1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Bush and impeachment

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Exactly chev. That's why I say you can't prove it. Claiming that something is true when it isn't true, isn't lying unless you are deliberately trying to deceive. That's why I think that we can never prove that Bush lied. I do believe that he honestly thought that there were WMD in Iraq. As you said, that makes him incompetent, and to that list, I'd like to add poorly informed, and just plain wrong, but it doesn't necessarily make him a liar.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Well if he's incompetent, he should still be removed before he screws up anything else. And I'm not willing to wait three years.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I believe I have been misunderstood. I am not saying that Saddam had WMD and the U.S. like a bunch of bungling idiots was unable to find them. Instead what I am saying is that Iraq did not go out of there way to disprove their existance. For years they led the weapons inspectors on wild goose chases, forbidding them access to places, letting them into places, then evicting them, etc. etc. It is only now in hindsight (which is 20/20) that we realize that Iraq was playing a game to tweak the noses of the west, scare their neighbors, and gain stature in the muslim world.

To put it another way. Pretend you are a policeman and you pull over a known drug dealer. You ask them if they have any contraband in the trunk. They say no. You ask them to open the trunk, they so no. What else are you supposed to think?

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

But keep in mind that just before the war Saddam let in the international inspectors to see if he had or not WoMD.

5. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

For what it's worth -- the Wall Stree Journal poll that was just released yesterday.

I think the delusion is long gone.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

We'll have a more similar situation if we added the drug dealers girlfriend and son to the situation and the police officer was forced to shoot both of them to get to the drugs only to find out that there was none. ;)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, back then everyone but the U.S. knew that and kept pointing out the obvious bluff - in vain. The problem isn't that Bush said "ok, that's it, we're calling your bluff", but that his administration fabricated "proof" of his having WMD and and a bunch of other nonsense to justify the invasion. Frankness would have been a much smaller crime in the eyes of the world than hypocrisy and deception.

8. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

But Tal...it wasn't just the US that thought Iraq had WMD. Russia, The UK, China all had intelligence that considered it to be highly likely or pre-existing. Sure, the French were skeptical...but they may have only been hoping for one less national enemy to surrender to. :p

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

And whats that based on?

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Ummm.... History?

11. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Dream on. Bush did not lie about the WMDs. We know for a fact that Iraq had them as late as 1998, when the inspectors were kicked out. We damned sure know he used them. Just ask any Kurd or veteran of the Iranian army. But rather than asking where the weapons are, you people will pretend that they were not there. There's no proof that he destoyed them, so where did they go? For all we know, they could have been shipped to mosques in DC, London, and Rome. Or they could be buried in the Iraqi desert.

12. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Actually, the "French" part is very important. 6 months before the war and particularly about 1 month before, how much attention was paid towards actual evidence of WMD's and how much attention was paid towards some Euros don't saying "yes, you are absolutely right, smart one, WMD's all over".

The Euros still are an important part of the argumentation that there was actually reason to believe that there would be WMA's. If the Euros say there are no WMD's, the likelyhood of existing WMA quadruples, of course! One of strongest indications for the existence of WMA's: An Euro "no".

So, no. In Europe at that time, the believe that WMA's existed was distinctively less spread. All over Europe. And I think that's tight to important military heads and heads of military-science departments judging the whole story as a piece of ****.

Ironically, this also explains the easily made observation that a lot of people in Europe think of Americans as not too bright. The syllogism is the following:

1 -> very shaky rumours about WMD's
    2 -> Americans buy it
    3 -> Americans seem to buy very shaky rumours rather easily.

Leads to value judgement: Critical Thinking department does not seem that developed.

Oh, of course, I hold all members of this board in highest estimation. Particularly their brains.

Impeachement?

1 - Did he lie?

Yes, he did.

2 - Does he have to be impeached ?

No, he does not. It's no crime for a president to fool his own people.

P.S. The British I know are much more the way the Americans would actually expect the French to be.

[ October 14, 2005, 19:57: Message edited by: Iago ]

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Uh... where are you getting this from? How do you know what Russia or China thought? And throwing in the UK, which was part of fabricating the "evidence" for the invasion is pretty silly. The US and the UK were allies in the war, so they both got their hands dirty.

As for the ridiculous French joke... please. This isn't Whatnots, and you should know better as a moderator.

Yea, the ones the US sold to him before... too bad he apparently used them all up. No one is saying they weren't there at some point. The point is, they weren't there where and when Bush conned the world into believing they were with fake photographs and fabricted "evidence".

And oh sure, they just put all the WMDs in crates and shipped them to London and Rome. No one would notice that.

Or buried them under the guise of their Klingon cloaking devices so that none of the US (or any other country's) spy satellites could spot them burying massive amounts of WMD in the middle of the desert... or find any trace of them after years of desperate searching.

And the fact that the US investigators themselves issued a report on the non-existence of WMD's in Iraq doesn't faze true believers like khazadman one bit. Sorry, but I find that seriously amusing. People chosing to continue believing a lie despite their own side finally admitting to it are simply a phenomenon I'll never be able to understand.

14. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Of course we all know that he had WoMD in the past (and he used them) but that doesn' meen he still had them 3 years ago.

And there is no proof that he didn't. Of course they could be shipped abroad but that would meen that Saddam wasn't lying about having WoMD in Iraque.
    They could be also burried in desert sands but how to find them? And according to law of any counrty you MUST HAVE a proof to acknowlage one's guilt. No weapons=no proof=innocence. And as long as those weapons are not found I will say that Bush lied. Show me those weapons and I will change mu view about Bush's statement.

15. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Just to make things clear: for me, WMD stands for nukes. I know that technically it can encompass biological or chemical agents (which the Iraqis had some), but I think what Bush used to sell the war on was "the mushroom cloud". Actually, I think the term "WMD" as such appeared rather late in the drive to war, when it sort of became clear that actually there was not much nuclear material to speak of; so the geniuses responsible for selling the war turned around and started talking about WMD (which the general population still took as shorthand for nukes, of course).

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I disagree. WMD means any means of killing mass amounts of people quickly. This includes nukes, chemical, biological, and I don't know what else.

17. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I second that.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Not that it matters, considering nothing was found that would fit even the most encompassing definition.

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The W.M.D's were 'almost' found at crucial times, just like bin Laden had been cornered many times over the past few years.

20. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Oh, come on. Would anyone have cared if Saddam had chemical weapons (in fact he had such). The whole brouhaha was over nukes. The Bush administration cleverly moved to use the WMD term, so that the average guy would understand nukes, while retaining some chances of covering their asses in case none were found. It is a classic case of using `code words`, and the people in power now are masters at this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.