1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

(Old-school) Adventure Game Fans

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Taluntain, May 1, 2008.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I've never liked the long skinny Guybrush that came out with the new graphics. Isn't the current look similar to the last game?

I'm glad they got the same guy who voiced Guybrush though; apparently he's a huge fan of the game.

If they just released the original, they'd not likely get any new blood with those really old pixellated graphics, no voiceover, and those bip-boop music and sound effects. Re-releasing it in updated form should get them some new blood as well as old. :)

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I love the backgrounds in the remake. Some of them look almost exactly like the old ones, with some details added. The characters look odd though, especially Guybrush.

The Telltale one I'm not so keen on. Guybrush looks really weird, and what have they done to Le Chuck?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hey, I liked the long, skinny Guybrush from CMI! Well, the current look is more similar to EMI than CMI... but just because it's 3D. Guybrush in 3D looked very much like in CMI.

CMI:
    [​IMG]

EMI:
    [​IMG]

It's good that they got Amato, yea, but I'd have much preferred if they kept the same face too.

I've squinted through that video now (geez, how about a larger version?) and the remake does look pretty cute - especially the fact that you can seamlessly switch between the old and the new version. Good for a replay!

And yea, LeChuck looks weird in Telltale's version too... :bad:

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I'll let you naysayers know how I like the Telltale game since I've preordered it and should get the first episode July 7th! :)

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Have fun, BTA :)

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Finished the latest Wallace and Gromit game: Muzzled. As usual, the game was pretty easy but enjoyable.

Looking forward to seeing Guybrush in a few days! :)

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Looks like Lucas Arts is starting to release their classic games on Steam. I remember playing Loom on my TurboGrafx CD! :)

Should have an email with my Tales of Monkey Island download link in it sometime today! :)

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Cool, keep us posted on how it is!

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah! Loads of piratey goodness, voodoo, monkeys, fizzy root beer, the Pox of LeChuck, treasure hunting and even fine leather jackets for sale!

Good stuff, and the interface is thankfully more complicated than the other Telltale games since it lets you combine inventory items. Seems to make for more interesting puzzles.

So far enjoying it very much, and I haven't been able to complete it in just the couple hours I've played which is a good sign that it's not too easy like some of the other Telltale offerings.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Fisnished it yesterday. It's been a while since I've played the other MI games, but this first epsiode seems comparable in size to one chapter of those games (and it was in fact labelled as chapter 1).

Had some good puzzles of the typical adventure type: combining items, using items with other things to turn them into something else, multi-step puzzles etc.

Overall I found it very enjoyable. Everything is completely voiced, and they even made that amusing because sometimes what you select for Guybrush to say is not what he says :)

Anything more specific anyone want to know?

11. Loreseeker

Media:
    I completely forgot about MI! :doh: Stupid exams...

The game sounds great. Thank you BTA. :)

(In case anyone is interested, I tried A Vampyre Story. It's not bad, but not as fantastic as I'd hoped. The characters are trying too hard to be funny, imo. I think I only laughed once in the course of the whole game :( and the overall tone just doesn't quite work for me - too "modern". This could be just me.
    There are a few very obvious MI refferences in it.)

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Since last posting I've finished the last (I think) Wallace and Gromit episode - the Bogey Man. I think this was the best of the set. I found it more difficult and more interesting that the others.

Also, just got and completed the second episode of Tales of Monkey Island: The Siege of Spinner Cay. It was either shorter or easier than the first because I found myself surprised when it ended. It was still very enjoyable, and I love the fact that they've had uses for the talking pyrite parrot in each episode ("Awk! I'm Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate!" I can't get enough of that. :) )

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just got my hands on a very old laptop, running on Windows 95, for FREE!:) Now, I was digging thru my old case of games and pulled out all of the Gold-Box series AD&D games, Champions of Krynn here I come. Also several Ultimas and last but not least, all of my old Infocom/text-only games. Does anyone remember if the Infocom games will run on Windows 95? They go WAY back for me, about 25 years ago I am guessing.

14. Loreseeker

Media:
    Not sure, Blades, but if they don't, you might find some useful tools and interpreters to make them work here: IF archive Infocom :)

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I played the Infocom games on an Apple ][e...

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think I played them on a II+. I know I played Ultima (at least through 3 or 4) on that machine, Wizardry 1 and 2, and some, but not all, of the gold box games.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I started playing the Infocom games on an IBM PC jr, 128kb system. My oldest bro got it for me when I was 11, he just turned 19 and was hired by IBM. Pretty amazing feat, eh? It was his 1st paycheck he bought it with. I LOVED that machine. That still boggles the mind to this day that those machines were SO slow.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Just finished the third Tales of Monkey Island episode: Lair of the Leviathan. A couple of tough puzzles that took me a while to figure out. Unfortuantely the pyrite parrot was gone, but at least Murray made his appearnace in this episode :)

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Just finished the fourth Tales of Monkey Island episode: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood. One puzzle that had me for a bit because I didn't notice something. Stan made his appearance in this episode with his hand waving salesmanship. Had a good cliffhanger ending.

20. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I finally finished Sam and Max Season 2 today - it was great. I really, really, really love the series - it's the only series that makes me laugh my head off, while also saying "My God, that is so awesome". The soundtrack, also, is amazing (a certain song comes to mind) ... well, I could gush on, but most of you know how great it is. :)

One complaint though.
    I disliked how they kept reusing characters - eg, Harry Moleman popping up all over the place. First it was a little amusing, then it just got annoying and stupid. Superball, too - what, exactly, are his motives except to guard doors for various employers? (although he at least is consistently hilarious) But the worst offense, IMHO, are the Soda Poppers being revealed as the big bad - it made no sense whatsoever, unlike the Mariachis - well...at least the Mariachis had a sort of "My God, it makes sense now!" instead of a "They're just typing random crap together" feel. It was amusing, yes, but it also felt a bit arsepulled. Though the last episode was still excellent.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.