1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Organic food

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by MrMermaid, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's NOT a big freezer? We also have a second freezer in our basement. There's no way it would hold 280 pounds of meat. It's a mid-size freezer, standard width, about 5 feet high. Maybe if you really packed it you could fit 100 pounds in it.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] One of our friends owns a farm and is running a little thing amongst the circle that you pay for a pig essentially, he'll raise it, fatten it and have it slaughtered then you get half. Not sure how butchered it is, Kev was interested at one point though he also doesn't like pork...

I'm not really one for kitchen butchery, I don't think I could even pluck a bird to be honest which is quite poor but common in england outside of professional cooks and hunter/farmers.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

All i know is that here in Canada, there is no overarching authority that performs quality control regarding "organic" labels on food. In other words, the meat you buy in the supermarket has been subjected to government inspection by our version of the FDA. However, anything with the "organic" label is not regulated by any organization, government or otherwise. Which means that anyone can just slap a sticker on their produce and jack the price up, and since there's no legal definition of the word, it's not fraud.

Bottom line: too much chance of being ripped off, so I'm out. I'll buy the cheaper stuff and put the money I save toward a food bank for the poor.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

LKD, if the state organization rates everything, doesn't this mean it also rates organic foods - just not how "organic" they are?

5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

In the UK (and Ireland) the laws about what can be labelled organic are monitored by private certification bodies. These bodies aren't very powerful, we'd be much bigger than them. But the major supermarkets like Asda (Walmart), Sainsburys, Tesco and so on do not want the bad publicity that would come if they were found to be selling mislabelled food whether they knew or not. What these guys say goes and so the organic bodies know doing a proper job for them is what counts and not pandering to the people who pay them. The organic bodies will do a full audit each year of our plant to assess our sourcing and segregation of organic food within the warehouse. They also do spot checks of fruit from supermarkets. Whatever about the local farmers if fruit is labelled organic in a UK supermarket I'd be very surprised if it isn't. This probably applies to other countries as well. Companies mightn't be bothered about breaking the law but they do care about bad publicity.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'd prefer to buy from farmers if possible and skip the big industry.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.