1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Earth God Alignments - Yahweh, Allah, Jehovah, etc...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Morgoth -

Good point. Zoroasterism (I can't spell) was the first monothesic religion. It preached that there are two gods - one of light and one of dark. You could follow either, but in the end there would be a battle between the two and evil would be defeated.

I don't know the details unforunately, its been a long time since I studied the faith.

As far the evolution of the faiths go:

• Judaism: Zoroasterism + Moses + tradition
    • Catholic: Judaism + Jesus + tradition
    • Islam (Suni): Zoroasterism + Mohammed + tradition
    • Islam (Shia): Islam (Suni) + The Imans + tradition
    • Lutheran: Catholic + Luther +tradition
    • etc ....

2. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Any resources on Zoroasterism being the first monotheistic religion?

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    This is a link..
    unfortunenately only 150.000 Zoroasterists are alive to date,
    funny thing, I just found out that one of my fav philosophers (Zarahustra) laid the foundations of Zoroastrism :weird:

Link

4. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I did some searching too. I note that your link says this:

Italics were added by me for emphasis. Now a quick look at estimated ages for the foundation of Zoroastrianism:

Iran Timeline

Mesopotamia Timeline
    Persian Timeline
    Zoroastrian Timeline

Zoroastrianism for Kids

Avesta

Links for the foundation of Judaism:

Jewish Virtual Library -- American-Israeli Cooperative
    University of California, Religious Studies
    University of Wyoming

Sacred Texts

Now let me note that I've tried my best to give benefit of the doubt to this claim, and the best that they can come up with is that Zarathuster lived at the same time as Moses (or slightly before). Most sources actually place him as being around 600 B.C., about 700 years after Moses. Also, this claim only stands if you consider Moses as the founder of Judaism, not Abraham. It all sounds pretty questionable to me. Undoubtedly the waning numbers of Zoroastrians is in large part responsible for the recent reevaluations of Zarathuster's probable birthdate.

5. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Thank you Capstone and Morgoth.

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Blackhawk: I'm referring to history (or common legends anyway). Both jews and muslims state that Abraham was the founder of their 'tribe'. At some point in time it split up, and one part became jewish, the other much much later became muslimic. Meanwhile, christianity had been formed out of judaism.

The diverse 'personalities' of god doesn't matter because they are all inventions from human beings.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.