1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mushrooms Growing On North Korea

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Late-Night Thinker, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

We'd still be just as pissed and just as confused. Why on God's green earth would anyone want to nuke New Zealand?

Allow me to show you this comic as pretty much how things are and what we can do to North Korea.

2. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Abomination, Thank you. I needed a laugh! You have things exactly right. Thank you for understanding my feeling too.
    "We'd still be just as pissed and just as confused."

As for your why please!!!! don't ask me as I can think of only reasons against it. Just the most near to home place I could think of for a lot of posters.
    Still laughing and somehow wanting to cry too.

3. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I can see that people abroad have a much greater interest in this whole business.

Right now, everyone's divided on this issue here. Our dear :mad: president has again showed his weenie-a** side by trying to weasel out of 'being too hard on NK'. Meanwhile, our retired military officers are insisting that American nuclear weapons be placed in South Korea again, since NK being armed with nukes means that our former superiority in the form of conventional weapons is pretty much useless. Despite the fact that one nuke in Seoul could instantly kill hundreds of thousands, no one is worried that much.

Geez, we could have another arms race going on here....I SO do not want to be here right now.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So did the DPRK. Until they were caught cheating.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i listened to it as well, and what they said was that they would consider to test nuclear technology with a delivery method (not in those words, i simplified it)

6. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@Shoshino: Yes they did say that.....also.

"So did the DPRK. Until they were caught cheating."

Forgot about that somehow, Ok Iran, be convincing and lets see the power plant start going up while your doing your low level enriching.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Where do you want to be then?

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yeah, I understand exactly where you're coming from. If someone does use nuclear waepons as a threat, you have a right to react. But then in the same sense, North Korea can be seen as having a right to react to the world attitude that they seem to be facing. This is a country, which from my understanding, it's people live off foreign aid. With that cut off, we'd be seeing mass-starvation, as soon as the first crop failures hit.

To be honest, I think a full sanction against North Korea has the possiblity of doing more damage to the people (not to mention the government) than a nuclear bomb dropped on a city - espcailly as some now believe that their bomb was bout 500 tons (compared with Hiroshima which was 13 kilotons).

Probably go crying to the UN, Australia, US or the UK.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

The thing about foreign aid is that it is a 'donation' not a 'tribute'. If these people want to continue to recieve gifts of foreign aid then they'd better uphold the standards the countries who give the aid demand of them. If this country requires foreign aid then why they hell are they spending government money developing nuclear weapons?!

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The people require aid. The government can go and... well, I'd best not finish that setence here, but you get the idea. People should not be made to starve just because their government is made up of lunitics.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31

But then who is responsiable? Surely it would take an idiot to not see that by giving the country this aid they're 'encouraging' the government to pursue its own agenda while not having to worry about taking care of its own people. Now the rest of the world is taking care of the people of a country that the government in turn taxes to fund its nuclear arsenal.

Then I know what would happen if these countries stopped providing aid, they would be the bad guys... There is something HORRIBLY wrong with this picture.

12. Rotku

From my experience, life is never as simple as saying X is responsible. Directly, sure, I can accept that the North Korean government would be responsible for the deaths of its people. But indirectly there are many more players in the game, who should all be held partly responsible as well. Look at the Rwandan Genocide back in 1994. There the Hutu extermists were responsible directly for all those deaths, but the fact the international community were so slow to help certainly puts part of the responsibility on them. Many lives could have been saved through a different (or in that case faster) course of action.

13. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I don't think the civillians should be punished for wee Kims threats. Would you agree to the US being starved for electing a war mongerer twice?

14. Old One

@Rotku: As usual our White house is going a bit to far with the sanctions it is calling for. China is stepping up and at least trying to come up with something. We will just have to see what does or does not work.

{People should not be made to starve just because their government is made up of lunitics.}

Right! But that is what happens. In an earlier post I said I would rather give NK anything it needed to help that country then (changing wording somewhat) have a problem with them. Still stands. No one should be left cold or hungry if something can be done. How though can you hand a plate of food to a person if the one next to them wants to shoot you and has the gun pointed. Time to go home and no more food.
    Most people here (the US) agree with this as can be seen by the fact that American volunteer aid workers are being taken hostage and killed all over the world in countries that might have good reason to hate our leaders and take it out on people helping as best they can. Sometimes it is done to chase out people giving help because it is hard to demonize someone (americans) who is putting in wells, building schools and providing doctors to care for people. A friend of mine all called the "hippy doctor" was killed in one country because he tried to convince gunmen not to take a medicine need for an older lady to live that his group was supplying. Doctors without borders was who he was with.
    Please excuse typos and errors here for a bit, it's 35F here and the D**N 20+ year old heater is out. Not to warm and only 3AM

15. Shoshino

Media:
    while i disagree with working to prevent them from getting nuclear weapons, i agree with not helping them too.

do not place sanctions on them, allow them trade, but cancel their aid.
    make the government look after their own people, and if kim prat decides that its not in his best interests to provide for his people and to persue his nuclear agenda, he'll soon realise his mistake when his industries collapse, his millitary is unpaid and he has no exports to sell abroad because the people are sick and dieing... and now maybe everyone is thinking... "maybe our great leader isnt really so great" but so long as we oppose NK, he will quite easily be able to rally an anti rest-of-the-world sentiment in his people.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31

^^ The slow and painful process of outing a leader, it's better than the alternative than to pour billions of dollars of aid into a country who uses the proceeds to fund its military to assist in supressing their own people so they require aid in the first place.

17. Shoshino

Media:
    if iraq has taught us anything, i think its that if you want to oust a leader, you have to let his people do it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.