1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Escalators - Walker or Blocker?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Splunge, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Clarification:
    Not all escalators are wide enough to have lanes. For example, the ones at airports do, but the ones at my college do not. Being only one person wide makes it rather difficult to have more than one lane.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It all depends. If I'm full of energy, I'l take two setps at a time to get me up or down faster. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll support all my wight on the handrails in an attempt to stop them. :rolleyes: :rolling:

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Nakia:
    Absolutely agreed, which is why I noted exceptions for "physical limitations". :)

@kuemper - Stairs are not always an option, because they are often not conveniently located. Anyway, prepare for an accidental "bump" :evil: :p

@Dragonfly - the poll is really "generally, what would you do?" :)

@HB - true, if standinding to one side is an option. But the escalator I ride every day is really only wide enough for 1 person.

I should also note that I will sometimes ride the escalator when my knees are bothering me. But when I'm healthy, then you'd best get out of my way 'lest you feel me dagger in your back. :p

@chev - nope, not an accountant. A lawyer. :p

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    As I often say whilst jay-walking, lawyers should not be characterised by thoughtless worship of a rule. :p

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I walk both up and down. I'm not lazy and life is too short to spend standing on escalators.

On a similar note the ones I REALLY hate are people who stand on TRAVELATORS (the horisontal people movers) you often find in airports. These are designed for faster transit but some people just stand on them and often block others.

Again, if you're going to just stand on an escalator, do it on the side so others can walk up them. I'm an impatient person with gallons of energy and I prefer to travel as quickly as possible in a safe manner.

6. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I walk up and down, mainly because the only time I use an escalator is when I'm in town, where there are crowds...I hate shopping, and crowds, so I try and do everything as fast as possible just to get home quicker.

I live the slow life, but when I need to live the fast life, I live it twice as fast to get back to the slow life twice as quickly :D ...that makes no sense but meh.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It totally depends on mood and the day. I don't ride escalators on a daily basis, so I don't get into habits or routines when I get on one.

I usually get a choice of stairs or elevator. I always walk down the stairs. Going up depends on the day (tired or in a hurry), and where the elevator is at the moment (if it takes a minute to come down, I'd walk up the stairs).

8. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

The sole purpose of escalators in shopping malls is to ride up or down them while checking out the chicks.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Depends: On the way to work, I stand. Why get there any faster than I have to? On the way home, I walk - I can't get THERE fast enough!

There are many other factors, too. Little kids love riding escalators but it's not safe for them to walk in the process. How much is in my tote bag? How badly did I abuse my body over the weekend? What do the people I'm chatting with want to do? Etc., etc....

10. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I still don't see the point of walking up escalators. They're there to take you so why bother walking? You may as well not bother having an escalator at all

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My two reasons:
    1) To get where-ever I am going more quickly
    2) To get more exercise, because I don't really get enough

12. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Ride, both ways, if I wanted to walk, I would have taken the stairs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.