1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Falklands buildup

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shoshino, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You got that right. How long ago did the entire rest of the world switch to the metric system? 100 years ago? Everyone, that is, except the US. The US basically raised their middle finger to the rest of the world, grabbed their collective crotches, and said, "I got your metric system right here!" (Say it with a strong Brooklyn accent for fullest effect.)

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe the UK isn't metric yet, but they use imperial measurements for volumes (such as oz., gallons, etc.), whereas the US decided to create their own just to be difficult.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    We use ounces and gallons for volume too (and pints and quarts). 8 ounces in a cup, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon. However, I was pretty sure that in terms of distance, the British use meters (or kilometers where appropriate) whereas in the US we use feet or miles.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, upon further investigation, it seems that distance is in feet, miles, etc., but everything else is more or less metric (I could still be wrong about this).

Aldeth, imperial ounces, gallons etc. are different sizes than the US measurements. That's why i said they are two different systems.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I was unaware of that. I was taught that the US uses the "English" system of measurements. I assumed that if anyone besides the US used the English system it would be the English. You mean even the English don't use the English system?

6. Splunge

Media:
    The UK, where it doesn't use the metric system, uses the Imperial system. The US uses it's own system. The differences only show up in volumes. So an Imp. gallon isn't the same as a US gallon (the imp. noe is larger).

Comparison of_the_imperial_and_US_customary measurement_systems

Edit: Note that this isn't at all off topic because it's about the UK. :D

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The US isn't even consistent. While milk still comes in gallons, soda comes in liters. Unless you're getting the single serving bottles/cans, where they're still in ounces. Medication comes in grams, milligrams, and CCs (cubic centimeters, aka mL). The gov't has been trying to make a move to metric for years, but it's never really taken on. Until the gov't mandates that mile markers be re-written in kilometers, speed limits be written in KPH, and all engineering documentation submitted to the government use metric, it won't happen.

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    The UK is mixed, older people wont learn the metric while the young are learning only metric in school, so everything has both metric and imperial on it.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Canada has mostly gone metric, but when referring to human weight and height, most of the people that I know use feet and pounds. My driver's licencehas that data in cm and kilos, though. Kinda weird. For long distances, we tend to use km now, though I'm sure there's some old holdouts who use miles. All of our signs are in km, though.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Look, we're metric in Germany for more than a century, and when I go to the butcher and order meat I still say pound (i.e. half a kilogram), half pound, quarter pound. I often catch myself saying Mark instead of Euro as well.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ragusa, is that because you're a "Marks-ist"? :D

Ha ha ha! I kill me. Which is good, because if I don't, someone else is gonna.

ON TOPIC! Has anything happened on this score or has the Chilean earthquake diverted attention from the Falklands situation?

12. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    bugger all in the news right now

13. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

That cracked me up yesterday and it did so again today. :D

You, sir, just earned +1 internets.

14. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I don't know, it was that that cracked me up twice in a row!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.