1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pickpocket Kangaxx

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Heisenberg, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Are the boots really going to make the combat that much easier? I am saying its possible in the game to have more then one boots of speed so I don't see it as game breaking to give my party a few more so they can keep up with me. Perhaps, I am not as good as you guys so what might be a huge advantage for just makes the game more enjoyable for me. In regards to the equalizer bascially I will have cheated the game out of 7 grand. I can live with that.

Its all relative anyway. Someone might never use ShadowKeeper for extra boots or not get two rings off Gax using a glitch in the system but they might use the "fake talk strategy" every chance they get. Which I find to be much much worse then a few extra boots of speed. Or maybe someone plays the game in MP and makes sure every character gets a roll above normally. Those two things would probably have much more of an impact then being able to get around the map quicker and give me some time to get used to setting up my party. I am just saying its all relative but I realize its a bit of a slippery slope in that maybe then I will also want an extra Belt of STR to make Nahila a beast. The only way I can do it is if I do it once for boots of speed and then never open the thing again.

The game should still be a challenge for a newb such as myself right?

ohhh yeah, you can probably call me a power gamer and I guess I am. I like to make my party a well oiled machine but I do not make every decesion based on what would give me the best numbers. Which is how I try and keep things in check a little bit.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No, the boots of speed will not make your game a lot easier. Give them to a thief to backstab and scout the area, but that's about the best use I can think of.

Running away very fast generally doesn't make the game a lot easier.

And yes, you'd get 3 pairs max in SoA, but the 3 pair in ToB you can get pretty much right off the bat.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To me, fake talk, pickpocketing Kangaxx, getting just out of sight of dragons and pelting them with Cloudkills, consoling in (or Shadowkeeping in) various copies of items that are not in regular supply, etc. are all examples of cheese and exploits and diminish the game. Your mileage may vary.

Your idea about multi-playing with a bunch of characters with godlike stats is not so much cheese as super-powergaming. After all, you could run 6 separate characters through BG1, roll for an hour each so that they start with 100 or more points to spread around, get them all of the tomes, etc., and import them all into a MP game of BG2. Not necessarily an exploit but certainly massive powergaming. Would take a lot of the challenge out of BG2, that's for sure.

henkie - you don't need to add any more boots to do the strategy you suggest with the thief (which, frankly, is a great use for one of the pairs). Adding the extra boots means that the player doesn't have to decide whether it's more important for the warrior types to get to their targets fast or if the mage types should be able to scram with extra speed, everyone can do everything.

Heisenberg likes this.
  4. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have a quick question for you. I did a quick test run and everything is nice and easy except it seems if you say give Minsc one of the extra boots of speed he will never be able to take it off. Have you noticed a problem with this? I guess this also means I will not be able to get the Equalizer since I don't want to be stuck with it.

---------- Added 0 hours, 14 minutes and 19 seconds later... ----------

I agree with you. I would have to think though that making a near perfect party would make the game easier then everyone having "Boots of Speed". It seems you can't take them off after giving them to a character. Will this screw me over later?

There isn't a special lake of lava where everyone needs "Inferno Boots" to cross or anything like that right?

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have never had a problem taking off a pair of boots of speed. Admittedly, I never SK'ed them in, but the pairs available to find can be removed just fine.

No lava lakes to cross where you die without the right kind of boots, although there are some interesting areas - won't kill you though.

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, but those are probably not the right "Boots of Speed". There are multiple copies of the Boots of Speed in Shadowkeeper and some of them are not supposed to be droppable or removable (like the ones you're currently using.

Personally, if I find the game too slow for the party I'm currently playing I simply increase the frame rate using BGConfig. It speeds up everything though, so in a way it also increases difficulty while decreasing travel time.

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heisenberg, I responded to your PM, but will put a note here also. I have found similar issues with SK in the past with some items. If recall correctly, this happens when there are multiple versions of the same item in the database, and for whatever reason only one is "good." I would delete the boots that you added, and try the next boots of speed in the list, and hopefully that will fix the problem.

If not, I'll try to take a look at my own installation and see if I can replicate the problem, and figure out a solution.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    As for using Shadowkeeper to add items, While the above advice is true, it is also recommended to only add items to your backpack, then put them on in-game. This isn't an issue for "normal" items that don't have an effect when equipped, but sometimes there are glitches in one of the Infinity Engine editors with items in other slots. Editing charges has no problems however.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.