1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

'Misunderstood Personalities' - The game

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by olimikrig, Sep 20, 2005.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, my PC has three, in case of one should brake. I have ~20,000GP atm, so the 4gp a spear would give me, is really that much ;) .

You mean BG1, right? Iirc, yes there is. I just haven't stumbled upon one as it is. There IS magical spears in bg2 (otherwise my item pack would have implemented quite a few anyways :p ).

There's no mobs immune to norm weaps in bg 1, iirc that is!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ask away .

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Oh stupid me, I was in a haste so mistyped a few things, NOW edited though.

Yes ofcourse I meant in BG1, I know BG2 afterall, and you are not playing it for now right?

Anyway, isn't there at least a zombie or undead critter immune to NW? Then magical weapons are not htat precious (but still they are rare soo...) Or do mages cast PfNW, speaking of which is 5th level so probably offlimits of BG1? OK! :)

In the screenshot, when Safana hits the druid, why does he make a save vs death? Is her weapon poisonous? Does she have a kit? Just curious you know!

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    But magical weapons are very important in bg1!

--*tiny SPOILER*--
    An Iron shortage has wrecked regular metal, so any non-magical weapons are bound to break...

I think that a few mages in ToSC has Protection from normal weaps (by then you'll have magical weapons for all anyways), and maybe some mages in the late stages too.. (can't remember whether doon guards and such are immune to normal weapons).

Yes, and yes... She dual wields a dagger +2 and a dagger of venom +2... She's also swashbuvkler, btw...

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Don't worry, he'll run into a magical spear soon enough. IIRC, there's one in the mines and one in the city. There's also a halberd +1 way down to the south, but...meh.

Well, I believe the revenant is immune, but he's not someone I'd chance going up against with this group. :shake: Since there's no PfNW spell in the game, I'd guess nobody casts it, and using melee weapons will bypass the ever-popular PfNM (Missiles).

@olimikrig:
    Are you not going to do all the side-quests, or will you be revisiting areas? Also, could you give us a screenshot of what your worldmap looks like?

5. olimikrig

Media:
    Nope, only doin' areas relevant to the main quest. I'm RPing this one as best as I can, and my PC truely is "canon", somewhat at least. He don't like the adventuring al that much, and as you can see he's not much of a "sure, I'll help you" guy :p .
    SO I'm basically goin' like this(*SPOILER ALERT*):

Nashkell->Bandit Camp->Cloakwood mines->Ugloth's beard and werewolf Island->Baldur's Gate->Candlekeep revisited->Durlag's Tower :shake: ->Baldur's Gate Revisited....

The ToSC part is givin' me quite some troubles, as I can't really get it to "fit in", so might end up dishing it...

Sure, I'll do it asap ;) .

World map's here :D

[ October 03, 2005, 21:23: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

6. Felinoid

Cool, they got it all in one screen. :thumb: BTW, I've just started up my archer party again (in Ulcaster) and rediscovered that Mustard Jellies are immune to normal weapons. Something to keep in mind if you happen to meet one. :mommy:

EDIT: Don't know why I just thought of this, but BMU is out of the question, right?

7. olimikrig

Media:
    Nope, I just gathered them to give the thread a fancy look, and the sake of simplicity :p

Ehm... BMU :hmm:

[ October 03, 2005, 23:56: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

8. Felinoid

Big Metal Unit; you know, the pantaloons.

9. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Aren't Dread Wolves or somesuch doggies immune to normal weapons? Maybe the Flesh Golem was too, not sure. There are immune thingies like that occasionally.

10. olimikrig

Media:
    :doh: of course... Nay, that's not allowed ;) have already thrown away the Golden Pantaloons.
    The Silvertar special edition
    For the sake of anyone who'd read this, and don't want any Spoiler(s), I've posted the links to each of the SS's below, and provided a short description.
    If you don't want Spoilers, then do not read one!
    Gee, Safana! You really *are* a master scout
    *Sigh* Yet another pestering Bard
    Giant SPiders'
    Paralyzation, thou art forever mine friend!
    We fear no Mage (well, maybe just a wee )

Thus far(*SPOILERS AHEAD!*)
    We decided that helping Tiber simply wasn't worth the effort, so I sent Safana ahead, cloaked in the shadows. She stumbled upon a goup of Ettercap's a wee north of us. As the born scout she is, she returned and notified us of the forthcoming threat. After a short briefing, a plan was quickly established:
    Safana would sneak ahead, and one by one luring the ettercaps into our nest; facing them all at once would surely be a grave mistake indeed!
    So much for that plan! Safana your moron! Well, despite the unfortunate turn of events, we managed to overcome anyways (without Garrick dying, mind you :rolleyes: ).

After travelling a wee further north, Safana scanned the area once more. It proved safe, so we decided to set camp. Garrick (why do I even bother dragging this guy along?
    I mean it's *always* Garrick! Oh yes, I forgot hoe invaluable brave brave (sir) Garrick is with his warhammer and he's oh-so-not-annoying-at-all cheerful spirit :p bah), of course fell asleep, in the midst of our slumber, we were besieged! Oo so we thought, it was just yet another, *sigh*, Bard named Eldoth, who sought our help, in the return of his favors. We needed an extra man (though *not* an extra Bard), so we accepted.

I figured that this man needed a more, hmm, suitable weapon, so we headed towards the Friendly Arm Inn, in the hopes that Bentley would have something neat
    in stock for us.. On the way, though, we were attacked by giant spiders! :eek: *Pfew*, I'd almost drawn my last breath there! Oh what a cruel fate hatest I but naught kicked Garrick one last time in the rear-end!
    I decided to give Eldoth a Quarterstaff! Nothing beats a good ol' quarterstaff, right? Guys? Safana? meh -.-

Note to self: Do NOT ever again send Garrick shopping (*Grrr* that name again)! The idiot was supposed to go to the temple and buy us a few bottles of healing potions and antidotes. The moron returned with no less than 20 elexir's of healing (No cheap stuff for us he said, only elixir's of healing, the most expensive ones, are good enough) and 15 potions of Antidote!?! That's a sum fo 7000gp for potions! Idiot, moron, imbecile, retard!

I was nearing my destination: The Iron Throne outpost located in the CLoakwood forest, when a bear(what takes?) attacked me... Quickly Xan tried a Colour Spray on it, though it did'na work.. How sad, now we have to travel to the frickin' Friendley Arm Inn once *again* to get the prick resurrected!

As we encountered a group of Talsoi's, events took an - unfortunate - turn. Back to the FAI, resurrect the group, etc. etc. etc.... Ye' know teh drill by now.

Finally we had arrived: the cloakwood mines stood before us as a bastion of all that is rotten! So collosal! How would we ever overcome one must ask himself.
    The usual precautions was taken: spells, pots, etc.. Safane hid, and snoke up to scout ahead.
    Slowly Safana approached. She spotted two mages and two fighter. She re-drawed so that only he who seemed to be the leader was in sight, and used her ring of
    Energy... This, of course, triggered yet another speach Weak-one-die-by-my-sword-etc. gibberish.... Well, he followed and Paralyzation, thou art forever mine friend!
    After numerous tries, Xan finally achieved to charm the second fighter, to much yayness of the group :banana: .
    This time, we decided to fully charge the two remaining mages. The plan was to try to paralyze one, and charm the other (and should things go wrong, we could
    always sacrifice either Garrick. *ehm* I-I mean we could always sacrifice the charmed Genthore, of course, hehe :hahaerr: .
    Well, at first we did'na succeed at either, but as the dimension doored mage re-appeared, the wand stroke successfully :evil: ...
    We quickly charged at the second mage; Xan tried another Charm, but didn't succeed. The mage got off a Horror spell, so we decided that the wise decision would be to focus entirely at the mage, saving his summons for later he went down easy. After that we slaughtered the paralyzed mage, and then we faced focus upon the summons, which died with the help of not so few potions of healing.

Now, we couldn't have Genthore suddenly turning upon *us*, so we gathered around him, and fought like real warriors(well, we tried at the very least!
    With the death of him, we could finally turn to the mines themselves, and whatever danger's waiting us within....

[ October 04, 2005, 00:01: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  11. Felinoid

@Susipaisti:
    Yeah, olim's going to have to be on the lookout for Vampiric Wolves and Flesh Golems, too. But thankfully, Doom Guards don't have immunity. They'd cut this group to ribbons, though.

@olimikrig:
    Remember you can rest just outside in the mine area. You'll probably need all the spells you've got to take on the two Doom Guards and Davaeorn. :mommy:

12. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Why is Garrick alive in these pictures...? I sense there is be sorcery at work here....!

13. olimikrig

Media:
    @ Fel
    I'm planning on disabling the traps, so the Doom Guards won't appear :p

@ Malovae
    He was actually death on one o' the SS's, it just didn't save proper, so when I looked in the SS folder after shutting down, it wasn't there :rolleyes:

14. olimikrig

Media:
    Well, here's what surely is my longest post so far (in this thread, anyways).

The Silvertar special edition
    For the sake of anyone who'd read this, and don't want any Spoiler(s), I've posted the links to each of the SS's below, and provided a short description.
    If you don't want Spoilers, then do not read one!

Stupid idiotic guard! I'm not here to buy iron, I'm here to kill you! Say hello to Mr. Spear, and Missus dagger :evil:
    A plan unfolds!
    Yikes! Ehm, mates. Mates, can you please come here?
    Please oh mighty lizard, grand me men the powers they need.
    Well that's not fair! Fortuna, why doest the torment my little group so?.
    Can't you keep alive for just five minutes, Garrick?
    Now I've got two dead bards to carry along!
    A little hand-to-hand with a mageling resulted in the death of Xan :cry: , we're all going to miss his cheerful spirit. Well, sh*t happens and all that I guess. The show had to go on, with or without him.
    A guard Attacked us as we entered this lvl. He got the better half of Eldoth :eek: , now we're only three to do the job from hereon
    Finally we stood face-to-face with this feared mage!
    Oh glorius day! I slaughtered the vile bastard...

Thus far
    At the entrance to the mines we were attacked by yet another guard. This place is quite well protected. We killed the bastard.

Many of of us still had bleeding wounds from the fierce battle of the gates, so we moved to a safer area within the Cloakwood, and set camp for a couple of days, while we healed.

---Each day that passes I feel more and more, - tainted, somehow. I keep having these bad dreams, loose my temper over minor issues, and enjoy the killing, the more of it I does.
    What is wrong with me? All that fills me now is revenge! Revenge over me beloved Gorion...
    Was it he who hold me at bay? Kept these feelings I'm overwhelmed by at distance? These questions pops up in my mind, as I'm sitting here, writing this. Who am I, and why did Gorion raise me, why did the armoured man try to kill me? Questions, only questions! No answers.. *sigh*

Within the mines themselves, a guard immediately spotted us. We had to dispatch of him, before he'd get time to warn other guards of our intrusion.

Further within the darkness of the mines, a peculiar man approached us. he went down from a swift swing of goof ol' Mr. Spear.

As we met a miner in the northern regions of the first mine level, a plan unfolded! The miner held the secret of flooding the mines, if we could only get to the key. Unfortunately the key was in the possession of the mine posterior, a man named Daveron. We would have to find a way to get it from him. I doubt, though, that he can be persuaded into handing it over with anything but the end of a sword (even though we own no such thing, mind you “Daggers for everyone!”).

We ran into a group of well-armed brigands! Yikes! Guys, I could use some help here... It was a slaughter, I tell ya. Quickly, I ran for cover. Xan was successful at charming the two guards who'd follow me, we sent them out as bait, to see what waited for us. Well, that wasn't a very cheerful sight, I can tell you. They were torn apart by four or so Black Talon Elite archers. Slowly Xan approached the room, focused, prepared (well as prepared as an melancholic homesick elf can get). As he saw the mage he quickly threw charm person. Success! The archer tore her down immediately after she turned “green”.

After that, there weren't really much to do, besides simply charging, and praying that the wand of paralysed charm spells would be successful.
    Well, successful wouldn't quite be the right term here. Disaster might fit this scene better. The wand of paralyse worked quite well. Garrick got one of right after we entered the room. Xan tried a charm person again, but it failed. He was taken down by a poisonous arrow. Garrick got off another paralyse, as our comrades fell like flies around us. One were still left, and I didn't want to use the wand, as we need to save it for re-charge. Finally, we managed to take down the last fighter, as Garrick went into an offensive spin.

Garrick and I (imagine having no other company than Garrick for the time being!?!) gathered our fallen comrades gear, and looted the corpses of the cold, dead bandits. We headed for the Beregost temple, evading random encounters as they occurred (Wyverns are nasty beasts).
    After getting the fellows raised we went to the city to purchase supplies, as Eldoth needed a new armour; the temple provided us with the healing we needed.

Mental Note: Gather 16k so you can re-buy the valuable wand of pluralization; or is that paralyzation? :rolleyes: .

Back in the mines, Safana hid in the shadows, and went scouting the area ahead. The stairs was in the room next to us, but I figured we better go search for this Rill. We'd promised to secure the release of the slaves before flooding the mine, and a promise is a promise, even if it's a promise made to a low bandit's slave.
    Rill was in the prison, located just below the stairs room... We gave him the 100gp he needed to bribe the captain on the 2nd floor.
    With that done, we headed for the lower lvls.

*Gulp*Guys, any suggestionsXan got of a charm person, and we send a guard attracting the attention of the archers. This, however, wasn't quite enough, and an arrow took down Garrick. So we threw yet another charm person, and send a second guard down this time really securing that the two unoccupied archers would have their hands full, by first attacking one, and as soon as he drew his sword, quickly attacking the other, as the first archer followed.
    They slaughtered their former allies with ease, but unfortunately our second bard, Eldoth, died by the sword of an un-charmed guard. The remaining of us surrounded the guards one by one, and killed them.

We neither had the money nor the time to get the fallen friends raised, so we had to continue as it were.

Safana again went in hide, and searched some of the northern rooms. She found a few weaker guards, nothing she couldn't handle by herself.
    A little hand-to-hand with a mageling resulted in the death of Xan :cry: , we're all going to miss his cheerful spirit. Well, sh*t happens and all that I guess. The show had to go on, with or without him.

A guard Attacked us as we entered this lvl. He got the better half of Eldoth :eek: , now we're only three to do the job from hereon.

Safana spotted A trap in the halway. She told me her divine oracle, Felinoid or some such, had warned her they would summon forth a couple of Doom guards (one can only shiver at the mere mentioning of this horror!).

Finally we stood face-to-face with this feared mage! He kept teleporting from room to room. We got him occasionally, and as he finally ran out of teleport spells, we got him to near death. But then he held Garrick, and summoned forth a pack of ogres, that killed Garrick on sight. Now, I was wearing the boots of speed, and was all alone against a powerful mage, and a pack of nasty summons. Quickly I ran for it, and waited for the spell to run out.

By the time I was ready, Daveron had fully healed :eek: ! I drank a potion of Magic blocking, prayed to every god I knew, and charged... Oh glorius day! I slaughtered the vile bastard... Now I didn't want to miss out on any goodies, and between the two of us, 12 strength doesn't allow you to take that much... Soo I went to the FAI, got me mates raised, and returned to loot the place prior to flooding it.

We flooded the mine, killing the damn bandits within it! Oh what a joyus day this was!

Now, the great city of Baldur's Gate awaits us, one can only guess what dangers lie ahead...

[ October 05, 2005, 05:31: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

15. Felinoid

:lol: I AM A GOD!!! ... er, oracle. Whatever.

BTW, how did Garrick spring back to life? :confused:

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Very interesting battle! Your PC is a wonder to finish the 'bos' guy without any NPCs (they are all dead) via critical hit, and a chunky death once again! Brilliant! And he has 12 str yes? Well even Nalia is stronger than him in muscles, though his kensai training gives him much many bonuses! :D

A few questions:

*I noticed a mage named Hareishan dying in one SS. I remember battling a vampire named Hareishan in BG2, is there a connection? Or Hareishan has a meaning I do not know?

*Grrick was dead, then he was alive in the next SS, as Fel mentioned? How? Did you load? (no shame on that)

*What are your levels, (again) and can you tell me the death counts (who killed the most? You?)

17. olimikrig

Media:
    @Fel
    I had to re-load after the first battle against the mage :( , she got Yulp with a Melf's Acid arrow.

Not as far as I know.

Question answered above.

MY party's lvls are 5-6, and had I used a regular party, Us hould have been able to do the mines with no deaths :p

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Erm you got me wrong, I just wanted the know the percentage of kills, for example what % Yulp killed and what was most powerful vanquished, that sort of things. Does BG1 have this function, but then you have TuTU so...?

And, why is Safana transformed into a dog (or wolf) in SSs? Is she an illegal swashbuckler/druid??? It's her special ability? Or is there an item that enables the wearer to shapechange at will? :eek:

Forgive me I am very ignorant about BG1, but in BG2, in Elven forest or such, I remember killing werewolves who tricked a guy and a lass and kiled them (also NPCs from BG1?) IS there a connection?

19. olimikrig

Media:
    Yulp
    Most powerful vanquished: Davaeorn
    Total exp value in party: 56%
    % of total kill: 54%
    exp value of kills: 37427
    Number of kills: 131

Garrick
    Most powerful vanquished: Sirine
    Total exp value in party: 13%
    % of total kill: 9%
    exp value of kills: 9244
    Number of kills: 23

Safana
    Most powerful vanquished: Drasus
    Total exp value in party: 20%
    % of total kill: 19%
    exp value of kills: 13392
    Number of kills: 46

Xan
    Most powerful vanquished: Sil
    Total exp value in party: 9%
    % of total kill: 13%
    exp value of kills: 6210
    Number of kills: 38

Eldoth
    Most powerful vanquished: Worg
    Total exp value in party: 0%
    % of total kill: 0%
    exp value of kills: 121
    Number of kills: 1% :lol:

Here ya go ;)

Cloak of the wolf: shapechange into a wolf at will ;)

Yep those two are NPC's from BG1 (can't recall the name of the male).

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Cloak of the Wolf? It sounds like a cool item, can I SK it to BG2?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.