1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PC or consoles?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kovalis Darkfire, May 1, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

While the DVD video support is limited, features limited, and every console doesn't support this in the first place.

Get the average game on pc. Especially multiplayergames. They can last for years. Besides your gaminghours are that of a gaming geek. No normal player can manage to waste 150 hours on FFX, or 50 on MGS2. Besides, FFX being a RPG is one of the longest games a console has to offer. Your figures are far from realistic. When you compare the average console game with the average pc-game played by an average gamer, there's no doubt as to which system has games more complex, time-consuming and rich content-wise.

Compare the keys on a keyboard with a controller. Compare the ability to write over the net to what you can do with a controller. Compare the speed and accurracy of keyboard+mouse combination with what you can get with a controller. Take any 3D-shootemup game on any console and compare the pace with a same type of game on pc. Control-pads are slow and sluggish when it comes to anything more than whamming a few simple buttons rapidly. As for beat-em-up games, you call 100 moves depth? That's all a game like that has. Other than the nice graphics (which are easily bested by any modern pc) there's nothing more. Just 2 guys whacking eachother in a 3D illusion of a 2D world.

How about *you* give the examples? Everyone knows console games even today are incredibly linear, jump&run style artificial crap. Every game that's come out and that's about to come out both on console and on pc have this problem. The primary goal of a console game is to offer a quick and easily understandable gaming experience. Whilst the primary goal of many pc-games is to offer an experience that somehow simulates reality.

What's GTA3 has to do with this? PC:s are clearly aimed for a mature audience. Being as I am an adult, I can't stand what they did to the newest Zelda, for example (which btw, is a console game). PC games handle more serious matters, offer more intellectual content, contain realism in various forms for making them interesting to a more grown-up individual.

Oh please. Multiplayer with a modem (expensive, and slow, and it takes up your phoneline for the duration of the game), with players that equal perhaps one thousandth (realistically less) of the amount you have with pc? How about mmorpgs that require a lot of text to work? Ever seen what happens to normal-sized text on a computer when you put it on tv? This is one of the biggest problems in such games, and a serious obstacles for consoles. As for offline multiplayer? Please, I've played numerous such games and it's rediculous to even compare a 4-split tv-screen to 4 individual PC:s. Also, take into account the limitations that such a system puts on the game, in terms of performance and visibility on such a small screen.

I'm assuming you meant "what if someone makes games like..."? (if you didn't then you must've said "doesn't like", which is an opinion that's completely useless in this debate ) They don't. They make games like Dark Alliance. Which has 3 characters, pre-set sex and class, and a very linear plot... Which acts as a console equivalent to PC:s BG, IWD and PST. Which precisely proves what I've been saying here all the time.

Of course, there are different games for each. Certainly I like the RPG:s on consoles. But generally speaking, console itself and the games on it are so simple and limited compared to PC that ever starting a debate like this is simply astonishing. The advantages a console has over PC lie elsewhere, and there they are very clear. Because of it's simplicity in both physical size, usage and game contents, it's a perfect tool for any average human who only wishes to play a game now and then. And granted, even IRC can't mach the social pleasure that comes when you have a room full of friends fighting off each other in a console racing/beat-em-up game.

3. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

“Not only mods, but anything made by a 3rd party (not the developers who created it). Console games are limited to 1st party support.(the developers who created it)”

Konami, Capcom and other companies of the like are 3rd party developers for
    Consoles…

“They can last for years.”

I have yet to play or see any game ( on a console or pc) that would last me for years.

“Compare the speed and accurracy of keyboard+mouse combination with what you can get with a controller.”

Matter of taste not a fact.

“The primary goal of a console game is to offer a quick and easily understandable gaming experience. Whilst the primary goal of many pc-games is to offer an experience that somehow simulates reality.”

Quick and easy? Where the hell have you been? Shinobi requires hours upon hours of practice and patience to beat the game once, and why the hell do you want your games so real anyway? Aren’t games there to provide a escape from reality?

“What's GTA3 has to do with this?”

HELLO you said that console games ARE all blood and gore and the only one I can think of that fits that mold is GTA3.

“it's a perfect tool for any average human who only wishes to play a game now and then.”

Not everyone who plays a console is an *average human* as you say and not all of them want to just play a game now and then. I don’t like pc games, they lack the story and plot development of most console game they are not as not as polished and I find them to be stale dry and overworked. And you say console games are simple? I’d like to see you understand MGS2’s story the first time though or figure out the correct strategy to beat the final boss on Shinobi.

4. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Pc is 100 times more complicated and therefore 100 times better!

I tend to sometimes think that the less intelligent prefer consoles. :rolleyes:

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The "not just blood and profanity" that I said was referring to PC:s. As in, PC:s are not "mature" only because they have people swearing and blowing other peoples' guts out in them.

Other than that, the difference of opinion is so strong here that it doesn't matter what anyone says, for no mutual understanding will come out of this one. Anyway, I've said what I had to say about which is better.

6. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thanks for clering that up. And your right when it comes down to it it's an opinion that is not worth fighting over.

7. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

You miss understood me. Allow me to make what I ment more clear because the meaning of 3rd party is a little different in regards to consoles. Nintendo, Sony, and Mircosoft each make there own hardware and make games for such hardware. They're 1st party. Seperate companies that make games only for one of the 1st parties is considered a 2nd party. Everyone else that developes for any of the systems is a 3rd party. This you should already know. Your right there, but thats not what I was refering to. When it comes to the PC there is only really the developer and the end user. The hardware isn't developed by any of the game companies like with consoles. So basically the 1st party is the developer of a game and a 3rd party is anyone who supports said game outside of the developers who created it. I applied this to console games asumming you would understand what I mean. Guess not. All I'm simply saying is the only support for a console game is the developers who created it. No outside support. (aka 3rd party [not meaning other companies that develope games for console systems indepedantly from the 1st party{what you thought I meant}])

Hope I cleared it up. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.