1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pirates: A new beginning

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Takara, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

"I know what I ask of ya! Don ya ever forget that I owe Pete as much as you do. But gettin ourselves killed ain gonna do nothin."

Turk tried to calm himself down a bit.

"An besides, ya never let me finish. I wassun sayin we give up. I was sayin we take another approach. Ya remember that knife-throwin fella that was 'andlin things whiles we was out?"

Arvin nodded.

"Well, he was tellin me about a fella he met in the bar a coupla days back. An from what I can gather, he may be able to 'elp us with our 'problem'."

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Pacing back and forth, Arvin tried to calm himself. Seeing Liza's grave had stirred up a hornet's nest of emotion, and he desperately wanted blood, especially after the last few days.

Turning to look at Turk, he was about to say something icy, but seeing his friend, he felt something worming it's way back into his heart: Loyalty. Despite all that he felt toward Pete, and all that he wanted to do, there was one thing that cut through it all. His loyalty to his crew. He cared about them above all. His hate, his bitterness, that was all from the past. His crew was his present. Seeing Turk's anger directed at him, he knew then, that his past was endangering his present.

Getting a hold of himself, he dropped to a crouch, still feeling the anguish of seeing Liza, he started to think rationally.

"All right ye scurvy swine ye. I'll listen...."

EDIT: As Turk slowly outlined what he had in mind, Arvin could slowly start to feel his anger cooling off. With some hindsight, perhaps he had almost allowed the moment of seeing Pete again, and being near Liza, overwhelm him. As his analytical mind started to function once again, without the red fog of anger clouding it, he felt a change.

Whereas before there was this burning within his chest, and the sting as it brought acid to his throat, now it was being replaced. As the anger faded, a VERY cold feeling crept into his chest. It was like a steel knife, nestling in his belly, and he liked it. A smile started to creep onto his lips as he considered Turk's words. He was slowly concocting a possible plan, one that would finally bring an end to this sordid part of his history. It didnt matter who started this mess, all that mattered to him now was revenge, and closure. Not the hot revenge, like blood relesed from an enemies chest, after the cutlass strike... no. This was a revenge of the coldest sort. Not even the winds of the carribean could chill one's heart this much. This was of the sort born from years of woe. The sort of revenge that was held in a heart of winter. It would finally erase that... despair... at the loss of his love. It would seal it all away for good.

Turning around, he fixed a grim smile on his face, and strode off toward his ship, letting cunning plans, and tactics run through his devious mind.

[ September 28, 2004, 22:32: Message edited by: Takara ]

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Sol leaned his back against the side of the ship, bolting upright as the burn on his shoulder flared into a mass of pain. He nearly cried out, but kept his mouth closed and stumbled for the stairs.

The captain had returned a day ago, and had been in his cabin, planning with the newly promoted Master Turk. In that time, Sol had gotten the ship patched up, and had just now finished the last piece needing to be repaired. The Violet Marauder was ready to set sail.

Sol winced as the pain on his back turned to a constant, searing throbbing. He cursed, after two days of no sleep and constant work, he decided he’d see the doctor about the burn before he turned in to rest. Slowly, he made his way up the stairs and went in search of the doctor.

4. Takara

Media:
    As he sat in front of his desk, pouring over his charts one last time, Arvin felt sure of his path. Standing up he swept out of the cabin. Looking about deck, he saw that they were almost ready to sail. The past day or so, a number of desperate, and greedy men had signed on. He knew that the first engagement would either harden them, or give him less mouths to feed.

Looking about for Sol, he frowned. Not seeing him there, he headed about ship.

Finally walking into the quarters used as the makeshift surgery he spotted Sol being tended by Alexa.

"There ye be Sol, and with the saw bones too. Good. I be havin' a plan, one that be needin' you and Alexa both. First I be wantin' to say great job with the ship. She's lookin' good, and ye dont, which speaks fer yer hard work.

Now as to me plan. Alexa, do ye have some explosives made up as I be askin?"

At her nod of approval, he walked over to the barrels at the end of the room. Inspecting them, he chuckled his delight.

"Right, Sol, I be havin a dangerous task fer ye. I want ye to be takin' a few men, and these barreal overland to Hangman's folly. Meanwhile, I be taking the ship by sea around the coast. We should be getting there just befor dawn on the 'morrow. We will be attacking anyone we be findin' in that cove, blocking them in. I know we be able to kill them, but ye can help a lot.

Before dawn, I want ye to enter the cove from the land. Kill any ye be findin' on the shore. Do it quiet like. I want yer men to be set up to capture and kill any who be fleeing from the ships there, and tryin to be escapin'. Second, I be wantin ye to be taking those explosives, and if ye can, get them out to any vessels that be anchored there. These wont be sinkin the ships. But they will cause a lot of smoke, a bit of fire, and a whole ants nest of confusion. Perfect fer me to be approachin, and blowin holes in them with me cannon. Do ye think ye can be doin' this?"

5. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Alexa looked up as the captain walked into her workshop. She finished tending to Sol, and walked over to her collection of explosives.

"Captain, did you want those explosives to leave the ships intact, or did you want something a bit more destructive? It wouldn't take me long to create them, as I have everything I need here." She opened one of the barrels with a smile. "This one here is particularly effective against ships."

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

Turk walked around on the deck to stretch his legs. It had been a long few days since he had had the time to just breathe.

Ever since the fight with the captain, Turk hadn't been feeling all that well. His chest felt more constricted then usual, his appetite had waned, and his skin was a few shades lighter then its normal tan.

He put his hand over the cross that nobody knew was under his shirt and he out at the setting sun.

Not long now. Turk thought forebodingly. He looked up with a silent plea in his eyes. All I need is a little more time. Just a few more days to finish...

7. Takara

Media:
    "Nay Alexa, these barrels of smoking fire ye made up will be just dandy. I dont be wantin to blow anyone up. First they might be havin' gold, and second, Pete may be aboard. I dont be wantin them at the bottom of the cove in Davey Jones locker. All I be wantin' is some confusion and smoke amongst them, so that we can be boardin' their vessel."

8. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Alexa nodded. "Fair enough, sir. I just thought that I'd offer."

She indicated a row of barrels along the side of her surgery. "Those should do what you want quite nicely, if you're looking for wide scale distractions." She reached into a pocket and handed Arvin a small opaque bottle.

"If you want something a little more localized, throw this into a room before you go in. It will provide a smokescreen that will shield you from enemies."

9. The Kilted Crusader

"Aye - I can do that for you captain." said Sol flexing his shoulder and smiling. The pain was receding quickly. "It may help if I set fire to their sails as well, so that they can't leave when the fighting starts. Also, do you want us to go over land or by sea.

"Lastly, will you choose the men or will I? Personally, I'd like to choose, but I'd take all the best ones." he grinned as he said it, knowing the captain didn't think of anyone on board of being a lesser man to any of the others.

10. Takara

Media:
    Looking at Sol, Arvin fixed a frown on his face.

"I dont be wantin' ye to be takin' chances. I want ye to be comin' back alive, ye hear me. I lost too manymen already, I'll not be losin more. To yer questions, I want ye to be going overland. Yer'll make it there quicker than we can sail around the coast, and that be important. Ye can pick yer men, as that be a dangerous task, and ye be needin the right men. Boardin her, and a sea battle be not as demanding."

Arvin then scowled at Sol. "Whatever ye be doin, do NOT take chances! Kill his men on shore, and set a guard to take escapees from his ship. Getting those smokers onto his ship is a task I be wantin, but it is not essential. If it is too dangerous, I dont want ye to do it. I've fought more than a few sea battles, so we can take the fight. Confusion would help, but is not worth losing yer men over it."

Laying a hand on Sol's shoulder, he looked the man in the eye. "I be putting a lot of trust in ye, and I believe in ye to do the job. Dont let me down."

With that, he let Sol depart, and get to work. Turning to Alexa, he llooked aprehensive. "I know ye be wantin to leave Freetown, and that a sea battle isnt the first thing ye be wantin to get into. Are ye ready fer it?"

11. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Alexa looked at Arvin, eyes cold. "If you are asking me if I won't be able to handle a fight, Captain, I will be fine. I can take care of myself, worry not. Besides, I have my own score to settle with certain people who happen to be at Hangman's folly."

She started to pace. "I hold no love for the people of Freetown, one person in particular. I owe him a debt of pain."

12. The Kilted Crusader

Sol walked down the gangplank with two dozen crew members following. Many men from Freetown had joined the crew, and the Violet Marauder was certainly not underhanded.

Sol had managed to purchase enough horses for all the men, and he had made sure that he had the profficient riders amongst the crew for the trip.

Hopefully, they would make across land to Hangman's Cove before Arvin, but it was a long trip across large spaces of country, and there was a good chance they would get lost. Sol had studdied the maps for a long time though, and with his training from the Sailing Master, he felt confident enough to get the men to the Cove.

He mounted his horse, a tall brown mare and settled his scimitar into the saddle scabbard. He had considered for a short while the possibility of bandits, but there would be little he could do in that scenario, and he decided he would just deal with it if it came.

He urged the mare forward at a canter, and the men followed suit. He took a deep breath, and settled himself for the long ride.

13. Takara

Media:
    Surprised, Arvin re-took the measure of Alexa. Before he had seen a good doctor, and interestin powder maker. One who might be unsure of the ways of the sea. Now, he saw steel, and fire in her. Raising his estimation of the lass, Arvin considered her words.

"I do know the perils of Freetown. Especially fer a civillian lass. I dont know what ye be hatin' exactly, but from yer look, it not be good. As fer a debt of pain, in that ye be havin' company. We'll be seein' blood soon enough, and ye can choose yer own place when the time comes. I'll be givin ye that choice. As fer yer anger, ye can fill me in when ye choose, and if ye choose not to, I'll respect yer silence."

With that he strode from the room, with work to organise.

Already, he saw Sol leading off a troop of pirates. Satisfied that the men be in good hands, he set about having the ship made ready for sail. Wondering where Turk was, he went up to the stern. As the ship slowly pulled out of dock, and began it's journey round the coast, he went over the plans in his head. He'd have to make sure that Turk was happy with them. He trusted his friend enough to warn him of flaws he might have missed.

14. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Pacing the small confines of her workroom, Alexa thought on what the captain had told her. Apparently she could have her vengance, against those who wronged her, if she so chose.

Finding the room too small, Alexa walked onto the deck, and noticed that the ship was underway. On slightly unsteady legs, she walked to the bow of the ship, and looked across the water. Getting away from Freetown, even for a short time, gave her a feeling of freedom that she had never experienced before.

Pulling her dagger out from her boot, she played with it idly as her eyes scanned the horizion. "Soon, my revenge will come."

15. The Kilted Crusader

Sol kept the horses at a canter. It would be a long ride, and he did not want to tire the horses or the men too quickly. Sol was tense though, the coming battle would have to be swift, and they would have to be very silent to avoid the alarm going up before they could set the casks in place.

Sol glanced at the casks set on two pack horses. He hoped they would do the job. Next he looked to the men. He was younger than most of them, but he hoped they respected him.

Sol glanced to the sky, and at the fading sun. It would be around seven hours before they even reached Hangman's Cove, and the men had been awake since the crack of dawn to repair the ship. They would be tired by the time they reached the Cove, but hopefully the adrenaline would give them newfound strength.

Sol urged the horses on, and hoped they would arrive with plenty of time.

16. Takara

Media:
    Leaning against the rail of the stern, Arvin watched the coastline drift by. The evening dusk was settling down, and night was making her appearance. Wondering if they would even find Pete at Hangman's folly, he was impatient for the sail.

Nowing full well that he could not rush things, he listened to the sounds of the sea. The key to the plan was timing. It was all about timing. Sol would hopefully reach the cove about an hour before he did, since it was straight overland, and not around the coast. But his own arrival should be just before the breaking dawn, when Pete's crew will be slumbering from a night of revelry. If Sol got those flash casks on board, they would be woken sleepy, and confused. Perfect for him.

Now, it was just a matter of waiting. This was the worst bit, the waiting. Still, it was hardly the first time, and he ran through the plan for the hundredth time to occupy his mind. He would be ready, come the morn'

Looking down the decks, he saw the concentrated expressions of his crew. They knew how to prepare themselves, and were all going through their seperate routines to rest, and ready themselves.

Indeed, the morning was going to prove interesting. Turning back to the rail, he once more slowly watched the coast drift by.

17. The Kilted Crusader

Sol swung in the saddle to take a glance behind him. In the darkness he could barely see the men, but he heard the soft thud of the horses hooves as they moved over the grassy land. He turned to look ahead again. His eyes had adapted to the black somewhat, but his vision was extremely limited.

It was a cloudy night, and there was virtually no moonlight to see by. Sol hoped there would be a breaking in the clouds soon though, at least then he could check he was heading in the right direction by the stars. He consoled himself with the fact that Black Pete's men would not be able to see better than him in the darkness.

He was tired now though, and in the blackness, he could barely tell if his eyes were open or closed. He would have cursed to himself, but he was afraid one of the men would hear it and decide Sol was lost.

Sol Steadied himself though, and continued in the direction they were headed, keeping the vision of the map in his head and looking for Landmarks. As they skirted a steep hill with an overhanging boulder he sighed and relaxed a little, glad they were heading in the right direction.

He signalled the men to increase their pace. He knew they were close.

18. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Alexa brought herself back from her daydreams of revenge and realized that her time would be better spent making more explosives. She had spent far too much time thinking about the past. Now was not the time for such thoughts.

She walked back to her small surgery, trying not to lose her balance in the dim light. Entering the room, she immediately bumped into the table. She cursed softly and lit a lantern, letting the light fill her work space.

Whistling softly, Alexa started to combine ingredients to make more explosives that would let off a lot of smoke, but not much else. If the captain didn't want destruction, so be it.

As the night wore on, dozens of small bottles filled with explosives rested on the table, waiting for use.

[ October 04, 2004, 02:50: Message edited by: Laiwethel ]

19. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

Turk had found the captain in the mess, reading. He smiled at the captain's routine. Before every battle, Arvin always found the time to sit quietly and read. He said it calmed his mind. Turk sat down next to his captain, just as the captain was closing his book.

"Cap'n, I came down ta let ya know that we are close to our 'goal'."

Arvin nodded as Turk continued. "Before we go out there, I jus wanta tell ya that its been an 'onor servin under ya fer all these years."

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Black Pete chuckled through a beard full of crumbs. "Aye, ye were right, Marius. They're headin' fer Hangman's Folly, just as ye planned."

"It's nice to know that some things in life are consistent, even if it is another man's death wish for you." Marius hid his disgust at his compatriot's table manners in a sip of wine.

Another thing he could count on was the quality of his spies. They informed him that few people had noticed the absence in Freetown of more of the local ruffians than could be accounted for by Arvin's recruiting drive. Unfortunately, they also told him that the sawbones with the taste for explosions had vacated her shop. Her presence in Arvin's crew added a dimension to the battle that he hadn't considered. Good thing that the upcoming skirmish was little more than a learning exercise, an opportunity for him to see de Grath in action. He had to know what to expect of his future "ally" before finalizing his plans for the real mission ahead.

"Say your farewells to the Nightwind, Pete, and get over to her replacement. De Grath is on the move and I expect we'll be busy come morning."

Too bad that the ruse he'd so carefully prepared would result in the loss of one of Freeport's decent shipwrights, but sometimes such things couldn't be helped.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.