1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Most powerful class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Faraaz, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Earl Grey
    Will do, I'm sure evryone will find it fun answering another "what charater should I use" question ;)

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    The thief doesn't need extra attacks to take care of mirror images (simply use "detect illusion" which can be enabled while the thief is invisible)

The most powerful class (with the right items ;) ) would be either a dualled Swashbuckler/Fighter or a half-elf Cleric/Ranger.

If you have true grand mastery the Swashbuckler/Fighter is the best option.

-Gets bonus to his AC and to hit and D (level 15 +4AC, +3 to hit and D)

-can set traps and use thieving abilities.

-as a fighter can achieve +++++ !!

This character would be quite powerful with 5 attacks per round, true he lacks magic but with good items (even if he can't "use any item") he will be able to cope with any situation.

The Cleric/Ranger's real asset is the ability to cast both clerical and druidic spells (ironskins for instance)... rangers get dual wielding abilities easily and you can quickly find some very nice and powerful weapons.

3. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the term mid-game (since it appears we have different views on when this actually happens).

My point is that stealing classes will get powerful (to the point of being overpowered) long before any other class. Party-wise this may benefit other classes more than the stealing class itself, but without the stealing class the party wouldn't be powerful in the first place.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I agree with Scythesong. I once started up a Blade (after reading Scythesong's guide, of course), and I found that an hour after leaving Irenicus' Dungeon, I was lvl 12, with my guy equipped with Blade of the Roses +3 (till I could get Celestial Fury), Robe of Vecna, Dakkon Zerth's Blade, Bracers of AC 3, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength.

2 hours later...he had Boots of Speed, Melodic Chain +3, Belm +2, Celestial Fury, and just about all the spell scrolls which could be bought.

Stealing classes can get so powerful so quick, its not even funny.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Wow, I never really thought about stealing so much!

Anyway, here's a great thread about Berserker/Clerics (and other C/R and C/F combos) making the greatest class in the game: LINK

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    If you don't like multiclasses (Ranger/Clerics are great!!!) the Berserker/Cleric is not bad but think about a Berserker/Druid instead ;)

7. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Options is the key...so it has to be MU/Thief... Steal the best equipment. Get experience at low levels for doing nearly nothing (pick locks, find traps and learn spells). You can get to 1M experience points by just wandering around. Traps, Backstab, UAI, Mislead, SI divination alone is pretty good but then you add all the other MU spells. Would give a straight sorcerer a run for his money in a straight fight and is so much more fun to play.

8. Shandris Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Having the strongest character it really depends what your going up against. But personaly i think sorcerer's suck due to their lack of defense and by the time he just starts casting one of his spells he probably be dead because he has so many to choose from not even half of his spells actually do dmg without a bad effect happening and you have to know all your spells or your screwed. You also need to rest constintly. Did i mention that the sorcerer is pathietic at the beginning? I dont want to have to wait 10 lvls to actually do dmg to a weakling. I know a lot of you might disagree but sorcerers are weak! I seriously dont see how they own because they are so valunrable. I personaly Think human fighter is better because if he/she max's the mastery of any type of the weapons they can be quite deadly and they wont be defenseless!

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Then you just don't know how to play a sorcerer (not that I'm any expert).

It's generally acknowledged that a sorcerer is one of the most powerful classes in the game. Of course, this requires a knowledge of which spells are effective in what circumstances, and that may be your problem. (Again, I make no claim that I'm any better.)

10. Shandris Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Lol ive just never seen a sorcerer in action before maybe that will change my mind

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Shandris: This might be redundant, considering the sheer volume of similar threads on this board, BUT...

Have you considered Sorcerer's who have actually selected spells such as:

*Stoneskin
    *Protection From Magic Weapons
    *Mislead
    *Mirror Image
    *Spell Immunity
    *Protection from Energy

??

PfMW has a casting time of 1!! That means, it is cast instantaneously, meaning that the Sorcerer then is free to cast 4 spells of his choosing, with no interruptions, atleast, from people actually hitting him with anything.

Stoneskin has an almost 12 hour duration, which means he can have that on him all day...which again protects him from atleast 5 attacks or so...which should be another couple of rounds which he is good for.

Mirror Image can throw up 3-8 images, which again, gives him at the least, a couple of rounds of safety.

Mislead cast together with Spell Immunity: Divination, which guarantees around 10 rounds at a minimum, of invisibility from any character in the game, which lets him cast another 10 rounds.

So you can see, the Sorcerer can VERY efficiently sidestep the minor inconvenience of people trying to hit him...he can be so well protected within an INSTANT, that melee classes cannot dream of touching him.

Now...while he has all these measures to protect himself, he can use such spells as:

*Timestop (pwnage for 3 rounds)
    *Skulltrap (HUGE damage at higher levels)
    *Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting ('nuff said :cool: )
    *Dragon's Breath (depends on the availability of 9th lvl spell slots)
    *Comet (personal preference, interchange with Dragon's Breath)
    *Magic Missile (good for interrupting enemy spellcasters such as mages and clerics, also for magic resistant characters, as a couple always get through)
    *Lower Magic, Pierce Shield, Pierce Magic (all excellent spells to reduce enemy magic resistance and spell protections)
    *Greater Malison (one cast of this almost always ensures full damage of your damage spells)

I'm sorry, but I'm a great advocate of the Sorcerer, as other folks here might know. :shake:

So, I feel compelled to ask you, what on EARTH do you mean by the Sorcerer being useless?

If anything, by comparison, he makes the other classes in the game look useless, embarassingly so. :flaming: (just kidding mate, but you SHOULD see how Sorcerer's are anything BUT useless now. ;) )

EDIT:pS:You might notice that I've mentioned a lot of fairly lower level spells. You dont HAVE to wait 10 levels to be a God in BG2, if you know what you're doing. ;)

12. Chimera Gems: 5/31

Considering that you are a Bhaalspawn... :D
    Mage/clerics can be very powerful too :evil:

13. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Sorcerers are great from the start. I actually have to think of a way to get through an encounter :) My latest idea that Earl Grey mentioned and I'm sure many have tried before is; get farsight and project image... now I can hide my 'weakling' sorcerer on the other side of a map and send his image in. Too low level at the mo, so I don't know if this will be effective.

As for the most powerful class. Well it is the sorcerer IMO, but I think the fighter/thief and fighter/druid MC's are very good. Although you have to know how to use them.

[ September 04, 2004, 04:07: Message edited by: Malovae ]

14. Ghost Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I dont get it, why is mislead with SI: Divination good? few ppl mentioned it. I mean in a thief perspective. Please explain.

Though i hate to admit it, sorcerer is my choice. What Faraaz said is true, but those are just general game play... wait till you hear about exploits... 7 planetars and 7 skelly warriors n 7 mordekian are no fun all from the expense of one spell.

With the correct spell combo, all creatures are whimps.

Next would be F/T.

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    SI:Divination protects against spells which may dispell the Mislead. Mislead allows unlimited backstabs.

Wait till you hear of Blade exploits...
    Exploit-wise the self-proclaimed Lord of Cheesiness (and thus, most powerful class) is the Blade.

The only real difference between a Sorcerer and a Mage is the spell count. IMO, the Mage comes a lot closer to the Sorcerer than the F/T. Think Edwin and go figure.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Scythesong: Care to share some of those cheesy exploits with us? :D I'm always game for something which can chunk enemies in more creative ways. :D

I dunno, the Sorcerer can do some pretty awesome stuff, like the Spell-Trap-->Power Word:Kill trick, which isn't exactly cheating, but allows the Sorcerer to restore his spell-book almost infinite times. Then there is the "Ultra-mileage" technique, of spamming Project Image, etc etc.

I don't know how a Blade can compare with these...so, enlighten me! :cool:

17. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    The Blade can make multiple images, abuse Wish (via a scroll casted by a Simulacrum from the Helm of Vhailor), spam Simulacrums (which can further spam Simulacrums/Misleads, etc.... have half of these sing and let the others do the rest... Think Enhanced Bard Song bonuses X20, if you will), and use just about every exploit there is for the Fighter, Thief and Mage classes, as long as its not HLA-specific. (ie, abuse stat-draining items, turn into Mindflayer/s with -20 THAC0, lay consecutive Timestop traps/Spike Traps.)
    If you want you can arrange to have all those images wield stat-draining items in their off-hand, then use Melf's Minute Meteors+Improved Haste on them to reach 10 attacks per round. Some Fire Elementals from the Staff of Fire would also fit in nicely. (Not exactly the best of summons, but with Enhanced Bard Song Xn even a Planetar pales in comparison)

Finally there is one ability unique to the Bard Class - the ability to exploit foreknowledge. :)
    That ridiculously high lore can come in very useful.

"like the Spell-Trap-->Power Word:Kill trick"
    Hadn't thought about that. A new tactic to add to my list. ;)

[ September 04, 2004, 12:22: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

18. Chimera Gems: 5/31

Not really, the difference becomes clearer when using spells like PI or Wish.

[ September 09, 2004, 09:26: Message edited by: Chimera ]

19. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Once the Mage decides to go all damage-purpose, he's a sorcerer some spells less from the real one, but not far from being just as deadly.

20. Chimera Gems: 5/31

Yes, but a mage has to choose a set of spells, and his PI will have the same set to its disposal. A sorcerer's PI can choose spells anytime, six potential Wishes can be :evil: .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.