1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New York = Orwellian? (No Smoking in Parks and Coastlines)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Rotku,

That goes for everything, not just smoking. Why plant the standard for smoking bans, but not for toothpaste bans? Or fatty-foods? Or foods high in sodium? You have to draw the line somewhere.

2. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Youre varying your point here, driving a car has beneficial possibilities, fatty foods and alcohol in small quantities have beneficial qualities - smoking has no benefit, every sincle drag from a cancer stick does damage.

what when they decide then no longer want to smoke?

yes, I agree.... however, heroin is illegal.

once again coming back to my earlier statement, these things can have beneficial qualities, when enjoyed in moderation, fruit and veg can harm your body if over consumed, everything has to be used in appropreate quantities, hell, if you breath too quickly you can make yourself ill - smoking does not have any beneficial qualities.

wasnt this beaten to death in suicide threads? if person A is a doctor, and there is only one doctor in a village, should he be allowed to kill himself?

wasnt aware I was preaching, I dont need to preach, everyone knows the damage smoking does, the reams of medical evidence preach that. I want smoking illegal - globally.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are no such regulations or customs here, no - the situation might be different if there were. But then again, everything in Europe is much more packed together than in the US. Here, in most places you can't walk further than a few feet before you're already at your neighbour's. Parking spaces are chronically lacking. Under such conditions it's hard to send smokers somewhere where they won't be bothering somebody else.

As for smokers with an umbrella - I have yet to see one, because never in my life have I seen a smoker who would light up under an umbrella. Would you, if you had a choice between standing in the rain or under the entrance roof?

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I disagree. Smoking a single butt, eating a chocolate chip cookie, going for a walk, playing a video game or posting in on-line communities like this one. All are little things that can help us fell good in their own little ways. Sure, there is nothing physically healthy about smoking. Does it mean it still can't make someone feel good. Or put a smile on someone's face. When I am old and sitting in my chair, watching my favorite show or gossiping at the Senior Center, I hope there is a thing or two I can freely choose to do that will brighten my day or make me feel better. Even if it's only helping psychologically, maybe it will be smoking a cigar or chewing sum gum or sipping a small glass of wine. Smoking is one of those little things for many. You want to strip it form others? Making smoking illegal is as necessary as making anything you are saying can have a positive effect illegal. What possible positive effect coudl putting a big slab of butter on my toast in the morning have? None. Butter is totally unhealthy. But it tastes so damn good to many. Should we make that illegal as well?

Gaear likes this.
  5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    See Blades' post above.

?I don't follow?

Absolutely. Any 'obligation' he may have to his community should be secondary to his own desires. If not, he is nothing more than a slave.

I imagine most doctors would choose to serve their community though, being as they generally choose to provide for the welfare of others.

Sounds like preaching. :p Seriously, you're trying to tell me and everybody else what we can and cannot do as regards our own fate. Why do you get to decide? Why is it any of your business?

I assume the context here is the US (see OP and thread title) ... in the US, the government is not going to subsidize the doctor's fee if you choose to kill yourself by smoking, nor should they.

6. Shoshino

Media:
    Now youve taken the thread in another direction, freedom of choice, I argued earlier in the thread that if class A drugs are illegal so should nicotine - blades argued that its not the same, your now your only talking about freedom of choice over health and well being, I was arguing that if one mans drug is illegal so should the others - I have no desire to see heroin, crystal meth and cocaine legal, likewise, nicotine should fall into the same category.

smoking is only at first free choice, once your addicted its hard to change your mind. these companies make billions off the exploitation of people, and they dont want people to free themselves of the habit, so they make them as addictive as possible.

*(its also interesting to point out that the above mentioned illegal drugs have applied medical uses, unlike nicotine which is legal)*

7. Blades of Vanatar

I hear ya Sho. And I agree that its possible that the large corporations have only their swelling coffers in mind, not our best interests. But what about those who roll their own? Should it be illegal to roll your own and smoke in your home?

8. Shoshino

Media:
    If the tobacco was totally free from 'enhancement' I wouldnt take such an issue with it after all, alot of the health issues are caused by the cocktail of chemicals added by these companies, I know a few people who smoke rolled fags of their own, and they smoke when they please

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  9. Gaear

Media:
    Other freedom-of-choice recreational drugs being unjustifiably banned is hardly reason to go further and ban more unjustifiable-to-ban recreational drugs. That would be like saying there's no reason not to give up all your rights if some of them have already been taken away.

This kind of thing is a slippery slope. It's extremely unlikely that heroin is ever going to be legalized, so recreational drug users have little choice but to 'play ball' and rigorously protect the legality of currently legal drugs while acknowledging that there's little they can do about those drugs that have already been made illegal. It doesn't mean they advocate a contradiction. That should be clear enough due to the this-but-not-that shotgun approach applied to the drug spectrum as a whole. (Alcohol good, marijuana bad, etc.)

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    If you live in a city, the same is true in the US. I live on the outskirts of a city in a townhouse community, and I share a wall with my closest neighbor. There's also a lot of people in the US that live in apartments, where it's entirely likely that you may be sharing a wall, floor, and ceiling with a neighbor.

But at least as far as businesses go, most places in the US have parking lots. Remember, comparitively fewer people use mass transit to get where they are going in the US than in Europe, and therefore just about every business needs parking not only for their employees, but for their clients. Other than a traditional "Main Street" setting, it's rare to see businesses butting up against one another, with no parking lot to be seen anywhere.

Of course I would rather stand under the roof - but even when I was a regular smoker, I would have the courtesy of smoking in areas where it was designated. Also, it's totally possible to light up while holding an umbrella - unless it's so windy that it's raining sideways.

You have way too much faith in the motivation of doctors. My brother is a doctor, and "helping others" is not on the top of his, or many of his co-worker's, list of why they became a doctor. Just about all of them will tell you that money and status ranked higher.

There is a brand of cigarettes in the US that is supposedly pure tobacco without anything else added. I think the name is "American Spirits" and it shows an American Indian on the pack. (I have no idea if the company is actually owned by American Indians or if it's just a marketing ploy, but supposedly, the only thing in the cigarettes is tobacco.)

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Aldeth,
    from Wikipedia

12. Gaear

Media:
    Then in Shoshino's forced servitude scenario, maybe they'd be better off dead. ;)

I think Winston advertised something like that too - ALL TOBACCO, NO BULL or whatever. But then people say Winstons taste like sh*t.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm certainly not going to say that ALL smokers are inconsiderate jerks, because some of my best friends are smokers, and there's one smoker girl who holds a special place in my heart because this one time she <snip -- MUGalicious content!>

So not all smokers are jerks, absolutely. But a LOT of them are. The number of cigarette butts I see on public streets and in public parks just astounds me. They sure as hell don't come from non-smokers, and I can't imagine how anyone with an ounce of decency could contribute to making such a repugnant mess. I have a hard time mustering sympathy for such nonsense.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.