1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm glad I made you laugh, Shralp. Maybe they're not born with 3 legs but it was an overstatement to emphesize the claim. You didn't get that?
    What is the difference between Hitler and the atom bomb? Both killed thounsands of innocent people. Anyone who uses nuclear weapons is stupid and irresponsible at the least.

2. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Corr Raven, I sincerely hope that you do understand the difference between the actions of Adolf Hitler and the Allies' use of two atomic bombs. The atomic bombs were dropped as acts of war, with the intent of demonstrating without argument that Japan could not win, and that they must accept complete, unconditional surrender. Few people in the world had any notion as to the actual long-term effects of those bombs. Many of the scientists that had worked on the Manhattan Project also contracted various forms of radiation sickness, including cancer and sterility - because they didn't fully understand at the time what they were dealing with. Two bombs were dropped, and the war ended.

As horrific as the results of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were, they pale by far to the events known as the Holocaust. Simply put, the Holocaust sought the systematic annihilation of the Jews, along with other so-called 'lesser' races, nationalities, and those with disabilities. Children born blind or deaf were sent to 'special hospitals' for 'treatment' - they never went home again. It was not a reaction to Jews that showed any resistance to Hitler, nor Jews that rebelled against Nazi Germany. It was for all of them, simply because they were Jews. When lining them up by the hundreds and shooting them (a method which resulted in the death of several hundred thousand) proved to be too slow a process, the Final Solution was implemented: the gas chambers, and the industrial ovens used to burn the bodies. When the Allies began to approach Nazi Germany, the operations of the death camps were increased. If Hitler couldn't win the war, at least he could eradicate the Jews, or as many as he possibly could. By the end of the war some 6 million Jews had been methodically, systematically murdered. There is quite simply nothing in human history that compares to this industrial genocide, and God willing, there never will be.

[ September 12, 2002, 22:23: Message edited by: Gnolyn Lochbreaker ]

3. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yeah, yeah... Nobody's defending Hitler but Americans killed thousands of civilians. Wheather or not the Americans consider their actions criminal is clear. They don't. I don't. But look at it like this. The japanese soldiers killed american soldiers. American soldiers killed Japanese civilians. And that's it. The question is: Why weren't Americans tried for that? Answer: It was war time, the allies defended their own, blablala... Why then, are other countries tried in Haag?

I don't expect Americans to understand why they are irritating the world more and more with their overzelaous patriotism. There was a war in my country a few years ago, and while I don't like, but understand the Serbs, I don't understand the Haag Tribunal, which is enditing every croatian general, who really did defend their own country.
    And the USA is supposed to be above the Haag Tribunal. And is.
    I'm not saying Americans aren't good people, but you look at things too one-dimensional.

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Corr Raven,

First, the winner never gets tried. It has always been this way, and probably always will.

Second, you single out the use of atomic bombs on civilians. This allows you to single out the US. Would you care to give us your insight on the killing of civilians by the other nations involved in WWII? How about Japan (in China, another holocaust), England (in Germany), or Germany (in England, France, Russia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc.)? No country killed more civilians than Germany, but you don't seem to have a problem with that.

Third, about patriotism. Please help me understand why it bothers you that many Americans are patriotic. You're right, I don't get it. Why should it bother you? What is it to you? (Note, I am not talking about disgusting displays like the preening athletes at the Olympics in Sydney, that wasn't patriotism).

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Corr Raven:
    History is always written by winners and winners don't put on trial themselves but their enemies.If Germans have won WWII, today everybody will be talking about the "great" Heinrich Himmler and the evil English, American and Russian war criminals.

I don't think that Americans irritate the world with their patriotism. What irritates the world, in my opinion, is the arrogance and the hypocritism of the american goverment. I have believed that the cause for this was the fact that they had not seen a war in their soil since their civil war but after the Laden attack I don't know.

6. Thanos Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ragusa:

That's funny, this EXACT point of view is used by some guys (fortunately, not all, maybe not even a majority)in the Middle east's only non-muslim state to claim that the entire area from the tigris to the nile rightfully belongs to them, because 'God gave it to them' 2500 years ago.

-thanos

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] God I'm happy someone got that little joke, congrats :)

8. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Corr Raven, I said earlier in this post that the US was, indeed, tried for war crimes for the use of nuclear weapons. This is true, though I can't go into details on the Japanese.

I read it in a book, I believe the title was Weird History 101, but I'm at college now and left the book at home. I'm sure that this fact could be verified online, but I already put as much effort into that as I am willing to. I don't doubt myself, why bother? :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.