1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Movie Scene Game #3

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by kuemper, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

That's the one. And don't call me Shirley!

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

A corporate tycoon, upon seeing that his orbital weapons platform has been hijacked by an alien and is firing at his research lab, frets about going bankrupt then decides to sit back and enjoy the show - and asks his chauffeur/bodyguard to make him some popcorn. :rolleyes:

4. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The Fifth Element ?

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

heh, don't think i've seen this one.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

No it isn't the Fifth Element.

@ Enagonios - Consider yourself lucky.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah, it's one of those movies eh :D

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I don't imagine that anyone else has seen this turkey yet so I guess another hint is in order.

The film was released Tuesday, direct to video, and undoubtedly was produced to cash in on the hype from another film about the same main character that is to be released in a couple weeks.

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Something to do with UltraViolet?

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

No, nothing to do with UltraViolet.

11. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Then perhaps Aeon Flux?

12. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Ok - Superman? I don't know the exact name but I heard that a new superman TAS film was coming on DVD. Is it not good then?

Well, I might not be right but fits the hints...

Corporate Tycoon = Lex Luthor
    Alien = Superman/Braniac
    chauffeur/bodyguard = Mercy Graves

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yes, it is the new Superman animated film.

The alien in question was Braniac and not Superman himself although Superman was the intended target of the orbital weapon. Interestingly the orbital weapon was pivoting around 30 degrees to track and fire at Superman who was pretty much stationary at the Luthor Lab. I would expect that level of pivoting from an orbital ray weapon would result in the second shot hitting somewhere in Greenland rather than shifting a few meters away but quite frankly that is a minor sin compared to the film's horrible dialogue.

The film was made to look artistically similar to Superman TAS but it is not part of the same continuity and the characters are written (and in the case of Lex Luthor and Braniac voiced) very differently. Bruce Timm and most of his crew were not involved in the project and quite frankly it shows.

Here is a link to some sound clips from the film. They are almost all really, really bad but the last one was particularly painful. It was spoken by Lex Luthor to Superman. Oh, and the "I am so ... happy" one comes from the scene I was describing. The voice acting on that one is absolutely terrible.

Here are a couple reviews from the same site. I personally agree with Bird Boy's review but the other review is only slightly less hostile towards the film.

When the more favourable review states that the film was "a stain on Superman’s shorts as far as I’m concerned" you kind of get the picture of just how bad it is.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That depends on what orbit the weapon was in. For a GEO, then sure you wouldn't expect that. But a polar LEO, you've got the weapon going completely around the Earth every 90 minutes or so, while the Earth is spinning underneath it! ;)

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Gosh, Blackthorne TA is right - I should have been far more diligent in reviewing that scene. ;) :deadhorse:

So I checked it again last night and based upon the positioning of the satelitte relative to the Earth, my best estimate would be that the 30 degree swivel shot should have hit somewhere in Mexico. Amusingly enough the energy weapon swivels right back to its initial position after that shot so apparently Braniac decided to take a break from shooting at Superman and cause some random devestation south of the border.

Interestingly enough, based upon the pattern of fire on the ground scenes I was also able to deduce that the satelitte is apparently capable of moving at tremendous speed (possibly teleportation) and appears to be capable of time travel or some other means of being in two places at the same time. Not only do the beams shift from normally coming in straight vertically to all sort of different angles seemingly at random but it also managed at one point to have two energy beams coming in from two different directions at the same time. It is clearly established that there is only one prototype satelitte and given the angles the damn thing would have to be thousands of kilometers long to manage those two angles at the same time - if it actually had two different energy weapons despite the fact that it clearly appears to be only one. :p

16. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

No Clancy Brown either :(

Ok, new scene

A man is talking over his plans for the evening. By himself. In somebody else's bathroom.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Along Came Polly?

18. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Nope.

Hint: his entertaining soliloquy includes references to morality, loyalty, self-preservation and err... maturbation.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Pulp Fiction?

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, it's Pulp Fiction defo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.