1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

(Old-school) Adventure Game Fans

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Taluntain, May 1, 2008.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Was just thinking, how I used to enjoy Full throttle. Great music!

2. Takara

Media:
    The best adventure game music, by FAR, is in The Dig.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, The Dig really had a phenomenal soundtrack.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I loved The Dig, and liked the music so much I kept taking pointless journeys on the "train" system just because that particular theme was so beautiful. I was very disappointed by the ending. Doesn't detract from how good the game is though.

5. Takara

Media:
    I got Curse of Monkey Island working on XP! :D The FMV often runs very fast, but occasionally runs normal speed. I just re-play a few times until it does. 8 or 9 times.

6. Takara

Media:
    Just bought Simon the Sorcerer and it says on the front it's XP compatible. Last copy I had was before XP was even made

7. Ziad

Media:
    Adventure Soft (makers of Simon the Sorcerer) re-released the game to be XP-compatible. They even had a patch on their website at one point to update the DOS version to run under Windows.

8. Takara

Media:
    Just got Discworld Noir running fine on XP. Crashes when you try "resume game" on main menu, but instead press F1 and load the game that way. Might have a few probs later in the game, but we shall see.

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For all the lovers of Monkey Island 1 and 2: Piano music.
    I love the monkey at minute 8. :)
    Click me

10. Ziad

Media:
    This is awesome! :jawdrop:
    He's pretty good.
    The metronome was a very nice touch :D

11. Takara

Media:
    Discworld Noir ran fine, the odd crash to desktop but not common. At the end though, you get the final cutscene and it will always crash to desktop. You don't get the final conversation. Which has lots of Casablanca quotes in it. Like "maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow......." So just go on Youtube and watch the final scene on there. End sequence

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  13. Ziad

Media:
    Strong Bad has me curious just because of its rather off-the-wall title.
    Not a 100% adventure game, but I cannot wait to get some free time and dive into AGDI's new remake of Quest for Glory II. The QFG series is probably my favourite of Sierra's and QFG2 is the only one I haven't played properly.

14. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I'm having a horrible time making Myst (masterpiece edition) work with Win XP. I'm running it in all the Compatibility modes I can remember, I've tried to Safe Mode my Quicktime, even installed a newer version which should do the trick, I'm told. No luck so far. Guess I'll have to play it with just the original QT4 installed, or move it to a Win98 machine (yes, there are still PCs with those active... :p).
    Can't wait to have it working - it's been years.

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wow, I never had any trouble running Myst on XP, I think when I ran it I was only up to SP2 with no other updates though.

16. Ziad

Media:
    Lore, if you want to play the first Myst I suggest getting realMyst and playing that instead. This is really the way Myst was meant to be IMO.

17. Loreseeker

Media:
    8people: I googled some Myst troubleshooting forums and it seems that the problem I'm having is Quicktime related, although without Compatibility settings it doesn't even start properly. You have a point, it could be the updates, or maybe it has nothing to do with XP itself.
    Ziad: I've heard of realMyst. Maybe trying it would be a better idea then going through all this trouble with this edition... It's certainly something I'll consider. :)

18. Ziad

Media:
    I've tried realMyst on WinXP and it installed and worked without any trouble at all. It's also very beautiful, especially considering the game's age. This may be because it was unplayable on any hardware for a couple of years after its release :) For someone who's played the original Myst (on a Mac!) it felt truly surreal to be able to explore the island in true 3D movement.

19. Loreseeker

Media:
    That does sound lovely. Thanks, Z. :)

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bought Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People and played the first episode. Strong Bad is his usual hilarious self and all the voices are done by the same guy who does the comic. As with Sam and Max, it's good fun but not too hard.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.