1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obama Rolls in an Armored Cadillac Stagecoach

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree - the total price tag is probably several million dollars. Also, these are just the features they are willing to tell us about. It might have other security features that they don't release for public consumption. I'd say half a million is a way-low estimate.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Well jeez Aldeth, shut my estimate down why don't ya? ;)

I would agree on them not releasing certain features, in case someone was planning an attack and saw the specs.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I bet it has shields, and a phase cloak, and warp drive capability!

Crap, I've been watching too much Star Trek from the seasons my wife got me for Christmas. But regardless, I'd bet that some of the hidden features would likely knock your socks off.

4. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, it definitely protects against armour-piercing ammunition e.g. which can be fired from an AK-47 (this is a requirement for the EU B6/B7 security category as well, where Ragusa's Mercedeses also belong to), against machine guns, and against certain types of grenade attacks as well. (Usually, they design the shell of the car and the car body such that it should be relatively resistant to "simple" grenade attacks. For bigger attacks, such as explosives placed in a street corner included by the route of the car, there is no protection, of course.)

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Given the amount of armor and ballistic glass, as well as the wight of this car, I would not be surprised if it can withstand some pretty powerful blasts. We are talking high-end technology here - I would not be that surprised if it actually stands up to an RPG-7.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Nah. It will withstand blast, a lot of it, but probably not a shaped charge. I don't know for the armored body itself, there modern multi-layer compound armour technology might do marvels. But I doubt it for the windows. Even the windows of a veritable standard issue armoured car like Germany's and Netherlands's Fennek don't withstand an RPG-7 - for service in Afghanistan the Dutch have added slat armour for the windows, much like the US did for their (btw. Swiss Mowag Piranha III aka) Striker in Irak, for the very reason of protecting them from the ubiquitous, obsolete but still hard hitting RPG-7.

Probably the only way to effectively crack that nut is an anti-tank missile, or something more high end than the RPG-7, like the Panzerfaust 3. If it can crack a Russian T80, it will crack this beast as well. Good that Germany only exported them to Italy, Netherlands, Japan, Korea and Switzerland.

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, the windows probably not. Still, I would suppose it is mostly for use in the more civilized neighborhoods ;)

Heh, I just watched a fun episode of P..p my ride last Sunday - I wonder what their crew (or the Top Gear one, for that matter) could do with this car if they got their hands on it. I'm pretty sure they could come up with something, at least.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I don't know, I am still worried... I mean, the Swiss are quite radically violent, so we should probably watch out.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:

It took a moment to realize you meant South Korea, not North.

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    My brother-in-law was in the military and worked with stuff like this (how like even he doesn't know, of course, but this is his guess). It's probably designed to withstand just about anything you could expect infantry to carry, even up to .50 cal and some RPGs, but roadside bombs are more iffy. You could probably incapacitate it with a properly set up suicide bomber. Still, nice stuff there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.