1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No blocking organ donations

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Shoshino, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Shoshino, I think you're trying to find excuses to justify your own position on the issue, which is not rational, but founded in a phobia. Even if everyone signed up because they didn't care what happened to them after they're dead, what difference does it make? If they actually thought about it (and were presented with more than a scare-attempt), I'm sure the vast majority wouldn't change their mind about it. It's not like anyone who actually didn't want to donate organs would get a card saying they do.

2. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i dont find excuses for anything, i dont need them, i couldnt give a damn what other people do to their bodies.

your missing the point though, alot of people are indesisive, they dont want to make decisions for themselves,as felinoid pointed out, now they are being forced to make a decision, and i think alot of people will bow out, and there will be less organ donations on whole, not because they are blocked, but because people will not make that decision for themselves

im going to pick up on this:

selfishness isnt a factor, people dont just say " no donation because i dont want them to" for a relative to obstruct a donation they would have good reason to

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Indeed.

Ha! I will return from the dead to haunt whoever guts me open like a fish.

What's wrong with selfishness? Why the f*** should I care about the lives of others? Why should I care about saving them?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Selfishness is a factor when you're choosing your own wishes over those of the deceased. Reason or not, it's still selfish to say that it shouldn't happen because you don't want it to. It's the very root of the word: SELF-ish, as in self-oriented, rather than respecting the wishes of others. That doesn't apply to your situation, as it is her wish to withhold her organs so as not to traumatize you, but your situation is not the only one that exists.
    Sometimes nothing, sometimes everything. If you want to be selfish and say "they're not having my organs", that's perfectly okay, and well within your rights to do so. But to say "they're not having my sister's organs" is utterly ridiculous if she already consented to it. It was her decision, and someone interfering with her wishes for their own reasons is...I can't think of a way to politely end that sentence.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yeah, everyone has the choice to decide if they want to be donors or not. I never would oppose a relative wanting to give them if he/she wants to.

But not a chance in hell they're getting anything of me.

And Fel, screw being polite, say your piece, even if it has to be censored.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Funny, reading your prior posts, you didn't seem so nonchalant about it.

I'm not missing anything, unless you mean that by not agreeing with you I am somehow missing something. The fact is that something had to be done to regulate the situation, and I don't really see any other options. Once a person makes such a decision, it should not be reversible by anyone else. So prior to that they'd need to have a good, frank talk with their loved ones if they approve. If they do, great, they potentially get to donate. If they don't, too bad, they won't donate (provided the donor does not elect to override the negative opinion of others). At least there won't be an misunderstandings and possible grief once the person in question dies, because it will be known in advance how things stand.

I seriously doubt that the majority of mature adults would decide against organ donations after death for any other reasons but religious (or such extreme cases as phobias of their loved ones).

7. Felinoid

We're not talking about mature adults; we're talking about immature adults, of which there are PLENTY out there, I'm sad to say. I'm still in favor of this law, and I think it'll do more good than harm...but it's a close thing.

8. Shoshino

Media:
    i havent said that i care about what these people do, im saying that because of this new legislation less people will sign up to be donors.

good, youve touched on what ive been talking about, both of my brothers became donors withough discussing it with family members, and i have no doubt that there are many other cases like that. now these conversations will be happening, there will be less potential donors.

i personally think organ donation is a terrible idea, not because of my phobia but because of what it actually is, i couldnt imagine how anyone could live with an organ transplant, knowing that someone died so that they could live, in essence becoming a parisite.

9. Felinoid

That would only be the case if we were deliberately killing people (or even just letting people die) in order to harvest their organs. This is not the case. Most donated organs come from people that doctors tried their hardest to save, and were simply unable to. Harvesting the organs is then simply a matter of making something out of nothing. The only other way an organ is harvested is if it is non-vital and will not kill the donor.

If you want to get into black market practices, that's a whole other discussion, as well as being speculation at best.

10. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Parasites don't live off death. They live off of life. Have you ever heard of a tick or a leach latching on to a corpse? That said, the donor didn't die so you could live. The donor died because he was shot, had a heart attack, had a car accident, was accidently decapitated in a bizaare ferris wheel accident, etc. The donor didn't die so the recipient could live. The donor became an organ donor so the recipient could live. Why the donor died and why the recipient is now alive are only loosely related.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I think shoshino is looking at it from the other way around. From the "donee's" point of view which would be "I'm alive because some person is dead." and in effect its quite a horrible thought but he should be thinking "I'm alive because some person, who made a decision to have his organs donated should he die, died."

There should be no guilt attached to it. Its almost like looking at a firefighter and thinking "This person saved my life and I'm alive because he didn't seek a higher-paying line of work - oh God I'm a monster!".

Survivor's guilt I guess is what you imagine somebody would experience but people die every day and the person who recieves the organs most probably had NOTHING to do with the death of the doner.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but it does seem to be an opinion that is not widely shared on these Boards. It seems that most of us agree that saving a human life is well worth the minor downside of a bit of sqeamishness of thinking of having a part of someone else in you.

What's your stance on blood transfusions then? Is that any different?

13. Shoshino

Media:
    there's a beast born from mythology and story that survives on others blood, for whatever reason given to your survival it simply comes down to the fact that you surive(d) because of something that was not inherantly part of your body.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You're basing your opinion on mythology and fiction? It's a shame that some person will die because of it.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, far more people would die if there were no blood transfusions than if there were no organ donations.

I struggle to understand any opposition to blood transfusions. They save so many lives. I don't see how it is different to eating a carrot. A carrot is not inherently part of your body, but if you put it in your mouth and chew it up and swallow it, it can help you live instead of dying of starvation.

16. Felinoid

No, he's basing it on the phobia. Observe...
    There's Tom (-ophobia) rearing his ugly head again. Sometimes they get rather integrated into your personality, like someone with a fear of flying going on about how many things can go wrong with a plane in the air.

17. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Personally, I can't see the point in this argument. The main proponent of the argument against this legislation is against it because he has a phobia. this means that his dislike for it is irrational by definition, and no amount of logic or reason will change his mind.

18. Felinoid

That may be true, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss everything he says out of hand simply because we can't change his mind. Having a phobia doesn't mean you can't have a point.

19. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Slightly off the current topic, but as a fiance and not (yet) a husband, I don't believe Shoshino would have actually had any say in whether his fiance's organs were donated. Medical maters tend to be restricted to family only and fiance doesn't count. Oh, and ripping up the donor card will probably not prevent organ donation. Details will be kept on an NHS server in cases of lost cards. It can be ammended here

I don't believe that this will mean fewer organs being donated, purely on a statistical basis. Currently about 10% of families withhold permission and I find it extremely unlikely that this percentage of people will suddenly change their mind.
    From 2005/2006 figures, that 10% equates to about 240 more lives saved in the UK. Not a huge figure, but hugely important to their families.

Phobia's notwithstanding, I find it difficult to understand how anyone can object to this law. By doing so you are basically stating that your loved ones are unable to make their own decisions.

20. Shoshino

Media:
    im close to her mother, and she would help me overturn the situation, also this will change in later this month.

not true, that is a matter of empathy, im capable of making my own decisions, but my parents will always be a big guiding factor in decisions i make, if my mother aid to me "joining the forces and going to war will traumatise me" when i was 17 i porbably wouldnt have joined the forces.

no its not, pay attention - i believe that because people who become donors at a young age (normally when you sign for a drivers licence) now have to make that very personal decision for themselves many will choose not to become donors - because they dont want that power over their lives - they want someone else to make that choice for them.

but why are we doing this? if their organs are failing they should be dead, just as if anything goes wrong with my body, i will die.

donation takes away something special from being human, your no longer one of the finest biological entities in creation, were just another machine, if we need spare parts, we'll just take them from another malfunctioning specimin until such a time arrives that we have the knowledge to replace them by another means (stem cells).

why is so much money being wasted on transplants when we should be focusing on research to allow us to grow new organs as and when they are needed.

even if you have a transplant, its far from guarenteed that you will live

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.