1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Piracy

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Vukodlak, Aug 17, 2008.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yes. Also, in some jurisdictions, grabbing a copy from the shelf might be a much lesser crime than downloading, at least per the letter of the statute. It's even possible that a small theft, say shoplifting of a single game, would be a misdemeanor, whereas downloading would be a normal crime. That's rubbish.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    How is every pirated game/download not a loss? The downloader gets something that they would otherwise have to pay for, so by definition they are gaining something while the other side is involuntarily losing something (either a potential or a solid sale, or in the case that there was no intent to buy, incurring theft). Maybe you wanted to say that there is no physical loss, but certainly there is the loss of digital data and that's really what's of the most importance here, not the packaging. And given that many games today are available as direct downloads, pirating such games means obtaining them in a nearly identical way, just not paying for the privilege.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You are correct that I am not looking for one because I do not believe there is a difference. If this offends anyone here all I can say is that is too bad. I stand by what I said. I do not believe that we have the right to do as we please simply because it pleases us.

If someone writes a story and you steal the plot and concepts that is plagiarism,= and is illegal and immoral. You didn't steal the book but you stole the creation of another person. No player buys a game. They buy a license to play the game.I have a lot of disks with games on them. I own the disk but not the game. The only game I own is one I created myself. If someone develops a mod for a game and uploads it for downloading it does not belong to those who download it. It belongs to the modder and the owners of the original game.

Someone once stole some expensive gloves and Christmas ornaments that I had made. The ornaments were not worth anything in monetary value but I was more upset by their theft than the theft of the expensive gloves. Taking without permission something, anything, which does not belong to you is stealing. It is wrong.

There is no difference from stealing a game disk from a store or downloading illegally a game.

Montresor likes this.
  4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I assume you want to insert a "not" in the last line: "Which is not to say that piracy is NOT wrong..." :)

It is not the same as e.g. stealing a book in a bookstore. It is however pretty much the same as photocopying a book you borrowed at a library or from a friend. The writer loses a sale, and you gain something you didn't pay for. In other words, it is a kind of theft.

A software developer may not lose a full sale every time a pirated version of a program is downloaded. Some of the people who download the program would never have bought it - they would simply have lived without it. But developers DO lose sales every time a program is made available for free, or for the price of downloading them. In some cases they make up for the loss by upping the price or cutting expenses (reducing support, shipping on low-quality CDs, etc.), hurting their legitimate customers. In other cases they go out of business, hurting themselves, their employees who get fired, and their customers who can no longer get support and/or replacement media.

Fact is, piracy is hurting people. And, by the law and in my mind, it is a crime.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    AMaster's point is logically compelling. Conflating copying or software piracy with theft is pretty disingenious logically and legally.

Theft is taking something away from the owner or proprietor, which he thus physically loses.

Downloading a game means merely obtaining a copy of the data, which leaves the property of the owner unchanged. You do not take away any of his '0s and 1s'. You duplicate them. It is not theft by any stretch of the definition. What he loses are prospective sales.

That is an important distinction technically, logically and legally. It is important where theft statutes are being used against software piracy. Nulla poena sine lege suggests that criminal law must not analogously applied. The problematic implications of this distinction make it imperative that criminal law embrace software piracy as a category of its own, if criminalising it is desired.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And as long as the law is not clear about it a grey area exists

7. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

But Montresor is right in saying that it is like photocopying a book out of the library - which is also illegal. Of course, it is much more labourious than downloading digital information, and therefore much rarer. Of course, when you're a student and can't afford the £50 book that you need in order to pass your course, spending an evening whatching the flashes of the photocopier is a small price to pay...

How exactly? Employ a small army to go through everyone's downloads by hand? I would just love to hear my ISP explain why they have to monitor all my incoming and outgoing packets of data. They wouldn't stay my ISP for long...

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ragusa, you almost had me agreeing with you. Good post but....Piracy by any name is still taking something that does not belong to you and if you then either give it or sell it to another person you have compounded the problem. Maybe those who pirate wouldn't buy the softwarein the first place but that does not make it right and only hurts those of us who get our software legitmately.

Please refer to Montresor's post. He said it quite well.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am going to repeat myself a third time. How you feel about piracy is irrelevent. It is a fact. We all find earthquakes horrible but there isn't much we can do to stop them. What we can do is to minimize the damage they cause, build houses to withstand them and so forth and so on. Right now most countries have copyright laws that make a huge chunk of their population into criminals. A crime is only a crime as long as society views it as such and whether you agree or not there are as many if not more who do not view piracy as a crime or simply not care. Instead of *****ing and moaning and branding more than half of the population of the western world under the age of 50 as immoral criminals work with the technology, not against it.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I do put myself in these people's shoes - hell, I don't even need to half the time - their postings on the internet are plain for all to see. Some get angry, some don't care, some see the good sides, and others are pirates themselves. Given that I fully intend to be one of these people whose livelihood depends on people buying something I've made, I've put a good deal of thought into how I would feel about people pirating that thing.

You talk as though pirates are all these horrible, horrible people who just pirate everything and leave the people who produce the stuff they enjoy to hang. That's a ridiculous caricature that has absolutely no bearing on the reality of things. I say that as someone who has pirated versions of both NWN2+MotB and a legit version of NWN2 Gold sitting in front of me, mp3s from albums that I now own, et cetera.

It just isn't as clear-cut as you like to portray. A few weeks ago I was on the forum of a torrent tracker for RPGs. Someone requested a copy of the game 3:16 Carnage Among the Stars. The person who stripped the watermark and posted it on Rapidshare was the same person who noted that if they enjoyed the game, they should buy them game. These anecdotes in no way show that piracy is good, but I'm really sick of this nonsense perception that pirates are all arseholes. They're not, and the demonisation of pirates is ridiculous.

Why should I? I can have my cake and eat it too, and it doesn't change the practicalities of the matter at all. Me not playing the game and me pirating the game have exactly the same impact on the publisher - no sale.

See, I don't understand your side of this argument. Why do without it? It's there for the taking, and the developer gets the same amount anyway (nothing).

For instance - I can't ever see myself buying Flash in the forseeable future. It's an $800 program - I just can't afford it. However, it's also extremely convenient for me to have it for a uni course I'm doing. Why shouldn't I pirate it? I just can't see any good reason not to - Adobe make as much money from me if I pirate it as if I do without and greatly inconvenience myself.

I agree (I think). If someone can justify the cost of something they want to themselves, then not buying it is probably being selfish (yes, I've twisted your words a bit :p ).

Pirates are leechers - much like someone in a torrent swarm who downloads but doesn't upload. Leeching isn't bad, as such - you don't cost anyone anything - but equally it's not that nice either.

That's the same basic stance that most indie PnP developers seem to take, from my reading on Story Games.

Also, the basic idea behind his second point - even if piracy is morally wrong - it's not going away. There are no measures drastic enough that any organisation can take that would stop it (and I sincerely hope I'm right about that, or the internet is going to turn into a vacant corporate ****heap). Railing against it isn't going to help - there are millions of people who don't find it wrong enough to stop doing it.

The only thing to do is accept it, because the non-acceptance of it is irrelevant. Pirates are going to ignore you and your frantic flailing to stop it. All the litigating and DRM in the world is never going to help. There are perfectly valid ways forward that don't involve all companies creating stuff to go out of business (indeed, just continuing on as-is will probably not make them go out of business, though it's hardly optimal). It's just a matter of giving up on how things used to be done and dealing with the current reality of the matter.

Sorry, but that's really stupid. Got a spare penal colony to send the odd, oh, I don't know, several million people to? There's a good reason to colonise the moon right there, so we have somewhere to put all those dastardly pirates that are ruining everything!

Also, as you seem not to realise, there are many valid uses for p2p. Taleworlds, for instance, distributes Mount & Blade through torrents to save on bandwidth.

Also, would someone please listen to joacqin before he has a stroke?

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @joacqin: Earthquakes are not man-made. Software piracy is. There is a huge difference between the two.

Murder, rape, burglary and other crimes (as defined by the criminal statutes) are facts of life, but that doesn't mean we have to live with them or tolerate them.

The fact of the matter is, somebody out there invests a lot of time and effort producing software. That software is their intellectual property, and they make it available to the general public under certain conditions, e.g. they ask us to pay for the privilege to use it. Using their property without paying for it is, IMO, a violation of their property rights. It is THEIR property and THEY make the rules for using it. If you don't like the rules, don't use their software. If enough people agree with you, they'll get the idea and change the rules. But steal (which is the common word for using other peoples' property without their consent!) their software, and you have in fact stolen their time and effort.

Nakia likes this.
  12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was going to reply to joacqin's last post, and then I read Montresor's response, and realized I would just end up repeating his first two sentences. :)

The problem I have with this arguement is that I suspect a lot of pirates use this as a convenient excuse to justify what they would do anyway. Oh, I have no doubt that they believe it to be true (and maybe it is to a certain extent), but if there really was no way steal a particular piece of software, how many of those pirates would bite the bullet and buy it anyway? I suspect quite a few. Once you get used to stealing software that you really wouldn't buy anyway, it becomes easier to steal software that you would buy.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So it is basically selfishness on your part then. You care nothing for the fact that you are making your life more convenient at the expense of the person/people who put a lot of hard work into developing that piece of software you find so convenient. If everyone felt as you do, you would not have that $800 piece of software to make your life so convenient because it would not be out there for you to take; nobody would incur the expense of producing such a thing because there would be no way for them to recoup the expense.

If you can't afford the software and it's not necessary for your class (which it obviously is not otherwise it would be a class requirement), then make do without it. So what if your life is a bit more inconvenient? You're not entitled to take whatever you want just because you want it; it doesn't belong to you.

It is still a mystery to me that people can see no problem with the above. IMO it's simply moral immaturity in the same vein as people thinking one must believe in a god that will punish you in order for anyone to act morally. You feel it's OK to do something because you can get away with it; that isn't morally mature when you live in a society.

I don't agree at all. You could say the same of any crime, yet we all have locks on our doors (as one example). The lock is irrelevant if a thief really wants in your house or car, yet it still keeps the riff-raff out.

Nakia likes this.
  14. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I think part of the problem is the perceived value of what you buy. Its also the reason why music piracy is huge, and is compounded by the rising costs of games, music and movies, and the dropping quality and replayability, and lately, the nickle-and-diming that so many software companies are guilty of.

In more detail...

People pirate things because they dont attach value to them. A movie file on a server has no value to them. They dont get excited about it, they just download it, because its there. Movies represent little value to them, because of the high price associated with them.

I think the problem is even worse with music, and thats because the cost of music is disproportionately high. People just dont think its worth the asking price, and so they pay what they feel its worth - usually nothing. The experiment by radiohead should show at least that much - when people were asked to donate what they felt the album was worse, what they donated was generally a lot less than is normally asked for.

In some ways, the problem is as bad or worse than games. I dont pirate games, I stopped doing so when I finished university, got a regular job, and became able to afford games. Should I have pirated them earlier? No, I'll admit that much. In fact, the problem with piracy, is that because games are so freely available, you actually lose much of your enthusiasm for them. Now I'm proud of my game and movie collection. The thing is with games, is that when it becomes obvious that an addon is in development at the same time as the main game, in order to reap more money from innocent customers, people stop to think "You are putting business decisions above game enjoyment". And thats when the perceived value of a game drops, and piracy runs rampant. Same thing with making a 10 hour game and selling it for full price. People hear about it, and dont bother with buying it.

Oh yeah, game development costs are rising, there is no doubt about that. But what people forget is where that impetus comes from. the most succesful and well loved games of all time have generally had bad graphics, even in comparison to their contempories. Look at BG2, StarCraft, Diablo 2, Pokemon... all top selling games with distinctly underwhelming graphics, but marked out by good gameplay and high production values. Developing top notch graphics, ala Crysis, may be expensive, but paradoxically its also completely lost on gamers long term.

On a related note, I just discovered that my Pokemon FireRed is almost 100% certain to be pirate. I picked it up cheaply off eBay last year, after getting hooked on Diamond. I'm actually upset about it, feel bad. Also, theres a good chance it wont interact properly with my Pokemon Diamond because of its pirate nature. Sigh...

(before anyone disses Pokemon, its a criminally addictive RPG, albeit with a lousy story)

I can definitely see how, in the case of Nintendo, a closed platform is a good counter piracy measure.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Montresor has replied to this already, but just to reiterate again, arguments like "piracy is here, so just shut up and get used to it" are equally ridiculous as saying "murders have been happening for as long as humans have walked the earth, so just shut up and get used to it". What sets humans apart from the animal kingdom is being able to hold ourselves to certain higher standards, either moral or religious. Just because something is happening doesn't make it right. Just because 95% of software sold in China is pirated doesn't mean it is right. And not even the Chinese government is condoning it any more but rather cracking down on it (or going for open source alternatives) because even if they'd rather have pirated software for all of their people, they realize that by allowing that they are alienating the entire Western world that has a much higher degree of respect for intellectual property and copyright than China. You can afford to pirate left and right when you live in an enclosed bubble, but not when your country is trying to play on the world market.

Sorry, but you're no more qualified to portray the majority of the pirates than I am (though I've got a few more years of experience). I speak from personal experience and from 20 years of knowing friends, relatives and online acquaintances pirating software. Heck, I've done it too. I know what the prevailing attitude is, and most of them never even think about what the consequences of their pirating are. To the overwhelming majority it simply represents a quick and easy way to get something that they want/need at no cost. End of story.

Actually, you're probably too young to realize this, but the first major pirate groups back in the early nineties all had that written in their nfo's. It's not something new or extraordinary. It's just viewed as a bad joke or a serious dose of irony by most of the people who pirate games. Representing pirates as modern day Robin Hoods may help you to put your mind at ease, but it's not the reality of the situation. Saying that it's ok to pirate bad games but not good games is also fundamentally wrong. It's like saying that it's ok to steal an old Ford, but that BMWs and Mercedeses should only be bought.

Another of the classic misguided arguments. As has been said numerous times in this thread, so just because you can do it, it's ok to do it? By that logic, you're saying that it's ok if you steal from someone rich enough not to notice or miss it. After all, it'll have no impact on them. Or so you think.

Sorry, but who exactly do you think you are to decide what has an impact and what doesn't when it comes to someone else's property? What kind of entitlement culture do you live in to think that you get to decide when it's ok to take something that isn't yours and make predictions on what kind of an impact it will have?

How many times have you pirated a game and then also gave it to a friend who probably also gave it to another friend and so on? Are you omnipresent to know that none of these people would have bought the said game if it didn't practically land in their lap for free? There are hundreds of other related scenarios which could mean that someone in the chain would have bought the game if they had no other choice, but won't because of something that someone potentially thousands of miles away up the chain did. Bet you that they didn't think it would have any sort of impact either.

We have a saying in Slovenia: opportunity makes a thief. I got a bunch of pirated games when I was a kid and it never even occurred to me to buy them. Why would it? I could get them all for free. It'd be stupid to waste money on them. But from today's perspective, I see that back then I was a selfish, ignorant kid whose big picture included my personal satisfaction... and nothing else.

But if I hadn't easily received all those games for free, I'd either have to go without, or go to the store and buy them, same as with any other thing (and for many games, I would have). They wouldn't materialize on my desk just because I wanted them.

Of course you don't. Read above. All of your arguments are identical at the core; you're basically convinced that it makes no difference whether you pirate games or not. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's simply not true and you're not entitled to make that choice either.

Substitute the word "piracy" with "pedophillia" to reveal the frank stupidity of arguments along this line.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But it isn't stupidity Tal, if paedophilia was absolutely rampant and accepted by a large part of society if not most then it would be decriminalized sooner or later despite that we might find it abhorrent. Right and wrong lies in the society, there is no eternal truth that theft is wrong, it is just something we have all agreed to be wrong because we don't want our stuff stolen. Producers of digitalized products have the opportunity to use and exploit the most efficient means of distribution ever and what do they do? They fight it, they criminalize the use of it. It is ridiculous, there are PLENTY of ways to make money from products without the actual sale.

Mark my words, the only way to stop "piracy" is to walk the path of the police state and even then it will fail and in 20 years everything will be up for grabs and the creators of the products will make more money than ever.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do you have a study or some statistics that say a "large part of society if not most" think piracy is OK? It seems very anecdotal to me, and I find that hard to believe given just this small segment of people on this board.

Now, I do believe that many have pirated something at some time in their lives, but I don't think most believe it was right to do so.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    No. You don't get the point. You can't decriminalize something like pedophilia or piracy because by their nature they involve tangible harm to another. To decriminalize piracy you would need to decriminalize copyright breach and theft and to decriminalize pedophilia you would need to decriminalize child abuse, the application of age of consent, rape and a whole slew of other related crimes. Communal property has been tried and rejected by societies throughout history. And while history does tend to repeat itself, it's not likely that any country that has tried a state-imposed forced system of it will go back to it anytime soon.

Thinking that just because something happens on a large scale, no matter how bad it is, it will eventually get accepted as the norm only works in very rare cases when the victim isn't immediately apparent or is potentially not there (e.g. homosexuality).

I'm not sure which part of the fact that if everyone pirated software no one would be producing it any more (or certainly nowhere as fast, good or on the scale as it is now) don't you want to understand. When there is no tangible reward for someone's work, they have no concrete desire to perform it, apart from rare cases of voluntarism. Despite what you seem to think, making money without actual sales is much harder and works in far fewer cases. Ask any economist.

My country has been through this kind of common ownership system that was thought to be more fair and revolutionary and prosperous and a bunch of other nonsense at the time. But believe it or not, when everything that anyone made got taken away from them and redistributed as a higher authority saw fit, the workers no longer had any desire to either produce quality products or to work hard. They worked, because that was required, but what they produced was produced for the sake of satisfying norms, not because they wanted to make something good or new. Work for the sake of work, which means no originality, no innovation, no extra effort.

The only sensible argument in this discussion is that current forms of copyright protection don't work well enough and are too inconvenient for the legitimate customers, so better and less invasive forms of DRM need to be devised. Mass piracy is certainly not the answer to the problem, it's what's making it worse.

19. Nakia

Media:
    Hokay, Joacqin, you just pushed one of my buttoms. If paedophilia was legalized it would still be morally wrong. Once upon a time everyone thought the earth was flat that didn't make it true. Replace the word piracy with any other crime that society says is wrong and you get the same thing. I believe there was a thread on morality and legality a few months ago. The two may be related but are not the same thing.

Further as Tal pointed out if all or the majority of us decided to pirate whatever software we want developers would stop producing software. Nada, nunca, no software for any of us. Piracy is wrong because you are taking without permission something that does not belong to you. It does hurt us all. It raises the price of software or in the exteme will stop software development.Maybe I hold myself to a higher standard than you hold yourself but even when I download free software I donate at least a small sum to the developer or publisher. It is my way of saying thank you for their time and effort.

When it comes to software I usually wait to buy for two main reasons. 1) Bugs 2)Price.

20. joacqin

Media:
    I have yet to see any hard numbers of it stopping production of anything, for every prospective sale you lose due to piracy you gain at least one prospective customer due to them actually being exposed to your product. The only numbers I have seen are from the music industry and despite them griping a lot about piracy they do not seem to lose much money. The artists sure dont seem to lose much, more and more artists embrace the internet and "piracy" because they understand that what tehy might lose in a CD sale they gain by more people listening to their music and thus going to their concerts and stuff like that.

I am not going to go into it anymore, if people can not understand that it is pointless to fight something whether they like it or not I won't convince them. A lot of you seem to prefer police state like measurements over the fact of piracy and I do not agree with that. One idea I have liked since I heard was to levy a fee on your ISP kinda like how Radio stations pay to play music, here in Sweden it is called STIM. You see, I do not think we should let everything be free, people need to be paid somehow but the old way obviously do not work so instead of struggling to keep something that is horribly flawed and impossible to control we need to find other ways. The ISPs collect an extra fee from their users and then they somehow distribute it among the producers of, well just about anything. Plenty of details to hammer out but it is one way to go. Any protection inside the code of a product itself will be cracked and has been pointed out more often than not it is the paying customer that sits there with a cumbersome protection while the pirate has smooth sailing. NWN2 did a pretty smart thing, I downloaded the game when it was new to check it out and there was no problem at all, until I tried to trade with the vendor which I couldn't do. Small things like this work, I went out and bought the game (almost a year later but still). Allow the pirates a almost workable demo but some small annoying detail left out, sure they will crack it but it will take a while for them to even notice it is there and by then the people who really want the game will probably have bought it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.