1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ok, somebody explain to me why Larry Summers should be fired

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Darkwolf, Mar 16, 2005.

1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I absolutely agree with that. The effective control on this is that if you refuse to employee people based upon non-job performance related factors then you are accepting the risk that your competitors will be able to hire these employees and thus obatain a competitive advantage.

I completely disagree with government intervention in cases like this as well as any group based quota systems.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Ok, now you are argung something different here. They are obligated by the expectations set on both sides. Of course, this is only a point of honor here and not really a legally binding contract in any sense. Whenever I'm hired for a job, I always ask what the expectations are for continued employment.

Usually, I get a straight forward answer, and a copy of an employee handbook that outlines what those expectations are. If the requirements are reasonable, then I can enter into an agreement. I'm sure it was the same for you, that your situation was not much different. If I were to interview and the company said: "oh yes, and we require all of our employees to vote Republican, then I would not pursue any further. Does this make sense to you? I hope so.

Perhaps instead of a drug test, they might have a political affiliation test. Does that sound appealing to you? I didn't think so. Yet, here you guys are arguing about how unfair the "liberal" Harvard elites are for firing some guy. Please, spare me the double standard (I'm not referring to you, BTA, in this instance, since you seem pretty consistent here). I thought an employer had the freedom to "fire at will" - indeed. But, I would ask those of you who thought that this particular women should be fired, how you found yourself arguing against the principle of politcal freedom in the first place.

3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

We are not comparing apples to apples here folks. There is a difference between terminating someone for a cause and terminating them for an unjust cause. If an employer believes that an employee is no longer needed, or that they can hire someone else who will do a better job, then they should by all means terminate. However, if someone is doing they job, and meeting the expectations of the position, and they are fired for political expedience (assuming that this is not a detraction from the value of the employee), then it is wrong. Is it legally wrong? Depends on where you reside. Is it morally wrong, you bet! Diversity in the workplace has been proven to provide synergies that far out weight its costs. Unless your actions have a detriment to your employer, it is in their best interests to keep you around. Regardless of any legality, the reputation of employers who terminate employees for frivolous reasons gets around, forcing them to increase the amount they have to pay to retain qualified staffing, so they are paying a price one way or another.

That said, I believe that Summers is under contract, and from what I have read, to interpret this latest action that he is drawing so much fire for as a breach of some "do not bring shame to Harvard" clause in his contract is a bit of a stretch. I think that Summers, if Harvard attempts to void his contract, will have an excellent case against the school for breach. Of course Harvard can dismiss him as long as they pay out his contract, and then the only damage to Summers is to his reputation.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, in my opinion, people don't get the boot for trivial reasons, though perhaps they do for unjust ones.

If it looks like a silly reason (for example the woman fired because of the Kerry bumper sticker), I would bet there were many other reasons the person was not wanted, such as the person was not doing a good job, or causing problems with others in the workplace, or causing problems for the place of employment itself.

If you are worth the work you do and also the trouble you cause, you'll be retained; if not, you'll be given the boot. If I had to guess, I'd say Summers was in the good work, but mountain of trouble category; and the woman with the Kerry sticker was in the lousy work, and a bit of a pain category. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.