1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Hardest "Boss"

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chickavalier, May 4, 2005.

1. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@Kitrax and Klorox
    Yes and No. because kangaxx tells you to get his body,and that's tricks. but what kitrax is saying is not bluff, but buff

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Your list should've included the tactics versions as well...Improved Irenicus...now there's a cheap, overpowered, unbalanced, downright CHEAT of a fight. :)

3. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

JSBB we think like one man ...

P.S. the Kangaxx axaxaaxxaxaxa he is only at one stun and like it is said Kangaxx Has left the building

4. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I had problems with Tanova vampire, of course, but the most annoying battle I had was in Baator, when the Planar Sphere arrived there. These three demons wiped the floor with my 250.000 adventurers. :(

Other bosses were easy.

5. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Seems like any discussion of the hardest boss has to differentiate between the un-modded SoA and SoA with the Tactics mod installed, eh?

That said, I found Irenicus pretty damn difficult the first time through, especially since you have to kill him again after the first frickin' time. Had a coupla bodies laying around after that fight (Anomen, Imoen, maybe one other), but I got through it eventually.

Haven't reached Firkraag or any major boss yet since installing Tactics (as part of BP), but I'll be relishing the challenge when I get there...

[ May 13, 2005, 14:40: Message edited by: Derkoth the Disgruntled ]

6. The_Swordalizer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

First dragon fight will always live in my memory - just thinking "that thing's frikkin' huge!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mine was the shadow dragon. Not really the hardest boss... but the most memorable!

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

for me it was Firkraag ... irenicus and the others all went down reasonably easy (well 1-2 reloads at most) ... it might be because i had better spells and strategies by the time i got to the others ... but Firkraag just whooped my ass :(

8. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Irenicus is good, a fair fight unless you are very high level or employ cheese.

Bodhi... pretty easy, the only difficulty is if you fail some saves from charm effects.

Shadow dragon- I once killed this just out of Chateau irenicus with an archer. There's a certain type of arrows, say no more.

Black dragon- by this point, dragons become easy enough to MM to death or just thump.

Kangaxx- as they say, a one trick pony. A headache when you first see him, then he becomes just so much paste on your mace.

Firkraag was the one that got my vote, because i tend to fight him before I get lower resistance or good enough thac0 to beat him.

The last lot of cowled mages are pretty tough though, with all those time stops. Optional fight, so its fair enough.

9. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

how do you beat Kangaxx so easily?

10. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

There are several tried and tested methods, search the boards - this is probably the most asked question in the history of BG2. It may be worth a sticky at the top of the board or something. There are also a few guides available to download which go into detail on fights like this.

Basically its Kangaxx's second form thats the problem. If you can't beat the first one forget about the second one.
    There are two elements to consider here - he casts ranged imprisonment every round and he can only be hit by +4 weapons or more, I'm pretty sure spells below 8th level are useless as well.

So you need a weapon - some examples are
    Holy Avenger
    Mace of Disruption (strikes as +4 or +5 can instant kill as well)
    Staff of Magi (I think)
    Staff or Rynn (this takes a bit of time as he regenerate fairly quickly)
    Sword of Backstabbing+4 (I think)
    Use the cloak of stars to make some +5 darts (A brave move)
    There maybe others but I can think)

And you need to protect your character from imprisonment-
    Use a protection from Magic scroll
    Use protection from Undead scroll (not sure)
    Send somebody over whos beserked or enraged
    Use the Slayer form (not tried this one)
    Use the spell protection from magic (abjuration)

One easy way is to use a protection from magic scroll. Get someone like Keldorn with the Holy Avenger sword, use the prot from magic scroll on him and march him up and chop away. Kangaxx will hapily try to imprison him every round, 500 years of sitting in his tomb seem to have addled his brains a little. Make sure you hold the other characters back. Some other cheap shots involve traps, which can slay the first form in the blink of an eye. You can then use the ring of the ram to knock him into the top right corner. This should also be loaded with traps to finish off the second form.

11. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What about using those +5 Darts with an Assassins Poison? I heard this goes through stoneskins, and this would probably make it harder for him to pull of spells.

12. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31

I had to vote for Thaxyllissilia or whoever. When I first played through I was a cavalier imported from BG1 with crazy good stats. I was completely at a loss. I didn't even have a thought as to how I might be able to use my skills against this dragon. My character was using melee of some kind because in my role-playing mind a paladin would see range fighting as cowardly. Everytime I got close enough to take a swing at the dragon it wing buffeted me and knocked us all out and across the room. I cheaped through killing it by using Aerie and Nalia, casting as many cloudkills as possible and reading several cloudkill scrolls and draining to cloudkill wands I had happened across. Eventually the dragon suffocated and I hung my hed in shame while I skipped off to make shadow dragon scale armor. Every other boss I had tactics and power by the time I met them. I still have never fought Kangaxx. Just never got around to it and now I am stuck with his flaming quest.

(By the way the last sentence was a shamless plug of my thread requesting info for getting to battle Kangaxx. I feel so sleazy. So my Viccy romance feels that much more right, baby.)

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] Check out my SotW baby! Woot! Was it a fluke or did I get lucky or what? :grin:

How you kill the lich is your problem. I usually do it by dropping a ton of traps, skulltraps and delayed blast fireballs (if someone can cast them) at the site where it is generated. Once the lich is dead, the demi-lich appears.

Tap Dancing Oyster (is TDO ok?) has some good points.
    Protection from Undead scrolls: a number of these will be sold to you by merchants in the Promenade. It basically means that no undead can see/target you while the spell is in place. Simply hack at your will.
    This makes the most sence RP'wise imo, since you know you are gonna face atleast one more lich. Combining this scroll with the Vailor's Helm is so :evil:
    Protection from Magic scroll: Use it on Kangaxx himself :grin: Now try casting spells you jerk! :lol:

Kangaxx the Demi-Lich is basically immune to all damage from spells of levels 1 to 9. Only epic spells can harm him. So melee bashing is the way to go.
    It seems that he has immunity to a couple of elements but not to all. A weapon like the +4 halberd you get from the group which attacks you in the underdark is a good idea. FoA is of no use since +3 weapons can't hit him. IMoD is the best weapon against all undead ofcourse.

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    whats the name of that silver dragon in the underdark?

she always seemed to put up a good fight

15. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

That would be Adalon. But why on earth would you fight her? To much hassle IMO.

I actually found Irenicus the hardest on my first run through, since i didn't find either the twisted rune nor Kangaxx, Firkraag fell to a utterly lucky feeblemind, and the shadow dragon i beat fair and square. Long time ago, but i still remember it ;)
    Bodhi was a piece of cake with protection from negative energy. (That's what it's called right?)

Therefore, Irenicus was the worst. Spells, Protections, Demons, Slayerchange... Bothersome bugger.

16. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31

@Thor- You're thinking of Negative Plane Protection.

I started another game recently and had a tough time with Tarnor the Hatchetman and his crew in the sewers under the Temples district. I think it was just an unlucky party on my part that I couldn't take him that easily. It was the first time I found how useful Yoshimo's Special Snares can be. I usually get rid of him in favor of a real warrior. Good Gaming.

17. Gerondin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Tarnor and Firkraag were impossible until I returned after having much higher hit points, spells and weapons. This is the case with various monsters, etc. at any early stage of the game.

The second most difficult area I encountered was the Compound in the Temple District. Again, this was impossible until I returned for the third or fourth time. I only won after several reloads and because I could resurrect my dead companions.

As I said elsewhere (Golden legs and Golden Torso), I found the second manifestation of Kangaxx impossible to take out, because no matter what tactic or strategy I tried, at least one of my adventurers disappeared.

I thought they had been disintegrated and learned via the Message Board that they had been "imprisoned." I was not able to use the 9th level Free spell to free them so I resorted to becoming the Slayer. Only the second and last time I resorted this. K 2 was a piece of cake to take out!!

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Spell Immunity:Abjuration for Imprisonment.
    Spell Immunity: ALteration for Teleport Field...which is what the improved version uses...

Get those up, and you can bash him with anyone you want. You might want to get your tank to use those scrolls through the potion swap method, and then bash on them.

Keldorn with a Girdle of Giant Strength and Carsomyr +5 and Improved Haste is nice... :D

19. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I find the Demogorgon very hard. Usually need cannon fodder... But there are 5 of them, not 'one' boss.
    The Baalor is very hard too, and this demon in Spellhold (for the Doom plate).
    I often have a lot of difficulties with Tanova. What level is that mage? It's easier if you have Keldorn in the party.
    I voted others, but in the list, Firkraag seems the toughest. Yet there are tactics...
    Bodhi can hit you each time and deal 20 or so damage even if you have very good AC, but if you pelt her with all your party, she'll soon fall.

OT: the Dark Halflings are not a big problem if you can summon a Skeleton Warrior (cheese?)

20. Shortnamed Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The most troublesome (unmodded) encounter was [snip].

Most difficult? Pontifex... this one's simply evil.

[ToB location removed.] -Tal

[ June 04, 2005, 12:35: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.