1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Magic Resistance

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tap Dancing Oyster, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yep, it is Magic 'Damage' Resistance, which absorbs damage from Magic Misiles, Skulltraps, ABDHWs and the like. Magic Resistance is your chance to completely resist a spell or spell effect.

you know I used to confuse these two too.

Then there is pure Fire and Cold damage resistance and Magic Fire/Cold resistance. Anyone has a clue? :confused:

2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

well then if i have say, 200% MDR and get healed, whouldnt it hurt me?

i mean if i get healed from getting hurt, shouldnt i also get hurt from getting healed?

3. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Huh? :confused:

What does magic damage resistance have to do with healing? No, you don't get hurt from being healed.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

This ain't Final Fantasy, where healing hurts some things. Healing works always the same way, heals :)

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31

The only thing that healing hurts is the one quest monster in the unseeing eye quest. The demon looking thing in Amaunator's lost temple down there.

I heard something about it supposedly having a small chance hurting undead but it was never worth the attempt to me. Not to mention it just doesn't sound right from what I know of these games. Better to just hit them with things that do some serious stuff to undead or normal damage.

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

@ Balle

OMG are you trying to confuse me more! But let's say you do have 200% Magic Damage Resistance and you get damaged by a magic missile for say, 15 damage. What happens to you ...

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Then you get healed 15 hit points
    If you have 150% MDR, then you will get healed 7.5 hit points. The same would happen if, for example we were considering fire/piercing/slahing resistance and you were hit by a fire elemental/arrow/sword

8. Fly2tHeSkY

Ohhh! So if you only (HA!) had 100% Magic Damage Resistance then nothing would happen if you were attacked by say a magic missile?

AND if you 100% Magic Resistance then you would ignore it completey ... no damage, no healing?

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yes, damage resistance is essentially a modifyer of the damage dealt, so the damage you recieve is altered to your damage resistance (be it magic, fire, piercing, slashing etc).

Magic resistance is an entirely different kettle of fish; when a spell is cast at you, the probablity of it hitting you is determined by your MR (so if you had 80%MR then the spell has a 20% chance of hitting). AFAIK there is no advantage of having MR greater than 100%, as the spell already isn't going to hit.

10. Fly2tHeSkY

But it does concern it for magic damage resistance because the more you have, the more you'd get healed if you were to be bit with magic damage! I GET IT NOW! :grin:

11. starwalker Gems: 16/31

As I have said. More than 100% Magic Resistance only matters in one particular instance. If you get hit by Lower Resistance or Pierce shield. Both spells would reduce your resistance to less than 100%. However I can't recall anybody except maybe Mellisan using such a thing. Or maybe that's just after I installed Ascension.

So there is 1 and only 1 advantage to having more than 100%. It is also a very specific case that it is an advantage and rarely come across but it is still the one and only advantage to having more.

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Thankyou Star! Seriously, I can't believe I didn't know about any of this untill now! Facts of the series I guess, there's so much going on so you're bound to miss something! :D

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

IIRC, elemental resistances are capped at %127. You can have %127 fire resistance for instance, and if you are struck with fire you will be healed for the amount of %27 HP it would normally cause. So if it does normally 100 damage to someone who has no resistance (dragon breath!), it will heal 27 HP to your character. If you have %100 resistance you will simply be immune and take no damage. If you have more than %100, you will be healed.

I don'T think it is easy to reach MAGIC resistance of %100+ though.

14. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Only monks can have 100+% of magic resistance easily. My monk has 118% with only the Ring of Gaxx and the Amulet of Seldarine (and of course good hell reward, Lum's machine and David Gaiden's Bhaal powers).

I was wondering about what Silverstar asked earlier, though. What is the difference between Magic Fire resistance and normal Fire resistance? As far as I can tell, normal fire resistance will affect all fire attacks, and Magic Fire resistance doesn't help in any way.

15. starwalker Gems: 16/31

I haven't figured out the difference myself for the difference between normal and magical fire/cold resistance. In table top there was a difference in that certain spells and objects would cause one over the other. I don't remember why though at this point. It's been a really long time for me on that stuff.

16. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Fire, cold, magical fire and magical cold are four different damage types. But I can't find anything anywhere that does magical fire or magical cold damage. Fireballs do normal fire damage, even Dragon's Breath does normal fire damage. Cone of cold and ice storm both do normal cold damage. I guess it was never properly implemented.

17. Fly2tHeSkY

So does that mean that all fire/cold damage is the same as magical fire/cold damage and will therefore be able to be resisted or whatever if you have the appropriate % of resistance?

18. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No, it means that magic fire/cold damage was simply never implemented in BG2. So all attacks with fire use normal fire damage. The same goes for cold damage.

It's just as well, I guess, because as far as i know, there are no items which give magic fire/cold resistance. Only the Prot. from Fire/Cold spells add to this, and druids gain some resistance to it at higher levels. But that's all the magic fire/cold resistance I've ever seen.

19. Fly2tHeSkY

Yeh, I think it's just 'normal' fire or cold damage hey, not magic damage. I guess that means the items that help to resist them won't change then.

20. starwalker Gems: 16/31

The Only time I remember seeing it is on The Shape Shifter druid myself. But maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to magic fire/cold resistances.

it may well be something they had and took out in playtesting but a couple things got missed or something.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.