1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nalia, the Hopeless...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Koveras, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I once had jan with his own crossbow, bolts o' biting and had four shots four misses with 3*critical and it does really seem to happen more with Jan than with anyone else.

2. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I say keep.

3. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Come on, I even manage to use Jan Jansen to backstab some foes and I equipped him with a +3 crossbow I think, didn't remember him missing many times. Even if his ranged attack don't suit you, just let him memorise only powerful spells that you know how to use and he will be very power. Personally, I find Jan Jansen to be a muti-armed combatant; can backstab, shot bolts or cast spells. The idea of putting a slot in short bow is a good one I think. Gsen bow for my archer and the bow from trademeet for Jan Jansen = muti-mini-magic missiles.

4. Infarateo Gantul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

There are only two good long-term thieves in the game - Imoen and Jan Jansen.

Imoen will do if you like keeping items that can increases her thieving skills around (i.e., rings, potions, etc.). Just don't rely on her making backstabs, or laying traps. Hide in the shadows and move silently can be replaced with invisibility. Cloak of non-detection = Spell Immunity:Divination.

Jan is everything you could ever hope for in terms of thieving abilities - but it stops there, period.

Race-changing doesn't affect multi-classing and dual-classing. A PC who was originally mutli-class elf changed to a human will still be a multi-class... human.

As for the arguement on somebody not hitting something, remember that this game is based a great deal on randomness... I once had the game when it was Minsc who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. I almost dropped my eyes on the first 3 rows of missed critical hits that the level 15 ranger failed on a -goblin-. Who hits who depends purely on game math + a good touch of chaos and pandemonium. :)

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ditto. Choose Imoen. SK´ing her thief skills could be a good idea, if you just don´t add any extra points. After all, you could choose in BG1 where to allocate the points.

Hopefully someone makes a mod that allows to decide in the beginning of the game the abilities of BG1 NPC´s... (Imoen, Minsc)

Btw, Koveras, why do you want to make Imoen an half-elf?

6. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

As I said no matter what I did with/for Jan or what I gave him, he was just useless with a weapon. I understand it's all random, but geez no one is that unlucky. When I do have him in my party, which is rare, he is my main thief and back-up mage. And his lines are funny.

Nalia, however, will continue to be in all my parties regardless of whether I use her for ranged fighting, spell casting, thieving, or any combination of the three.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.