1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mathematics

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Jul 19, 2007.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

To clarify, I am an ESL teacher working with recent immigrants to Canada. When I saw they were having troubles with some word problems, I took the english component out of a few questions to see if the language used was too hard. Turned out the language wasn't the only thing they were lost on.

As for you, DR, I writes the good grammar when I feels like it or when it gets me high marcks, but hear I talk the weigh I speek! :p

ps -- apologies in advance to Tal, I'll be good from here on out!

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maths -- you crack me up sometimes HB.

ESL class anyone (I've only heard the term 'maths' from students weak in English -- and there are a lot of them in 'maths' and sciences). kuemper is quite correct math is short for mathematics.

I don't use math as much as I used to, but I'm still a physical chemist (which means I studied the theoretical/physics side of chemistry). I enjoy getting into the theoretical side of things. I'm currently trying to understand physical results of my products by redefining equations used for steel failures to work with polymers. Just a little integration, differentiation, and adjusting the parameters of the equations to fit the actual application.

But I have no desire to get back into eigenfunctions, Hermitian operators, and tensor analysis.

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Just for the record, I still use calculus, trigonometry, 3D Euclidean geometry, linear algebra, differential equations, complex numbers, fourier transform, probability and statistics. So it's still very useful and applicable to me.

It's the Real Analysis stuff that I loathe, that repelled me from math, and that I do not find helpful. Sets of such and such functions with this or that property and some guy's theorem and its proof... I'll gladly let that go over my head.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Math...ugh...

I'm doing phasor diagrams/phasor math to calculate capacitance, capacitive reactance, and other crap like that. An Electronics Engineering degree sucks in the fact that you have to do so much math. :nolike: :rrolling:

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I wasn't that good at math but I didn't suck eggs at it either. I went through my share in a BS Economics undergrad. God I hate calculus.

6. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I've been doing maths at university for the past three years...

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I've always been good at it and always loved it (except trig, I had an EVIL teacher for trig), which is good since I'm an engineer and advanced math is very important to my career and all. Then again, if I weren't good at math, I'd probably have never become an engineer... so... um.. . . . ... Yeah.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I find that Math helps me with some strategy games as well. It's nice to be able to quickly analyze options and determine the best course of action...

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We created computers just so we wouldnt have to lower ourself to dealing with mathematics. Let computers and the occasional freak who creates computers delve into the devilry of mathematics and let human brains and minds focus on more important things.

In case you couldnt figure it out for yourselves I hate math and been bad at it since the 8th grade.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I can come along with the basic math and some of the more advanced stuff, since I was forced to minor in it. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no interest in maths/statistics/whatnot, so usually the results aren't that good. And the old-fashioned way to pass those courses isn't helping any.

What could be more tedious than having three hours of math in school and then spend another three working on your homework usually without even knowing what it's good for or how it is actually used? So, yeah; I'll be happy to leave it to the machines.

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I always liked math and was pretty good at it. My degree is in Applied Math. I am a software developer now, and don't have the opportunity to use much of what I studied. I still enjoy reading math related books (like the excellent "Journey through Genius", "Mathematical Tourist", and "Chaos").

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Back! Back foul demon! I vowed never to see that term again after completing my thesis using that form of spectroscopy!

I was always pretty good in math, although I have to admit, there is very little application to what I learned that I need to do my job. I think the thing is, once you start getting into the advanced math, like advanced calculus, diff eqs, etc., even if you learn how to do it, I don't know anyone who actually enjoys doing that stuff. I, like T2B have a career in the sciences - although I'm biochemistry - so yeah, you need some math. It's one thing to know how to solve a problem when it's job related, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to enjoy doing it.

Sidenote: I also have lowered my standards from desiring a career I find enjoyable to a career I find tolerable. The reason we say we're "going to work" and don't say "going to fun" is because work is not necessarily intended to be fun. Hmmm... I smell a new topic.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I hated arithmetic in grade school and just scraped by but when I hit High School with Algebra, Geometry, etc I came into my own. I loved it and was fortunate in having a great teacher. I used to do mathematical problems for fun and I love problem solving.

I do not like statistics and am not up-to-date on some of the newer and more modern mathematics. (kuemper is correct about the word math).

I studied and taught modern mathematics. Even wrote a grade school modern math course. It broke my heart when I saw what was done to modern mathematics.

14. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I have always hated math. I did very poorly at it until I got into college when I found to my surprise that I could actually do it well if I tried. Regardless, as an English major I only took the bare minimum so I never advanced beyond geometry.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.