1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pirates: A new beginning

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Takara, Sep 11, 2004.

1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Sol finished wrapping the dead men in sheets. They would be brought on board last, so all could see, and pay their respects to the fallen men. He reflected that he would have had to wrap many more, if it weren't for the skills of Alexa.

Pirating and smuggling could be a 'every man for himself' game, but aboard the Marauder, Captain Arvin had made an effort to get the crew to know one another, so that the death of a member of the crew was always mourned.

Sol had hired a carriage and it would bring them to the ship soon, then they could set sail, and make ready for the burial at sea. Arvin had plan's he had yet to tell the crew, but he would prepare the burial before anything.

As the Carriage drew up to the Sawbones building, Sol turned to Alexa, "You come with us if you like. We could do with a proper surgeon on board, and you're bound to make better money than what you make in freetown."

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Reaching the gangplank to his vessel, Arvin observed the crew cheering his, and Turks, return. Holding back the emotion that this welcome sparked, he stalked up the plank. Getting on deck, he surveyed who was left. Although many friends had fallen, for that was what they were, it warmed his heart to recognise faces.

Making sure he kept his pains to himself, so as to appear fit and dangerous, he stalked up to the stern of the ship. Standing by the rail, overlooking the deck, he began to speak to the crew.

"Last night we be attacked by a vile pirate by the name o' Black Pete. Many of ye dont be knowin' my past with him, and that dont be too important now. We lost many friends, many men who fought beside us. We will mourn their passin' in the traditional way.
    To those of ye who survived, I make this vow, I will not rest, nor will I be stopped, from exacting a painful, and merciless death upon those who wronged us. We have comrades who died, and they be deservin' vengeance. I pledge this vengeance to ye, and to them!"

With the words them, Arvin pointed at some of the dead crew that had been layed out against one rail.

"We have lost many of yer representitives to me council. The Master be dead, as be the bosun, and master gunner. It be up to ye to determine who be fillin' these roles. It be essential that they have yer trust. I would like to be suggestin' Turk fer the role o' QuaterMaster. He be with this ship longer than any o' ye. He also be as loyal to ye as could be. Last night he be makin' his way to warn me, though he be seriously wounded. I say to ye that he be yer man! What say ye?"

With a roar, the crew shouted its approval, for they all knew that Turk was one of the most steadfast of them.

"The Roles o' Gunner, and Bosun, I'll be leavin' with ye to determine. As fer now, we be needin' to repair our ship, and gather more crew. If we be goin' after Pete, we need more men. Also, I be needin' to find out where he be goin'. But dont worry, we be sailin' soon.

Lastly, I be wantin' to see those of ye who are new to us, yet fought as bravely as one o' us in me cabin, and ye also Turk."

Coming down from the bridge of the ship, he entered his cabin.

3. The Kilted Crusader

With the bodies aboard, Sol went to tell the captain. He knocked on the cabin door, there was a faint “enter” and Sol opened the door. The captain was busy at his desk, compass and map in hand.

“The dead are aboard as ordered sir.”

“Thank you Sol. Before you leave, since you were mate to the Bosun, you’ve been voted to take his place.” The captain smiled “congratulations.” Sol found it hard to stop the smiling edging across his face.

“With your new duties, you won’t have time to serve as the Sailing master’s mate, but it is also unseemly, so you have been relieved at that. However the shipmaster suggests you continue your studies. He says you have talent for it.” He turned back to the maps. “you may leave.”

The smile on Sol’s face was wide across his swarthy features as he walked across the deck.

4. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Alexa walked up the gangplank of the Violet Marauder. She was nervous, but hopeful that the captain would accept her onboard as a member of the crew.

Glancing around the deck, she noticed many of the crew that she had helped to treat standing over the bodies that Sol had brought onboard. She closed her eyes briefly, trying to hold back the waves of regret that washed over her. She hadn't been able to save everyone, and that was hard to deal with.

Gathering her strength, she headed to the captain's cabin, and knocked on the door. At the command to enter, she pushed open the door and walked in.

Alexa looked over the captain critically. He still appeared to be weak, to be expected, given his injuries. "Captain, my name is Alexa. I wished to offer my services as a surgeon to you and your crew. I have some skill with both dagger and pistol, as well as the ability to create a wide range of explosives with a variety of materials."

She stood there, hoping that he would accept her as a member of the crew, hoping that she would finally get away from the nightmare that Freetown held for her.

5. Takara

Media:
    Looking up from his desk, Arvin took the measure of the lass standing in front of him. Hard to believe she had survived in Freetown, and that had to speak for her skills as a surgeon, given that less useful people quickly...disappeared.

The other great compliment to her talents, was his dressings, and the number of crewmen that she helped.

"Ye deserve more thanks then I could give ye lass. I have men on that deck, who would not be alive if it weren't fer ye. I'd not be alive if it weren't fer ye. And I'll not forget that.
    Ye want to be joinin' me crew? An interesting proposal. Yer skills are greatly desired, and would be most surely welcome. I'm surprised ye want onto a ship of pirates though. We not be know fer our gentle side. Ye will have to fit in, and strength be admired, more than anything else.

Still, the men know what ye done fer us, and ye not be havin' to worry about them. The role o' surgeon used to be Turk's. Given his new duties we be in need of one to be sure."
    Chuckling loudly, he also added,"I'd be mighty glad to have someone with a gentler touch too. Turk couldn't find the right end o' a pin if ye gave him a map, but he did a good job none the less."

Rising to his feet, Arvin looked into Alexa's eyes. "Welcome aboard, if ye be needin' anything, I'm sure our new Bosun can help settle ye in. That be Sol. Also, ye mentioned explosives... I might be havin a word with ye about that before long."

6. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Alexa let out the breath she had been holding and smiled. She might finally be able to leave the past behind.

"Captain, I can hold my own, even though I am a woman. Worry not about my strength. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you and the rest of the crew." She grinned. "My explosives are at your disposal, sir. All you need to do is ask."

Bowing slightly, she left the cabin in search of the Bosun. If the captain wanted explosives, she had best get to work.

7. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Admiringly grinning to that wonderful speech of Arvin, which was basically I have been grieved by this man, and it's is your alls duty to exact vengeance along with me, he knocked on the door of Arvins cabin.

Hmm... that sawbones was to join the crew... now there's a lucky break - it was rare for a pirate ship to have a surgeon who was more medic than butcher.

Regardless, for now he just wanted to get his position comfirmed, his pockets filled, and a chance to go and get a good drink and another at the rotten kelp.

:borg:

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Reeves did as his Captain had bid, with his usual efficiency and snark. Of course, the cover story he had provided was a bit more far from "plausible" than the captain would probably like, but knowing the crew, any story would have gained more embellishments than a dockside whore by the time they'd had their secoond bottles of rum.

He knew he'd be heading off the taverns, himself, after he'd gotten the supplies, but he'd be damned if he'd touch a drop of rum.

Then again, he reflected as he looked at the supplu list, this just might take a while. He'd seen stranger lists, but that had been when they'd had Mad-Jack Bloomer as quartermaster and the old coot had been dead for years, now. It was clear that the Captain had planned something very, very devious.

Shrugging, Reeves headed off past the grumbling guards. He would go toi the nearest good tavern for a bottle of good red, and then head off to get a headache from the list.

9. Takara

Media:
    As The young man with the knives entered his cabin, a wince, and a smile crossed Arvin's face.

Gesturing at a seat he had in front of his desk, Arvin asked him to have a seat.

"I promised ye a purse o' coin fer yer efforts. I'll not go back on me word...though many a pirate might. I feel ye more than earned it, and want to be keepin' ye around."

Rooting about in his desk, he pulled out a bag, Arvin looked at the man in front of him. "What was it? 3 dabloons per corpse?"

At the look of cynicism on the man's face, he chuckled. "Ok, 5 dabloons...I'm not too different from many pirates."

Counting out the money, he handed it across.

"Now, I be thinkin' ye might be hading off now. I hope ye dont, and want to sign onto me crew. The men saw what ye did, and I be sure they be welcomin' ye. If ye do stay, I cant be promisin' riches, but Pete took a large chest o' gold, and me crew will be gettin' shares accordin' to the articles. Interested?"

10. The Kilted Crusader

Sol walked down the stairs to the small brig where the survivors of the enemy crew huddled, defenceless in irons and chains. Sol picked a man at random, and hauled him to his feet. He grunted as the irons bit into his skin. Sol slammed a fist into the man's face so hard that he flew back, the chains rocking against the hold of the wall.

The man fell, clattering into one of his fellows. Sol reached for the dazed man again and hurled him against the wall. "Where is Black Pete?" He shouted at the man. The man began to slump, but Sol's uppercut knocked him onto his toes. This time he simply flopped to the ground.

Sol cursed loudly and dragged his scimitar from it's scabbard. Glaring at the next man, he stalked toward him. He hadn't even reached him when he called out "Hangman's Folly! He said he would moor his ship at the Hangman's Folly cove!" Sol lifted the blade but the man let out a cry of "Please!"

Convinced of the man, Sol slipped the scimitar back onto his back and left the room, slamming the Brig cage behind him and Locking it tight. He passed up the stairs and went immediately to Arvin's cabin. He had little doubt of the man's words. They were out to save their own skin, not their captain's.

Sol went straight to Arvin's cabin and swung open the doors. "Black Pete is at Hangman's Folly. The prisoners gave up the whereabouts."

11. Takara

Media:
    Jumping to his feet, Arvin knocked his chair back. As it clattered to the floor, Arvin let out a roar.

"Hangman's Folly!? Why that devious rat. That be where I lost him, and escaped to sea last time we crossed! Only one as sore as he would be throwin' that back at me!"

Stalking over to his window, he looked out over the harbour. Casting his mind back through time, he recalled the final moments of his last encounter with Pete. As the Marauder left the cove of Hangman's folly, he looked back and saw Pete screaming curses at him from the shoreline.

He could understand the hatred that they shared between them. As often is the case, it came down to a woman. Pete had been pursuing this comely lass from Freetown for a while. Black Pete had thought that he would have her, since he had just become Captain of his own vessel.

Into this, he had sailed into port, Master aboard the pirate ship, Vengeance. He had been quite cocky then, as their ship had taken down a galleon, loaded with spanish gold. He had waltzed back into the Rotten Kelp like he owned the place. His flashy demeanor had swept Liza, that was the lass' name, off her feet. They had had a whirlwind romance, and Pete was forgotten.

Outraged, Pete had come looking for him. In the fight that followed, Liza had been shot and killed. He had put Pete down, but had decided to spare his life. One he had learned to regret.

Not long after, the Vengeance had been hunted down, and sunk, with most hands. After struggling back to Freetown, he had a run in with Pete again, one that blackened their animosity further. For with the aid of friends of his, he had stolen Pete's ship: The Violet Marauder.

Ever since, there had been blood between them, and it was of the darkest sort.

Looking back at Sol, he walked over to his chest, and pulled out what money he had saved. Taking over half of it out, he tossed it to Sol.

"Get the ship repaired, and be getting more crew. We'll be chasin' after Pete as soon as we can, and this time I'll kill that son of a whore, like I should have done a long time ago."

12. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Smiling a predatorial smile, Jean declared: it would be my pleasure to sail with you... see the world, travel around, meet interesting people and KILL THEM if they don't promptly surrender they valuables... sounds like something I could settle for.

I'd be happy to be sailing with ye, and I'll wager that I can spill plenty of blood, and earn plenty of gold, doing so.

Riches? Right now, I rather value my life, and that be seeming to be in more then a little jeopardy in this 'ere lovely town.

So... I can hardly imagine we'll be sailing this night... do I get to spend these lovely charmers here afore we leave, hinting to the pouch of gold coins before him.

Even if not... I am now in your service, and my blood will flow for you, if need be. Count on it that it's unlikely *I* will do any bleeding though.

And with a glean in his eyes, he stroked the hilt if one of his knives.
    If that was all, captain?

13. Takara

Media:
    Turning to look at Jean, Arvin let a smile cross his lips.

"We'll be layed up in port fer a day or two. Sol will be workin' with Turk, and craftsmen from Freetown to get us repaired. Ye can bunk with the rest o' the crew, or be stayin' in town 'till we be leavin'. Ye can spend yer gold, or not. It be up to each man to decide. As fer joinin' us. I be glad o' that. Welcome aboard."

Picking his chair back up, Arvin sat back down, and pulled out a few charts. Giving a nod to both men, he let them go.

14. The Kilted Crusader

Sol had bought the materials to repair the ship. Wood, tar and moss mainly. Wood to replace the broken boards and planks. Moss to wad the holes and tar to set it in more securely. He’d set the carpenter to work preparing the planks, and had his apprentice preparing the tar, whilst Sol and some of the other men pulled got rid of the planks beyond repair.

Sol had the men working hard. He also had them working in shift’s, on the captain's order, while the others could spend their loot. As a strong swimmer, Sol and several others were constantly diving into the harbour to look for any coins or treasures the had been on board the enemy ship. They had found a small bounty so far, enough for a small chest, but it would replace the money needed to the repair the ship.

The crew had virtually finished stripping down the most of the ship, and it was ready for the wood to be replaced, but it would still take another two days before they could set sail.

15. Takara

Media:
    Rooting through his large Armoire, Arvin looked about for some basic clothing. Still, not so basic as he wore on ship, but simple. Finding something to his tastes, he put on a broad brimed hat.

Opening his cabin door, he walked out onto deck. Scanning the work going on, he walked over to where Sol was bellowing orders about.

"Ye look to be doin' a fair job here. I be glad to see ye got craftsmen from town." Looking at his sweat, and cuts, he narrowed his eyes. "Dont be workin' too hard fer too long. Ye be needin' shoreleave like the rest. Fer now, I have something I be needin' te do."

Walking down the gangplank, he walked into town. In the market that Freetown had, he proceeded to nail up billings advertising for crewman looking for adventure, and plunder. Satisfied he might soon be getting some men, he went over to the flower stall.

Looking into the face of an elderly lady, he slowly smiled, though his thoughts were sad. Selecting a gentle looking bouquet of flowers, he looked up, as the lady asked him something.

"What did ye say?"

The old woman replied, "Dont look so sad, sir. I'm sure that whoever is due these flowers would rather there be sun in your heart."

With a small word of thanks, he payed for the flowers, and gave the kindly old lady an extra bit as well. Then he slowly headed off for the church. Entering the grounds, he turned left, rather than going into the building. Coming around the side, he entered the small graveyard set aside for the civillians of the town.

Walking along the rows, he finally stopped, and dropped to one knee. Gently laying the flowers on the grave, he slowly cleared the moss from the headstone. Cursing himself as he did so, for not returning sooner. Looking at the name,he softly spoke to the grave.

"Liza, I be sorry I not be visitin' so much. Been so busy at sea, and last time...well, didnt have much time here. I be missin' ye still, silly fer a pirate I know, but I do. I know ye'd be wantin' Pete left alone, but I gotta kill him now. There is nothin' I can be doin' about it. I'm sorry."

With those words he fell silent, and just sat there for a while.

16. The Kilted Crusader

Sol took the flask of water and took a good drink. He was weary and the burn on his back was bringing fresh pain with the work. He stretched and winced, the pain on the burn getting too much. He bent again and helped place the fresh plank into the hole in the ship. Taking a hammer and chisel, he wedged in a good amount of moss before allowing the other men to paste the tar over it.

He stepped back, checking their work. Satisfied, he ordered them to the next section. He glanced through the hole. It was getting dark, the moon reflecting off the water, but he figured that they might be underway sooner than he thought.

17. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Turk stopped at the entrance to the cemetery. He knew that the captain would be there. While Turk waited, he went over some things in his mind.

He was the new Quartermaster. And since the captain didn't believe in first mates, that put Turk as second in command. A large responsibilty, one that he wasn't sure he was up to. While the captain was the best at what he did, he tended to let anger cloud his judgement. And if it happened this time, Turk might have to step in to prevent Arvin from harming himself, his ship, or the crew.

Turk sighed. Stepping in between the captain and the man who took his bounty and damaged his ship would not be an easy task. But, knowing Arvin as he did, Turk knew that it was almost a given.

Roused from his thoughts by the captain rising, Turk readied himself to give news of the ship.

18. Takara

Media:
    Slowly, Arvin rose to his feet. Leaning down, he gently caressed the top of the grave, and with a whisper, he offered a final word.

"I got to be going now Liza, whatever comes, please dont be thinkin' less o' me."

Wiping the beginning of a tear from his eye, he coughed to himself, and made for the gates to the church. As he reached it, he saw Turk standing by the entrance. Pulling himself together, he walked over to where the man stood, noting he looked a little aprehensive.

"I suppose I shouldn't be surprised ye be here. Ye've known me too long. Ye looked troubled though, and that not be like ye. What troubles ye?"

19. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

"I know what yer plannin cap'n, but it's too risky. We are in no shape to go after Pete, not now. We got about two 'alfs a crew, and a patchwork ship."

He could see the response building in Arvin's throat. Turk cut him off before he could start.

"I know what 'es done to ya, but to go after Pete like this is sucide. No amount of gold, or ..." Turk glanced at the grave where Arvin had been moments before. "... or revenge is worth losing what you; nay, what we 'ave worked so 'ard for."

[ September 22, 2004, 03:00: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

20. Takara

Media:
    "So ye be suggestin' I back OFF! Let him sail his merry way perhaps, all the while laughin' at us? Do ye think ye can walk into a drinkin' hole, knowin' that peole have heard of this? That anyone may think they can be robbin' us? HE DIES! No discussion!"

As Arvin went to walk off to his ship, Turk spun him around, and barked angrily at him.

"I'll be able to walk into those places becaus I wont be DEAD! And if you do this, then we WILL be! Stop letting your anger cloud your judgement and think for God's sake!"

"So what would ye have of me? What action would ye be suggestin' I take? Every bone in my body is screamin' fer blood, and ye want me to hold back??? Do ye know what ye be askin'?"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.