1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: GOP Leadership in the US

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mathetais, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Isn't it a tad peculiar to in one post admit that you don't have any knowledge of the political parties in the U.S. and then a couple posts later declare you have now gleamed enough information to confidently proclaim the superiority of another political system, which perhaps not conicidentally is your nation's political system? I would've thought from reading this board that boundless patriotism that results in the decleration of your own nation's superiority was limited to the U.S., guess not.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You know, the funny thing about what Trent Lott said (about Strom Thurmond) and the implication of racism, etc., is that Strom Thurmond was a Democrat back when, not a Republican. Also, going back a ways in the thread to the idea of judges for life, I'm a lawyer and, let me tell you folks, judges are people too, with politics, small-mindedness and sometimes sheer idiocy just like you and me. I'm so far against judges for life that it borders on mania.

As for the difference between the parties, it's my opinion (and only my own) that the two American parties are getting a lot closer to each other. Neither one really is for smaller government, neither one really champions the small guy's individual rights (it just looks that way when the right media coverage is applied) and they're both about getting and keeping power. The problem that a lot of the European members of SP do not grasp is that, unlike European democracies which actually have a number of viable parties and operate on coalition governments, the political power here is super-concentrated in the two parties and they are not giving it up any time soon. The other parties are, in essence, fringe groups with such an insignificant following that little to no impact is felt from them and most voters do not vote a third party because they feel that they are throwing away their votes. It would take the equivalent of significant continental drift to empower a third party here due to the way the political party system developed and permeated political history of the US (and this is way too off-topic to start dealing with that issue).

3. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

DMC I agree with much of what you have said. The only way to work around the stranglehold of power is through some of the election reforms that have been bantied about. It costs too much money for the average person to run for any office and get any attention.

As to the fact Thurmand was a demo what does that really matter when we are talking about issues of today? I mean, really, that is the way a bad marriage opperates, constantly bickering over the past. Trent Lott is alive and active today, supporting a mans past beliefs, a period from our past, a period of great division and violence. Pointing at Thurmond serves no purpose other than to deflect the attention away from a man in front of us now, including all his pals in Congress.

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Not at all, Aegron. I wish we had a system more like (HEY, RAGUSA! READ THIS!) Germany's in some aspects. Four political parties sounds good. And I like the idea of a coalition government too.

In fact, this could happen in the U.S. under current laws (something of that nature is now happening in the Senate with Jim Jeffords comprising a party of 1 in a coalition with the Democrats). The problem is getting those third and fourth parties started. I thought the Reform Party had a real chance until Ross Perot did his "now I'm in, now I'm out" routine back in the '96 elections and turned the group into a joke. Then Buchanan just made it bizarre in 2000.

The real obstacle, IMO, is that most people on the left don't want to support the Green or Communist Parties for fear of splitting the Democratic vote and giving the GOP power. And most people on the right don't want to vote Natural Law or Taxpayers Party for fear of giving the Democrats control. So unless a bunch of rich lefties get together with a bunch of rich conservatives and time the creation of third and fourth parties perfectly, I just don't think it's going to happen.

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I completely agree

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Scarampella - I was not excusing Lott in the slightest, as I think he's dangerous and a dinosaur. Thurmond, also a dinosaur, will die soon and is much less worrisome to me right now. Politically, I'm basically a Libertarian and find that both Democrats and Republicans want to make the government larger, which irks me to no end. My wife met Lott in the mid-80's when her chamber group was going through the south and the only thing she remembers was that he had a hole in the back of his pants -- go figure, it must have been a precursor to the one in the front of his head -- he may get his foot out of it one of these days, but I doubt it.

@Shralp - problem with that is that the rich lefties and righties are the ones running the parties. They're not going to bail out on them.

Yeah, you may get the eccentrics like Perot every now and again, but his staying power was obviously not that great. Barring some major upheaval, I think we're stuck with the two party system here.

7. Sniktch Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Funny point on the Lott issue: It was pointed out on Imus that Trent Lott's statement at Thurmond's party(And Reagan's nomination, years earlier) is in fact NOT supported by Strom Thurmond! Thurmond himself has said at earlier times that his segregationist ideals were wrong.

On the "death tax": Laches, in case no-one else has noticed, your comment on this is dead-on; we now seem to have an hereditary system of power in Washington. Bush, Bush jr., Jeb, all the Kennedys, Gore and his daddy, the list goes on... Thus the attempt to repeal the estate tax; to ensure its continuation.

Scarampella: On the state's rights post; It's just hypocrisy as usual.

[rant/]
    On the government in general: It sucks. Self-perpetuating cycle, those with power do all they can to hold it, and expand it. The fall of one only boosts another.

With Strom Thurmond retiring, we lose one of the only two non-corrupt senators(Too senile to understand what the money's for)in the system, the other being Jeffords. And if I'm not misremembering, Jeffords lost his race? As such, we the people are about to get a reaming like never before. Corporate America has a wish list and several hundred willing puppets in power. The EPA is likely gonna go poof, the FDA has already been castrated, and the SEC... fugeddaboutit. Wall Street is headed for Party Time, and the oil companies are leading the way right into Gulf War 2, with Bush a willing accomplice in an attempt to avenge his daddy's one-term honor.

Minor note: If the Dems had all three branches, we'd be in for just as bad a shafting; it'd just be on the regulate-noncontributing-businesses-to-death-then-tax-and-spend side.

I am hoping all TRUE Americans will remember the words of Thomas Jefferson(and I broadly paraphrase due to a bad case of can't-remember-exact-worditis): something along the lines of at least one armed revolution a decade, to clean out the corrupt powers-that-be.

Of course, the new Total Information Initiative is now gonna tag me as a political dissident, so I'll most likely be arrested on some bogus charges, taxed out of existence, deported, or otherwise silenced... Whee!! It's China/1984/Brave New World all over again! :flaming: :toofar:

Personally, I voted Carlin/Miller in 2000. Get the amateurs outta Washington; we want PROFESSIONAL comedians!!![/rant]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.