1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Paladins Rock!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dudette, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I always mix those two up :D you're right, it was something like warhammer 21.000. It was just a glitch in my brain with daggerfall... My friend told me about it, it was with dices and very detailed rulebooks too, only it was very expensive. A medium army to start playing with fun costs over 500$... Just prefer buying computer games for that money, a lot cheaper ;) And I don't have the time to paint all those guys either

2. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

anyone here think that anomen is trying to be a neutral paladin?.... well he'll never be that with his shitty wisdom!

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Anomen'll be upgraded later to 16 wisdom and lawful good alignment.
    But that still makes him an ass.

4. Dudette Gems: 8/31

i know that but he still sucks

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Has there been any debate over playing a straight Paladin vs Kits?

I prefer the Cavalier kit. Ranged weapons are next to useless, and I can throw axes or daggers if I really have to.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Anomen is a powerful tank and an acceptable cleric BUT (you´re absolutely right Dudette) HE SUCKS!!!! NOT TO MENTION HIS PORTRAIT ... OR HIS TALK :mad:

7. Dudette Gems: 8/31

personally i like undead hunters...

8. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

HMMMM, I don't know. Paladins Do rock, but that's only because the aren't rightfully played in BG2. In P&P you would loose your skills as a Paladin if you went on the wrong path just a little bit! (If you killed your own enemy and just waited till everyone else did the same to theirs without attacking them, you would loose your ability's and become a fallen paladin.
    But in the game, the undead hunter and the cavalier (esspecially the cavalier) Rock the body that rock's the party!

9. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Can anyone explain to me why cavaliers rock so much? (in bg2 that is) There are not so much dragons and demons in the game, and his extra's (remove fear, immunity to fear and poison, some fire and acid resists) are not that special. You don't get to use missile weapons, but that's not so terrible, you're using him as a tank for most of the times... The inquisitor on the contrary has very powerfull dispell magic and illusion dispelling, that's so much more useful IMHO, pala's spell ability and hold undead are not that great anyway. So why do cavaliers rock?
    Enlighten me!

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

How many times did people in your party run away in fear or low moral? With a Cavalier on your side, the answer will be NEVER. His nobility is a beacon of hope to the lesser individuals around him. Just a word of encouragement will turn the most feign hearted mage into a battle-ready warrior.

Cavalier
    This class represents the most common picture of the knight: the gentleman warrior who epitomizes honor, courage, and loyalty. He is specialized in battling 'classical' evil monsters such as demons and dragons.

Advantages:
    Bonus +3 to hit and +3 damage against all demonic and draconic creatures.
    May cast Remove Fear 1 time per day per level.
    Immune to fear and morale failure.
    Immune to poison.
    20% resistance to fire.
    20% resistance to acid.

Disadvantages:
    May not use missile weapons

11. Ragusa

Media:
    Yes, I also think that a cavalier is in some way more attractive than a undeadhunter though both are taylormade for their specific enemies - and so is the Inquisitor.

After considering both kits finelly I chose the cavalier kit for Donaldus.

BTW: I have a problem - as beeing lawful good, how can I do the thieves quest infiltrating Maer´Var´s guild? Beeing false? Is it compatible with the path of honour to choose the lesser of evil? I´m unsure ... I guess I have to do this quest :confused:

12. Dudette Gems: 8/31

anyone here played a true paladin in bg2? like no kits

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I did first time around...He was fine!

I tried Cavalier next...Personally, the Cav is better!

14. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Igneous,
    You are quite correct in questioning whether the Cavalier or the Undead Hunter are better than the Inquisitor.

IMO they are not. Both Cavalier and Undead Hunter are way better than the original Paladin, but the Inquisitor has the most useful abilities.

This is the way I rate the bonuses:

Minor bonuses are:
    - Bonuses to hit Dragons/Demons or Undead.
    - Immunity to poison.
    - 20% Resistance to Acid/Fire.
    - Casting Resist Fear.

Medium bonuses are:
    - Immunity to Fear.
    - Immunity to Hold.
    - Immunity to Charm.
    - Casting True Sight.

Major bonus is:
    - Dispel Magic instantly at double level! (The only worthwhile Dispel Magic in BG2...)

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I went through all the Thieves Guild quests in order to get Edwin into my party. They few times you HAVE to steal, it ususually ends up that you are returning an object to its rightful holder. Otherwise, there are paths to maintain your integrity.

On the Inquisitor's ability to dispel magic, the Holy Avenger Sword (I never remeber its BG name) gives you that ability.

16. Ragusa

Media:
    That´s right - but for party ballance - I wanted to pick up Keldorn, so I already had an Inquisitor this wasn´t really atractive for me.
    An Inquisitor´s dispel magic is great and with Carsomyr he´s nearly unstoppable.

17. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Grrr....!!!!!

A bunch of paldin lovers but Anomen haters!!!! Refer to any of my previous posts regarding this noble warrior.

18. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I HAVE WRITTEN THIS EARLIER BUT OBVIOUSLY NOONE PAYS ATTENTION :rolleyes: sorry about the yelling. I got a bit agitated :)

HERE GOES:
    After Playing A F/M/T as stated on a few post I am totally adicted! My non-cheat F/M/T can defeat the extreeeeeeemly over-hacked undead-hunter character with 245 hp that can be downloaded from http://www.baldursgatehaven.com/
    Have fun
    HERE ENDS:
    Paladins may rock but F/M/T are the Eyers rock of rocks :):

Stoneskin,stoneskin,stoneskin, Improved haste...... The list is endless

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 15, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 15, 2001).]

19. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Paladins are the bomb. As for them being hard to roleplay in AD&D & other realms, I never found it difficult as I am naturally bent that direction. On the Inq vs. Cav discussion, I agree that while Remove Fear is handy, the Inquisitor's Dispel Magic is much more powerful. Yes, Carsomyr casts Dispel as well, but not at twice your casting level. Keldorn's Dispel ability was the single spell I ran out of most in the game.

20. shikaka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

cav vs inquisitor? does the undead hunter really suck or nobody likes 'im much

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.