1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Make Joseph Kony Famous

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't know Tal, this video doesn't really convince me of anything. I read up on the financials of Invisible Children, and a lot of their funds go to raising awareness around the world, rather than going directly to Uganda. Based on their stated mission, that seems entirely reasonable to me. I won't comment on the salaries of their employees... but I suppose they should get paid for their work, right? And anyway, if someone makes $90k a year helping them do this work (according to this girl), well, so what I guess. He/she probably could be making more somewhere else. Even crusaders have to pay their bills. If they pay someone else less, they are probably getting a less skilled individual to perform the work, and the quality would suffer.

At any rate, for anyone who's watched the video, the reasons why they're going after Kony are explained. These people spent time in Uganda (not Syria) and were impacted by what they saw and experienced there. They made friends who's loved ones were killed by Kony and his crew and whose lives are still very much impacted by Kony's deeds. Does the fact that his reign of terror seems to be winding down excuse him from justice? Do we in the other parts of the world write off serial killers because they haven't killed anyone in a few years? I think not. Do you really think kids who were forced to kill their own parents in Kony's name are ready to just let him slide, because he's not as active these days?

Sure, there are probably hundreds of targets they could have chosen, but they chose the one who is nearest and dearest to their hearts, and they're doing a damn good job getting the word out. I say, more power to them! Of course there will be naysayers. The more they get their message out there, the more people who will find fault with what they're doing. But I see reason to condemn what they are doing just because some girl whose family is from Uganda isn't a supporter of the movement. And so, I continue to support them.

We're all entitled to our opinions, of course.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's fine really, it can certainly only be beneficial if Kony is brought to justice, no matter what the cost. But given that he's not even in Uganda any more I think his capture is unlikely as the Ugandan soldiers can't cross the borders and soldiers from other countries aren't going to go searching for him in the jungles for months on end unless they're going to get paid for it. So I think this will all end in a massive income boost for the campaign with no real results in the end. But we'll see soon enough in any case, I guess.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It sounded like the point about Kony being outside Uganda was really just a rumor. So who knows. I guess if I were Kony, and I were in Uganda, I'd be working on getting the hell out!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Free Kony!

Ok, I'm not trying to offend anyone with that. And I realize now that it isn't even a remotely proper thing to say. I've seen the Kony video pop up on Facebook a couple times the last week. I saw the first two minutes or so, and got bored with it. I got the idea that Kony was a freedom warrior held captive or something like that, and that the video was a plea for his release. Browsing the BoM and seeing the title "Make Joseph Kony Famous" didn't bring me to any other ideas, until I started reading the posts in this thread. I knew the name Kony, like the video wanted, even tho I didn't see the whole thing, but I thought they were trying to bring a whole different thing to my attention. Experiment failed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. Marceror

Media:
    Don't you mean Free Willy?

Is that what all this is about? A big plug for the latest in the Free Willy line of motion pictures! Awesome! Can't wait!

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's a little late to try to free Tookie.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe. Well, Kony hasn't even been captured yet. But they're both criminals... unlike Willy :)

Splunge likes this.
  10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Willy was an orca, i.e. killer whale. Last time I checked, killers are criminals. Duh! :p

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Bah! How un-PC of you to call the orcas "killer whales". That's like calling the mentally challenged "retards"! What a poor choice of words... "killer": You might as well call yourself a killer. "whale": They're more closely related to dolphins than other whales. :p

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, to me the fact that he hasn't been seen in Uganda for about 10 years doesn't make him any less of a war criminal. It took 10 years to bring OBL to justice, but I don't think many Americans were of the "forgive and forget" mindset. It did get to the point where I never thought we were going to find him, but that didn't mean anyone wanted him to walk a free man.

And that's suggesting that someone with a salary of $90K a year is making a lot of money. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but there are many places in the US where an annual salary like that isn't a ton of money, especially since the guy isn't single and is supporting a family on it. Given those factors, the guy is middle class - perhaps somewhat above average. No way is he wealthy on that much money.

Exactly.

Wait a second, are you serious? Is this sarcasm? You knew the name Kony, but you thought he was a freedom fighter instead of a war criminal?

13. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's a scam!

Just an open invitation for the establishment/special interest groups to cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war... and liberate yet another people...with bombs or invasion.
    To kill people who kill people...because killing people is bad.

People don't get the whole "warlord" thing.
    Every loon in African-outback, with a five-man-gang considers himself a warlord.
    And thinks he's bigger-badder-better than the rest.

Bah....

14. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I only saw the first two minutes of the video. I didn't get the idea that he was a war criminal from those first two minutes. I didn't bother watching the rest :p (it seemed very boring from those first two minutes, didn't feel like spending half an hour watching it). So yeah, the video succeeded in making me familiar with the name Kony, I just got the wrong impression (didn't know him before that). Also because of things like "Make Kony Famous", "Make Kony Infamous" would be a better title. Also, I saw somebody put the word Kony (just his name) as one of those new Facebook timeline banners... why would somebody do this with a war criminal? I jumped to conclusions, which were obviously the wrong one, but I didn't see any evidence contradicting my conclusions until I started reading the posts here.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Oh, OK. And I agree - infamous would have been a better choice than famous, as famous implies well known for something positive, whereas infamous leaves no doubt that you are famous for the wrong reasons.

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A must-watch.

WARNING: Contains a single F-bomb and one or two instances of the brown word...but otherwise is perfectly family-friendly.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    joacqin likes this.
  17. Marceror

Media:
    Isn't this a little like saying, this isn't family friendly, but is otherwise family friendly? :p

Or perhaps this was just you being humorous.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yeah, not family friendly, but fairly interesting, especially if it's true.

19. Marceror

Media:
    I just watched the video, and his whole premise was that the organization was potentially going to do more harm than good. But he never back that premise up with anything except a few jokes and by making mention that several of their videos never mention Uganda. And then he finally insinuates that their organization is somehow modelling Kony's because they are recruiting large numbers of kids (without any abucting, killing guns or violence as far as I could see, but more likely a religious youth outreach)? Where was the "more harm than good part at?"

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I wonder whether it would be more apt to make Kony infamous, but that's probably just me.

I knew about the guy before, know he is a brutal bastard, but hardly the only one on the African continent. Wearing and paying for t-shirts in the US is hardly going to contribute to the capture of a guy who's been hiding out in a vast and inaccessible jungle area for the better part of a decade. It's more about making the wearers feel good about themselves.

The vid was very professionally made, glitzy and all that. I found all that web 2.0 stuff ludicrous. I disliked the video strongly, because it appealed to emotion rather than reason. I always get a nagging feeling when people do that, as if they have something to hide, namely that their rational reasons don't suffice. The vid at times used traditional propaganda like when they blended in iirc Hitler and skulls. I found unexpected and unintentional irony in the author pressing his kid into service for this video about Kony. And then they go Inhofe to speak?

This is the new breed of goody good propaganda. The 'Make Kony Famous Campaign' has as their return address a professional D.C. PR firm. Last time I looked such guys don't work for free. That much for net roots. Bah.

The only thing I agree with them on is that it is a good idea to try Kony at the ICC.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.