1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Cheese

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shell, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Give me a nice old cheddar cheese or some feta and I'm a happy elf.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Parmagianna-Regianno, Feta, sharp cheddar, gruyere, gouda, edam, fontina...

And don't forget Philadelphia Cream Cheese, on the morning bagel. :roll:

3. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I'm sorry, but cottage cheese does not qualify as cheese. :sick:

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I like it sometimes. Not in sarnies, but occasioally like a cheese sauce type. Don't like blue cheese or camembert just good ol' chedder.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I like cheese a lot. We have hundreds of different sorts of cheese in France...

And I worked 3 months in a cheese factory which specializes in Bleu de Gex (only 4 cheese factories make that sort of cheese):

http://www.cniel.com/prodlait/AOC/Gex.html

It's hard to find a good site in English (some pictures are awful, this cheese can't travel that much) nevertheless I found this article in English:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/08/25/WIGIIEC5L21.DTL&type=wine

I can eat cheese at breakfast... :)

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    cottage cheese is good in salads, but as a cheese sort of a chese? no dice.

adn damn, I need to see if the store I like to visit stocks that stuff, Caradhras.. :yum:

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cheese is nice, all kinds of cheese. Hard, soft, liquid, old, new, moldy it all has its place.

I was kinda surprised when I was in the states, the only kind of cheese you could get for a reasonable price were these synthetic looking cubes of cheddar with very funny colours. Didnt look at all like the cheese I was used to but you could get very good tasting cheese despite the plastic appearance and consistency. Had to cut it for my sandwiches with a knife though cause no one seemed to have heard of a well, dont really know a good English word for it, cheese slicer? Thingy that allows you to cut thin slices of cheese from the cheese?

8. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    @ joacqin

Is it any of these? 1 2 3

9. Caradhras

Media:
    I bet it's number 2.

@Arabwel: you can try, although to be quite honest it's hard to find because it's really local. Even in Lyons (100 km) it's quite hard to find and since the area where the milk comes from is 500 km away from Paris you get the idea...
    All this because of the EEC milk quotas which limit the production while the demand is quite high. :nuts:

Anyway if you can find some here are some tips:

-If it's a genuine AOC Bleu de Gex/Bleu du Haut Jura/Bleu de Septmoncel (AOC stands for "appellation d'origine contrôlée" i.e. with a guarantee of origin) there must be the letters " GEX " on the crust.

-the crust should be rather thin, white or lightly yellowish whereas the heart of the cheese is white with blue streaks.

-the smell is very subtle, it's not strong like most blue cheese (not an acquired taste but it grows on you).

-a really old one not really appetizing...

-a fresh one, you can tell because it's very white.

-now that's a nice looking wheel! :yum:

10. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Cheddar and Vegemite sandwiches are what dreams are made of. :yum:

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The last one, the first is a pianowire used to garrote people and the second was just funky.

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Um, actually I *use* the first one in my job at the grocer's deli department - when we get a big wheel of cheese in and need to cut it up into saleable portions? Pull out the 'garrotte'! :cool:

As for the second (and the first) you'll find that wire cuts big pieces of cheese very smoothly and relatively quickly...

But yeah, the third is what I've seen most often for 'domestic' cheese slicing.

(And officially we're supposed to stock over 200 varieties of cheese; it woulda been TORTURE if that allergy had lasted. I've had some illuminating experiences with samples - the boss says "G'wan, try some - what are you gonna say if someone asks what it's like?!?" :D )

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    thanks for the tips, Caradhras :)

14. Caradhras

Media:
    You're welcome Arabwel, don't forget to let me know what you think about it if you manage to find some. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.