1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

(Old-school) Adventure Game Fans

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Taluntain, May 1, 2008.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I've just finished Dreamfall. It was great, movie like, with a single thing I disliked.

The text below is hardly too spoilerish, but better safe then sorry.

For a cool game it had my most hated kind of endings - unresolved :bad:
    If a game puts me through all that and worse even, leaves my favourite chars in rather awful cliff hangers, it better have a definite ending, right there and then.
    I hate not knowing and waiting... There's nothing wrong with Ending things Right and starting a new tale next time. Bah.

There better be a third one...

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is no third one yet, and the next installments are apprently going to be distributed online in episodic fashion and called Dreamfall Chapters. It seems from what I've read though that Dreamfall Chapters is not a priority just now, so who knows when and if it will ever be done.

3. Loreseeker

Media:
    Thank you for the info, BTA. :)
    Episodic fashion... :( Oh, well, better then nothing I guess.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished Strongbadia The Free (the second episode of the Strong Bad series). This one was even easier than the first. Though I apparently missed a few opportunities to call Strong Sad names, so I didn't achieve the maximum Awesomeness score. Still lots of good fun :)

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Finished Baddest of the Bands (third of Strong Bad series). Missed a few nonessential things to increase my Awesomeness score (not sure what to do... maybe more pictures with the polaroid?), and I haven't gotten a high enough score on the Videlectrix game (which is kinda like Defender) to maximize my Awesomeness either because the controls are pretty awkward.

Again pretty fun and funny stuff, but not too difficult.

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Dangeresque 3 (fourth Strong Bad) is complete. Missed a ton of optional stuff this time; I wonder if I'll be able to get it all in extended play. My Awesomeness score is pretty low right now I think. I'm pretty sure I missed a few opportunities to use my nunchuck gun on characters that I won't be able to do without playing again...

Pretty funny game, especially if you like the Dangeresque setting from Homestar Runner; The extended play is even set up like extras on a DVD where you can see "bloopers" etc. Some comical repetition: Whenever Dangeresque needs help for something, a character will always say, I know who can help you... but you aren't going to like it! And of course (for those familiar with Dangeresque) there's the obligatory "Looks like we're going to have to jump!" whenever possible. :)

7. Loreseeker

Media:
    Being (mostly) a modern adventure games player, I've decided to get better acquaintaned with the games this group is mostly about, so I DLed a few games:
    Sam and Max hit the road
    Discworld 1 & 2 (I have played Discworld Noir earlier)
    Legend of Kyrania 1
    Simon the Sorcerer 1

LBA 2 (I love this game, already played it as a kid :) )

I have the whole Monkey Island series and have finished them.

So, if anyone feels like helping a noobie in the realm of old adventures, tell me what you think of the games I picked for starters. Recommend any old (and ancient) gems you feel I should get.

I have the latest DOSbox so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ooooh! Legend of Kyrania is great if I remember right. It has been many years though...

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Downloaded the final episode of Strong Bad. 8 Bit is Enough or something like that. Haven't had time to play anything other than the intro, but Strong Bad's Trogdor arcade game came to life and chased Strong Sad, so it started out strong ( ;) ).

10. Loreseeker

Media:
    Finished Sam and Max, Season One. Had loads of fun. The final bit of Episode 5 was a masterstroke, IMO. Haven't laughed so much in a while. :)

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Has anyone played the Vampyre Story yet? I hear it's very good...

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Wallace anf Gromit goes on sale next week. If you preorder the whole season now, you get 25% off, and Ice Station Santa (from Sam & Max season 2) and Dangeresque 3 (from Strong Bad) as extras.

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Preordered Wallace and Gromit and got a couple free games that I already have with it, so I have a free gift download of Sam&Max Season 2: Ice Station Santa.

Anyone want it?

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Finished the first Wallace and Gromit (Fright of the Bumblebees)! Good stuff! Though as usual for these short episodes, pretty easy.

So, nobody here wants a free download of Ice Station Santa?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Jelsoft (the vB makers) did such a great job at burying social groups even I forget they're here... no wonder there aren't any takers... :bad:

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Got the next Wallace and Gromit episode, but haven't had time to play it yet.

Telltale Games is running a promotion. If you use this coupon code from now until June 17th you can buy any episode for $5. Also, this isn't an exclusive code, any number of people can use it to get the discount, so if you know anyone who might want to use it, send it along: TMG-4PA-HQC-7R5

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
  18. Taluntain

Media:
    That's awesome news, thanks for the heads up!

I'm not sold on the new Guybrush look though... it seems... off. The face just doesn't match the voice. You can't keep the same voice but change the face that much.

Redoing the first MI seems an odd thing to waste time on as well, given that they could just package the original with a prebuilt DosBox installer...

19. Loreseeker

Media:
    Yay, MI! Great news. :)

Thank you, BTA :)

Tal: Good point, he looks... older now.

EDIT: Wait, wow, July 7th!
    Time to ask the parents to let me get a credit card for online shopping and get refused again...

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Dominic Amato (the guy doing the voice over for Guybrush) actually looks very similar to the Guybrush from CMI... so this reimaging is completely off in that respect. :bad:

He looks like Rincewind, geez...

[​IMG]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.