1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No blocking organ donations

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Shoshino, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Healthy in this case means they don't have an inheritable disease, so their kids are alright. Should people stop using medicine, because their sickness 'might' be inheritable, the kids can use the same cure, who cares.

You don't care about other people's lives :confused: ? Your 'these' people thing is almost like racism.

I have some phobias too, so I understand there isn't really anything to change your mind. But don't try to make other's to change their opinion about saving people with something that's not important to them when they're dead.

2. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    if they are healthy, why do they need an organ? like i said above very few transplants (less then 7% 'the independent' aug 28 2006) are because of injury, everyone else is because of neglect, illness or birth defects - these are not healthy people.

the same cure is an organ transplant.

explain

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Since racism is a strong word, I said almost, what I mean is that you *wan't* these people to die rather than give them something that's not important, or rather, doesn't exist anymore in anything living. You let them die because they have a certain kind of dicease, not because it can't be cured.

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Those 7% who are injured and require new organs (your information) are considered weak because they got hit by an 18-wheeler? 7% is alot of people that don't fit your Darwinistic belief that requires they die because they are weaker than us.

Plus, humans have been trying to prevent death as long as they've existed. To give up now would be pointless - we now have better ways than ever before.

So we give them 3 organs and they live. We've just saved 4 lives, including the parent.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Wrong again, Shoshino. My tone hasn't changed at all. I'm simply pointing out to you that what you're calling a flaw in the logic is a no-nevermind to me.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

We'll go into cancer if we damn well please. Yes, most (NOT all) cancers are treatable if you seek help in the early stages, and even then how the hell are you supposed to know? Few early stage cancers have noticable symptoms, and even fewer have any definitive ones. Hell, it took them months after her first symptom to even figure out that my mom had cancer, never mind start treating for it. There isn't some magic wand to wave to easily find out that you have cancer, and everyone who doesn't know just isn't paying attention. Even with breast cancer, probably the only one you can actually check for yourself, you may not be able to find a lump that's buried deep.
    It's called not being an insensitive prick. Turn around and start searching for it, because you lost that a couple posts ago.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Please leave the name-calling out of posts.

8. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It's half-assed eugenics is what it is. Instead of weeding out the weak, you're just proposing that we let people with hereditary illnesses die from them.

Which is utterly, utterly monstrous. Would you really find that easy to just say, "sorry, you were born with a genetic disorder, we're just going to let you perish" so easily? because if you could, You have a LOT more issues than just tomophobia. Namely being a completely self-centered sociopath.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Please. The idea that you must try to keep someone alive at all cost simply because they happen to be living now is very odd IMO, not to mention hypocrisy since there are millions of people dying all over the world for lack of food and just basic medicine.

Everyone dies; at best you can postpone it for a few more years. So what? It's great that there are lots of people who are willing to donate organs and take extraordinary measures to keep someone they care about alive, but why such vitriol towards someone who doesn't want to, and thinks that extraordinary measures shouldn't be taken to extend peoples' lives? I would hardly call such beliefs sociopathic.

10. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I don't understand how saying that we should not just put people with hereditary diseases in a room to die makes me a hypocrite because "millions die from a lack of food or basic medical care".

This isn't about vitriol against people who don't want to donate their organs or blood. It's your body, do whatever the hell you want. It's vitriol against someone who is saying that being born weak or ill makes you an inferior being who should be hastily euthanised for the good of all.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This thread gets more and more unbelievable the further it goes on. It strted off as a simple "the law is impinging on my personal rights" and has become a heated attack on the value of human lives.

12. Saber

That's SP for ya, HB :thumb:

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I just think its strange that somebody would hoard their organs when they're dead. I wonder if I can declare in my will that the $100,000 I've saved goes to nobody and is buried with me?

Better yet, send me out on a burning boat with all my possessions, two slave girls and my dog.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Seems to me you are putting words that are not there into Shoshino's mouth. Did he say they were inferior beings, or that they should be hastily euthanised? No, he said extraordinary measures such as replacing organs should not be taken to prolong the lives of people with mortal defects caused by birth, illness or neglect.

As I said: Everyone dies; why is it so monstrous to allow a few to die who could not live without having an organ replaced but not so monstrous that many people are allowed to die all the time from lack of food?

15. Saber

Because organ donation is something we can control on a singular basis. I can help save lives by donating my organs, but personally, I can't cure world hunger. Sure, I can donate money to a foundation, but that involves giving up something that I possibly need. I don't need my organs when I die, so I can give them to a good cause.

Might as well save as many as we can, right?

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah, but there sure is a whole lot of money required to perform an organ transplant, and there is no guarantee of long-term health afterwards either. Maybe that money would be better spent saving quite a few starving people?

But of course not; they're just faceless people, and when one is trying save a loved one, it's worth all that money right?

I just don't see why someone who doesn't agree is someone "monstrous" and "sociopathic".

17. Clixby Gems: 13/31

This is not saying that "extraordinary" measures need not be taken, this is saying that we should outright refuse medical treatment to people who suffer from hereditary illnessess. And I still can't understand how organ donation factors into world hunger. By donating my organs, I've made it so starving people in the Third World can't get food or medical treatment? What? I still can't understand how you're linking together two unrelated issues.

I think you may be putting words into MY mouth, TA, since I never said that we should take "extraordinary" mean to preserve lives, only that what Shoshino was describing heavily resembles the core concept of eugenics, which is to prevent the "weak" from breeding, and is extremely inhumane.

18. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    im not inhumane im practical, by saving these people you create a bloodline of people who will suffer because of that one act of compassion.. dont think in the short term, think in the long term of your actions.
    i have never said that there is no compassion in saving that life, i like to look at a bigger picture, a picture that paints a world of disease and suffering because of our own genius, a genius which has been used to create a science based on circumventing nature and natural selection. if someone has an infection, go ahead and treat them - that antibiotic that you have used (which shouldnt exist by nature, we were created with an immune system) to speed that person getting back to fitness just caused a bug a new immunity, we have such terrifying diseases on this planet now, that we have created because of the short sightedness of a few smart people.

ive always said, genius doesnt breed common sense.

and as for the food problem, there is something we can do about that:

every heared of a grain mountain? or a milk lake... its a large amount of food which is hoarded when it cant be sold, if you look into the EU agricultural policy then you will notice that the EU subsidises farmers for what they cant sell, so farmers have no desire to produce less because they are getting paid for it regardless - that food is then stored as mountins and lakes and often left to rot, we could be transporting this to countries which need it, but we dont.

and what BTA said was that by donating your organ the money it will cost to remove your organ, test and store it, and then implant it into another person, pay for that person's bed in a hospital and the staff to monitor them and fight to save them sould something go wrong - could have been used to feed countless people in the third world for the rest of their lives.

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I guess I wasn't very clear. Organ donation doesn't really factor into world hunger. All I was trying to do was illustrate that someone who does not want to give up their organs after death and would allow someone to die because of that is not "monstrous" or "sociopathic". The example I used to illustrate this is that there are many, many more people dying of hunger, yet I doubt anyone would say it's monstrous or sociopathic to not want to give all the savings you have to save them.

20. Saber

I wrote this big long thing, but it got deleted, so here is an abreviated verison (I think):

Choosing to not donate your organs is not at all monstrous (selfish, maybe, but not evil). Saying that no one should donate their organs so that the 'weak' can be eliminated (which is what Soshino is saying) is monstrous.

Shosino - giving organs to people who will breed more people with problems gives those people a chance to survive until we find a permanant solution/cure. Telling them that we aren't going to let them live for another couple years (in which a cure could be found, especially if we stress science as a national goal) is terrible and downright wrong.

And BTA, organ donation is something that I can do that costs nothing to me that can help people right now. I can't solve world hunger, but perhaps I can save a life. And by suggesting that we should not donate organs because there are more people dying elsewhere is completely irrational. There are people we can save right next door if we just sign a card. Now, I am not saying we should not fund world hunger relief, but by suggesting that we stop organ donation for hunger is like suggesting we should cut all science research budget because 'there are many, many more people dying of hunger' than those researchers can help.

Somehow it was more eloquent when I wasn't frustrated at losing all the stuff I wrote.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.