1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obama finally releases his birth certificate

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Beware: The courts have the final say in matters of "ballot restriction."

I don't know; you can answer that better than I can.

GWB's grades are posted on the web? Sorry that I really didn't give a damn [I already knew he was a moron, regardless]. They are probably phonies anyway....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Snook,

FEC stands for Federal Elections Commission. Of course they have jurisdiction over presidential elections. They verify eligibility for candidates to receive public funds, and that means they verify your eligibility to be a Presidential candidate at all. The State Department issues passports and verifies citizenship in addition to conducting foreign policy. They verify the citizenship of anyone applying for a government job, including the top job. Both agencies cover one's eligibility requirements. Hence there's no need to file specific paperwork including a birth certificate unless there is somehow a question about it. If there is, State asks. Obama's campaign WAS asked, and they provided the short form. State also contacted the state of Hawaii, and they verified the long form. Point is, states have a lot of discretion, but the federal government is involved in the entire process for obvious reasons.

And if you address a post of mine by name, especially when you've clearly put effort into it, I always believe it warrants a response. Even when you're being kind of a dick. Strikes me as basic etiquette on a message board like ours. I don't think it's asking much to expect the same courtesy.

3. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Obama:

According to Harvard's website that is a 3.33 or better. You live in MA - maybe if you hauled your "backside" over there, they will let you see for yourself. :grin:

---------- Added 0 hours, 21 minutes and 22 seconds later... ----------

[​IMG]

The birther morons at their work. Is it racist? You bet!

I thought this was interesting. The racism the Republican party is using is merely a tool for the hate-mongering. That makes sense because most rank-and-file Republicans are not racists, but opportunists:

I still believe racism is a factor, particually among those who are demanding to see Obama's grades in college.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/04/28/birtherism_race/index.html

4. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I don't get it, why do people want to see his college records? I feel like i'm missing something here. In what way is that relevant to his heritage?

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    For a country that is so big, America is full of small minds by the look of it. How sad

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It isn't. Even his heritage isn't really about his heritage - it's about finding proof that he's a fraud.

His grades, when released, will be doubted. The Registrar's accuracy will be challenged. The teachers who gave those grades will be sought out and harassed. If it turns out they are even halfway liberals, their credentials too will be doubted, lied about, searched and pored over and found wanting. After that, it'll be something else. The conservative blogosphere is already all over this. It's pathetic.

These people will never be satisfied until he's removed from office or killed.

And Silvery, you're right. It's really embarrassing what our political system has become.

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Conservatives tend to oppose affirmative action, and Trump is attempting to insinuate that President Obama only achieved his success because of affirmative action. Why he would do this doesn't really make a lot of sense until you factor in that it is no longer fashionable for politicians seeking to agitate the lowest elements of their base to make direct racial attacks. They instead rely on "code words" that will resonate with certain elements of their base. Since many who oppose affirmative action do so on racist grounds*, this message will resonate quite well with them. In theory, Trump gets to race-bait and deny it at the same time, but he's also an amateur and it shows. I haven't seen such a transparent and ham-handed attempt at race-baiting with code words in quite some time. The more he pulls crap like this, the more he convinces the cooler heads within the GOP that they need to quash his candidacy earlier rather than later.

* Please note that I am in no way attempting to insinuate that opposition to affirmative action is inherently racist. It quite often is not.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think it has long been only about partisan bickering. Some president at some point released his college scores, and it started a fad where everyone had to be just as open as the previous guys.

Personally, iirc he long ago made public the certificate that by law was sufficient proof that he is a US citizen and eligible for the office. The longer form was never necessary - it was demanded by people who imo were more interested in denying his legitimacy than seeking the truth. They can think of something else to bicker about now. Overall, I think it was an unnecessary gesture that legitimizes the kind of BS slung at him, but meh, he's a grown man (and a politician), he can take his own decisions and stick up for them.

Mind you, I can't help but think this is just another example that he's a "Soft Mary" - someone who is much too conciliatory under pressure.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Out of curiosity, can you prove any of your post. It seems like a lot of guessing as to what they do based on what would make sense. I haven't seen anything that says that they actually do what you say they do. I'm not calling you a liar, a fraud, or a dick, I'm genuinely curious as everything I've seen seems like each state has their own rules as to who gets on the ballot and how they get on it.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    No, really it isn't. This is quite new. If you could provide more info on this point, that would be great and I would be glad to look at it.

Why? You didn't bother to prove much, if any, of your post, regarding Obama.

Why bother? You pretty much saved most of that crap for Obama. Yes?

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    What are you talking about?

I don't believe I made any statements of fact about Obama. I've posted links to I believe everything I've said that I claimed was factual and if I didn't (Bush's Grades) they are easily found via Google).

The things I've said about Obama that are opinion are obviously opinion and I think the only thing I opined on were that either he or his advisors are idiots for not releasing the long form years ago. I believe if they had been in front of this instead of behind it the "birther" movement probably would have died on the vine.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    You can say that again. :)

That's a point you don't get. Most everyone thinks they are kooks. It's like GWB having to come out and prove, and explain how he was not behind 9/11. Also, as you noted yourself, "it's not over by a long shot." So which is it? Either Obama is wasting his time with the morons, or somehow, someone, somewhere can convince you guys that there really is something called reality, that the rest of the world resides in.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gotta side with Snook on this one. DR has made several statements, but provided no links (not saying he's wrong, but giving links are kind of the norm here). Snook has provided links.

Wait a minute. Since this comment was directed at Snook, are you saying that he is one of the "you guys" who is unconvinced of Obama's citizenship? Because I am almost certain that Snook has never questioned that (or at least not in this thread).

Anyway, I agree that this isn't over. The lunatic fringe will go after Obama with whatever they can find. And when one thing is proven to be garbage, they'll find something else. Disgraceful.

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thank you and that is my point. I do believe he is a natural born citizen. Even if he isn't, I think that a rule made in 1776 might need to be revisited. My main critique is how he has handled this entire affair.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread the problem that Obama has had with "The Birthers" is that a sizeable amount of the population had doubt and the number was growing. Anyone with any common sense would have released the "Long form" years ago. That is the difference between this and Bush and "The truthers". The truthers were never able to convince anyone outside of the whackjobs (and one poster on these boards who I have forgotten). The birthers were able to convince "soccer moms".

As an example if someone started a rumor that you were unfaithful to your wife and had sired a child that people thought was yours and a simple DNA test would prove you innocent, would you spend two years ignoring the rumors and telling people that you have more important things to worry about or would insist on an immediate DNA test. I'm afraid of needles, but I would be racing to the clinic to prove my innocence.

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    While I agree that you are not a birther kook, Snook, I disagree with your unfaithful analogy for the simple reason that, in your analogy, there is no expectation that the morons with the rumor about your unfaithfullness would then immediately pick on something different and you'd have to prove your innocence there as well.

In the case of Obama and the birthers, does anyone doubt that this won't morph into something else where he needs to prove his innocence? Once you give credence to a nutjob, you then have to answer his next accusation, and the one after that, etc.

Obama would have been better to continue to ignore this. Then, he's got the nutjob accusation he knows is not a problem and, if he ever felt like strategically pulling the chair out from under them during a point in the next election (if necessary), he could THEN offer the long form and say, "Hey, dummies, here you go, hope you're satisfied, because I'm ignoring you from here on out." Timed right, that could be effective if the Reps' attacks on him in the next election could be intertwined with the birther nonsense.

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    While I agree, the difference is that when something has the ability to morph from nutjobs to ordinary people that is the problem. The birthers were having success in planting seeds of doubt (please excuse that phrase) into ordinary people. That is a problem that you can't ignore and hope it goes away. That is why I used my analogy. If people think it might be your kid that is something that can build traction. With Bush they were never able to convince ordinary people that he would blow up buildings and kill that many people for political purposes. With Obama it hasn't been very difficult to convince people that a politician may be lying and trying to conceal the truth.

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Oh, that's right. He just demanded to see his grades in college. That puts him among the crowd, at least in my opinion.

That's a big difference between you and me.

What? only one? :grin:

No really, they didn't. Did their "seeds" work on you? There is a great scene in Hamlet, when he comments, "Me thinks the Lady protests too much...."

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This BS will never end, just like the WMD one didn't for the true believers. The fact that no trace of WMD was ever found is only proof to the believers that THEY'RE STILL OUT THERE!!! SOMEWHERE!!! THEY HAVE TO BE - BECAUSE OTHERWISE THEY'D HAVE FOUND THEM! DUH!

You can't reason with fanatics because they're masters of circular reasoning. Them being wrong is simply not an option.

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is what Snook said:
    I could be wrong, but given the smiley at the end, it seemed like more of a joke than a serious statement.

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    He said:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.