1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

old-school games (DOS)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Late-Night Thinker, Oct 13, 2005.

1. matthewdevcic Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I downloaded both champions and death knights of krynn and neither game works. When i try to save a character it says it can't find blah blah blah. The games are garbage, although i did enjoy looking at all the old school games that i use to play

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think all you had to do is edit one of the config files to make it look in the right directory for your characters (and saved games).

Well, I finished Wasteland just yesterday, so I guess that occupied me for a month. I got stuck in the game on the first run through. But on the second try, I whizzed through to the end.

The best moments in the game came when you slaughter seemingly innocent enemies. :D

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

One of my favourite DOS games was a point n' click LOTR parody called Kingdom O' Magic. I actually have two copies of the game, but its so damn hard to get it running. Dosbox runs it at unplayably slow speeds, and the only other way to get the damn thing working is with complicated boot discs (straightforward ones dont work) and FAT32 partitions. And thats on windows 95. Dont even think about it on windows xp. Bah!

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm, I tried playing WoX but it somehow didn't work out for me... I like a lot of abandonware games but the 1st person RPG starts with Lands of Lore for me.
    Otherwise, at freeoldies.com there is a quite decent search engine, and here are some things I would recommend to anyone with some time on their hands (and that I still play at times)

- Panzer General. If you like it - Fantasy General (no kidding. Takes a LOT of time to beat)
    - Pirates! Gold. What can I say - Sid Meyer on a good day :)
    - Star Control. 1 and 2 are great (Especially 2!), 3 I haven't played
    - Jagged Alliance and especially JA: Deadly Games. JA 2 was more refined, but not really better. Deadly Games is the first game to get me into computer clubs... ah, the old days.
    - Civilization 2 / Colonization. Sid.
    - High Seas Trader
    - And, really, tons of others ;)

5. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Going WAY back... farther back.. little farther.....

Telegard!! I think this was one of the first D&D type game out for the Commodore 64. All I remember were the bright colored mazes and the puzzle boxes full of treasure. If you didn't solve the puzzle, your character got shocked. But I cracked the color code and figure out the pattern to solve the puzzles. Then ran down to the 50th level, avoided the monsters to find the puzzle boxes filled with level 50 treasure :) .

Commodore games were great, I remember this great game system were you could creat your own games based on D&D, mystery, or scifi settings by some upstart new company: Electronic Arts, whatever happened to them?

6. Burrie Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Although it's not quite as old as some games I've seen listed here, my recommendation for a RPG-to-try out definately goes out to Betrayal At Krondor. Huge world to explore, but with a nicely detailed storyline(one that splits up halfway through, reminiscent of Feist's Magician and Darkness at Sethanon books), neat characters old and new, and a turn-based combat system that I adore.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Betrayal at Krondor was great :thumb:
    The ability to put the main quest on hold and wander around at your leisure is one I love in RPGs. I think BaK, BG1 and Might and Magic are the only games that really gave you that freedom.

Getting BaK to run on modern systems is likely to be a nightmare though.

8. Burrie Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Actually, it wasn't a problem at all. I started playing and finished the game this year using the application. Heck, you can play almost any old game with Dosbox.

Edit: And ja, being able to wander the countryside was nice. Especially because the place is just so darn big. Still, I also think that the game did a good job at having the player focus on the main quest. You couldn't exactly wander off into Moredhel territory, you did need a reason to go there. Because else, you would run into a blockade that would make sense.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Doom 2... I remember.

Duke Nukem 3D by LAN, anyone?

And yes, Pirates! Gold. I even remember the old Pirates!

Civ 2 was Windows-based, but since you mention it...

If Civ 2 goes, Warcraft 2 is also old enough to mention, I think. I've actually played the BNE edition a lot on the internet. :)

Erm, and I've also recalled Supaplex and Sokoban.

A little bit of a challenge for all of you: Who remembers the way to pass level 1 in Prince of Persia without actually going for the sword? :p

10. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Prince of Persia!!! I never thought that I would be playing THAT game again... Oh the hours I've spent trying to defeat this game; never actually came to complete it, but again, I was only like 4 when it was released :shake: .

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Yep, tried that. And back when we couldn't set up a LAN game (now THAT was a long time ago...) a friend and I used to play over modem... using his house's internal number. It took ages to set up, using those blasted modem setting (the pain...)

Supaplex was GREAT! I never managed to finish the thing though. It gets waaay too hard at one point. I really feel like going back to it all of a sudden. Great memories!

You can actually finish level 1 without the sword???
    I don't suppose you jump over that guard, do you? :D

I remember the next to last level (the one where you merge with your alter ego). My brother actually DREAMED how to do it, and upon waking up that was the first thing he tried. And it worked!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.