1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Does Canada really need a spring election?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Istolil, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree that right now a minority government is a good thing. It's a wake up call to the Liberals who have had it easy for too long. The problem is though with this current minority government pretty much every vote in Parliament will become a non-confidence issue.

Stephen Harper said that when Belinda Stronach left the Tories that she was driven by ambition, that she only wanted power. Uh hello? Who's trying to topple the government by siding with a seperatist party to try to become PM? That's the pot calling the kettle black frankly.

Were this any other situation I would say yay for the minority government. It keeps the ruling party in check and generally works in favor of the country. Take the budget for example...But in this current climate of hostility and power brokering the only winners are the politicians, ultimately the Canadian citizen, no matter what party they support is the loser.

Forensic accountants in the Gomery inquiry recently reported that the money in the sponsership scandal is closer to 350 million dollars now. I'm glad they found that out. I hope that whoever okayed the payments etc gets punished.

Stephen Harper has claimed that he is trying to oust the current government for the sake of all Canadians and to make it accountable for the money the government "lost". But Stephen the money is already gone, why spend more millions of dollars on an election they may change little or nothing in way of power in the Commons?

Does anyone honestly think that if Stephen Harper becomes PM that he'll return the money to Canadians? That we'll all receive a federal check for approx 100$ in the mail? Please... IMHO all Harper cares about is being PM, he wants the power. The only differance between this government and the next is that the next one if it is Torie they won't make the same mistake and get caught.

I still remember the scandal Mulroney caused way back when. He stacked the Senate with PC Senators who supported the GST in order to get it to become law. When he saw things would not go his way he dismissed the Senators against the GST and replaced them with ones of his own choosing who supported him!!! 350 million dollars to Liberal friendly companies vs. how many billions of dollars in Canadians money to GST? Sorry but I'll suffer the 350 mill thanks.

This will all pass whent he next government of a different party gets caught with their fingers in the pie. It's the same old mouthfull of mouthwash swishing from one cheek to the next. Most people only have a scandal to scandal memory it seems.

Corrupt government? Hardly. Screw ups? Yes. When I think corrupt I think of places like Ugoslavia where the election was apparently rigged. That's corrupt. Countries where people are abucted from their homes and never seen again, that's corrupt. Hiding a few million dollars in taxpayer money? That's par for the course for most civilized nations governments.

Phew! Sorry for the rant and please just remember that this is my opinion. I'm not judging anyone's political affiliation or views. I think that right now whether the party was Grit, Torie, NDP or whatever, this is a sad time for Canadian politics. The citizen has taken a back seat to power mongering and megalomania from all sides in this issue. We deserve better.

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Minority governments will only work when the politicians stop acting like children and try to actually run the damn country. The Budget and throne speech are proof of what can be accomplished when the parties co-operate. Is it too much to ask for another four years like that?

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

As far as I'm concerned, the Liberals are ALL as crooked as a dog's hind leg, and with the defection of Belinda, they just got crookeder. They will always win federal elections because the party is in bed with Eastern Canadian business interests, whose primary method of staying on top is screwing the West over, sucking resources out of us, and generally being jerks.

I'm not a Western separatist, I just wish that the ideals of the Reform party had survived the loss of Preston Manning. As long as all we have is a first-past-the-post electoral system that has no balance to the issue of population inequity across vast geographical distances, the West will continue to get screwed, Quebec will suck the life out of the rest of the country and divert our attention from things that really matter, and the Liberals will campaign on a platform of pandering to Ontario and the Atalantic provinces (which can be bought with an offer of increasing pogey).

I'm not bitter or anything. :rolleyes:

BTW, I said "Yes" to an election, though I know it won't happen, and "Yes" to Martin being involved. Either he knew what was happening (as he was the finance minister) and is thus corrupt, or he didn't know and is thus criminally incompetant. I hate him with a passion reserved for politicians and child molesters.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Let the Gomery Report hit, then let the guilty pay. Then let's see Paul Martin call his election. It will be another Liberal Minority, and the NDP will have a stornger place in the house. Basically, Canadians seem to want what the Liberals are promising, but don't want the corruption that comes with it...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.