good, that is all that matters. i really dont care if it rakes in millions of dollars or if it bombs.

17. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

Perhaps this is true, but I would think that most people have at least heard of LOTR even if they haven't read all the books.

18. Yes, I think most people have at least heard of LOTR. And I'm not sure where you're from, but around here (near Pittsburgh), all of the bookstores I've been to have at least a fair-sized fantasy section, with at least 2 or 3 shelves. And quite often a full shelf of D&D books. I see a lot of people on the buses reading fantasy books. So fantasy is alive and well in Pgh.

LOTR movie: Name a good movie that was based on a book. I'm the biggest Tolkien fan there is, no one will ever be able to write epics like that again (although some come close, I think). But I'm afraid it will suck...

19. hooligan_inc Guest

Hey, you don't have to be a LOTR fan to go and see the movie. And not all fantasy movies suck. I thought Dragonheart was OK.

20. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] A few things. First off Dragonheart was rather bad. Secondly, I agree with Wingfoot that SW1 was much chessier then the other Star Wars movies. A New Hope and Empire were SO MUCH better. Being from the Star Wars generation I would have pushed people down stairs to see the new movie. :) Well almost. But after I saw it I realized that Star Wars has changed and nothing will ever be as good as Empire.

But as far as LOTR being unknown I have to disagree. To start with fantasy books are still rather popular here in New England, but LOTR is so much more than that. Many people who would not read a 'fantasy' book have read LOTR. It is a lot more mainstream than any other fantasy novel. A very large part of the population has heard of or even read the books. During the 1960s LOTR was real big in New York. MOst of those poeple are older now, and may not be still into fantasy, but will still go see the movie. The movie may not do as well as SW1 but as long as it's good and all three movies get released I'll be happy.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited August 15, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.