1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More evidence that Episode III is going to suck?!?!?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sir Belisarius, May 24, 2004.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It was just a rumour; the name can be anything when they officially publish it. :rolleyes:

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You know Ghen has a point. It's better to have one slightly overrated :rolleyes: starting movie and a slightly better second movie and a whopper of an ending movie.

Than it is to have two super movies and one major dissapointment as an ending movie.

BTW, Lego star wars rule!

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Do we need evidence beyond the existence of episodes 1 and 2? :p

BTW - about Lego Star Wars. I work with a guy who has the X-Wing and Star Destroyer Lego models in his cubicle at work. We call him Lego Doug.

Lego Doug builds the Star Destroyer

I'm in one of these pics. At the bottom of the page, on the right, with my back to the camera:
    Lego Doug brings it to work

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Holy moly that thing is massive. I bet it cost an arm and a leg. Even the smallest Star Wars lego pack that only has one speeder-bike is too expensive for me.

5. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I think that both Episode 1 and 2 were extremely bad, and I took offense that films like that can be let out on the open market. But still, Episode 2 was by far the worst. I really hope 3 will be better...

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Here is one reviewer's (James Berardinelli)defence of The Phantom Menace that he wrote on 22 June 2004:

The Phantom Defence

I tend to agree with most of his comments that this movie was nowhere near as bad as everyone makes out. I still think Episode III will rock.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Rather than starting a new topic, I thought this might be a good place to post this:

Matthew Stover, the author for the novelized version of Episode III (Terry Brooks did Episode I, R.A. Salvatore did II) has this to say...

From his official site:

I didn't like the first two Pequel movies when I first saw them. I suppose, like many other fans, I was really hoping for something that would be the Original Trilogy Bigger, Faster, and Louder.

But --

After reading the script for Ep III, I went back and watched I and II again, and they were MUCH more enjoyable to me when I looked at them as parts of an organic whole. There is a real emotional arc to the whole story, and it works for me. I think it's gonna work for nearly all of you, too.

This is what I truly believe: when Ep III comes out, there will be a radical re-evaluation of the first two films, not unlike what I went through.

I really think it's gonna be that good.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The first three films had a sweet simplicity to them that rocked, as well as a compelling storyline (note I didn't say perfect storyline, but a good one nonetheless.) The acting rocked and the overall effect was one of wonder -- as a book I once read pointed out, Star Wars is not science fiction, it is mythic fantasy, with the Death Star being the Castle, Vader the Dragon, Luke the Boyish Hero, aided by the Rogue, Han Solo, and guided by a Father-God sort of figure in Kenobi, not to mention the sexy princess in distress.

Is there any of that mythic feel in these last two outings? Not for me there isn't; it got caught up in trying to be realistic politically and relying on computer effects (I find it telling that the effects in "A New Hope" were almost all handcrafted, not computer generated.) I see them because the good stuff shines through on occasion, and because I'm curious as to what old George has in mind as the events before A New Hope.

9. Harbourboy

I still loved all five films. Better than most of the dross coming out these days.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] OK, it's official. It was announced at ComicCon this weekend. It's Revenge of the Sith. Can't go wrong with that, especially with the nice parallel to Return of the Jedi.

There is some simplicity to the original trilogy, but it's not like it's completely devoid of complexity. In ANH you have Obi-Wan and Vader mysteriously hinting at the past. You have the concept of the Force as well. You have talk of Emperors dissolving the Senate. You have Han, who is neither really a full good guy or a guy out for himself until the end of the film. In ESB, you have the whole "I am your father" twist. You have complexities coming from Yoda and Obi-Wan talking about the past and "that boy is our last hope". And then there's the classic scene right smack dab in the middle of ESB, where the stark lines between good and evil, black and white are decidely blurred, and that's the scene with Luke in the cave on Dagobah. Lando is neither good, nor bad himself. Cue ROTJ, in where Luke constructs a complex plan where he tries to reason and negotitate with Jabba first (the sign of a true Jedi) and then he has to lay the smack down when that doesn't work out. The Emperor's "trap" is just as complex. There is ongoing tension between Vader and Luke each struggling with the light side and dark side within themselves. In fact, when you think about it, the original trilogy is in fact, quite complex. We've just had more time for it to grow on us.

11. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

But how complex is Jar Jar supposed tobe? How does Lucas explain the plotline inconsistencies he forced on us from what he alluded about the past in 4,5,6 and the past as shown in 1,2, and (I'msure the trend will continue)3? That's right he doesn't. He is a control freak. He hates that the movies became so huge that they didn't belong tohim anymore, they belong to everyone who loves them, and decided to make them his again. I beleive his plot inconsistencies were concious to let everyone whowasn't George Lucas know who those movies belonged to. We still go to see his movies even though we know they're jerking us around. I hate you George Lucas, I hate your "new" star wars, and I hate that Iwon't be able to resist going to see Episode 3.

12. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ever wonder how technology went "backwards" in Star War history? I wonder how Luke and Obi never had that double light laser (or whatever) sabre when in the "past" they exists? I wonder how/when Obi forgot to fight like Bruce Lee...
    The new episodes (1 & 2) have too many "romantic" moments; too much "talking moments", adapted, I guess, to the way that movies are made today; the old trilogy is fast, full of action and has a decent (by that time) storyline; I don't know why Lucas made this 2 new episodes so large, I found several times in those movies boring, like "where is the Fast Forward button?".

13. Big B Gems: 27/31

The progression from the glossy technology of TPM and the parts of AOTC are evolving under necessity of war. This will be shown well in Revenge of the Sith. It makes sense that technology is still good, but resources are more scarce for the Rebels come the time of the OT. Plus, because of it's sheer size, the Empire focuses on resources that are efficient, not necessarily because they have a shiny gloss on them and prettier instrumentation panels. Everything in the galaxy gets banged up during the Clone Wars and the Emperor's reign. That's the point.

At first glance, there may seem to be a discrepency between the amount of time spent of talking and romantic moments as opposed to action moments in the OT vs. the PT, but when put to the test, such is not the case. I once measured in minutes a rough timeline of how much time in each Star Wars movie is spent on action. The results were interesting. I hope to get a more accurate timeline once the SW DVD's come out next month. For example, one thing I noticed was that ANH and TPM had similar amounts of time spent toward action, but the distribution was different. After the initial Rebel Blockade Runner scene in ANH, things don't spice up again until they blast out of Mos Eisley many minutes later (with a short run-in with Tusken Raiders in between.) Well, TPM, has a similar lull spot so to speak, but it's not placed like ANH. It's everything on Tatooine minus the Pod Race and run-in with Darth Maul, and the time spent on Coruscant.

AOTC, ESB, and ROTJ all fall in the same amount of time spent towards action, give or take 5 minutes. I don't have the results with me right now, but like I said I'm timing again, digitally with the DVD's to get an even more accurate assessment shortly.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.