1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll on the meaning of a passage in the Bible

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Arkados Blackmire, Sep 4, 2001.

1. This is my comprehension for it: If you don't believe in god, he's not gonna let you hear his "voice". If you do, you are praised.

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] We are always here for you matt.

EDITED HERE, Ahh just saw your message Shadow chick. This is the understanding I got too. If its a sin and I go to hell at least I wont be going alone :p

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 08, 2001).]

3. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Shadow_Goddess: I don't think it has anything to do with God "letting" you here his voice. It's there for anyone who choses to hear it.
    "Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."
    meaning quite literally it goes out to all the earth.
    Nobleman:
    "My Go: Those who will not hear God, cannot hear God. And there is no excuse since he speaks to the entire world"

With this statement I believe you portrayed it more accurately than any extensive explanation.
    The "voices" are always there....... but only for those who choose to hear them.

4. Its time to wake up. You'll be late for school.

5. Sol'Kanar Guest

I'm joining the arguement a bit late, but I just have to speak up when I find religious discussions.
    Headbanger: Your interpretating of the passage appears me Typical Christian Drivelâ„¢. If you'll forgive the expression, I'll continue. You say that since we, as humans, cannot possibly comprehend the distances between stars, the motions of celestial bodies, that it must be proof of your god? Stars don't give light by themselves? What do you mean? Something as "artful" and beautiful cannot simply have evolved? Do not all arts evolve over time? You don't think man is born with the knowledge to build skyscrapers, do you? As did nature and all things, this *knowledge* evolved over generations. Your arguements seem a classical play on the limited understanding of the human mind, which in no way proves that YOUR god is anything but a dream in the minds of the masses.
    Just my 2 cp.

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I think it means wherevar you are someone will preach religion at you.

7. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

8. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I hate this computer. I've lost my post, but I'll try again.
    *ahem*

Man's knowledge did not "evolve". It grew. He did not magically arrive at that knowledge by some process of "survival of the fittest" or random genetic mutations. He gained his knowledge by perseverance; by directed, conscious effort. His creations are not by random chance; they are a direct result of that conscious effort. No one would be foolish enough to say a clock evolved; it is just as ludicrous to say that the knowledge to build that clock evolved.

Incidentally, I find evolutionists' devotion to their theory (I use the word simply out of politeness, as I would hardly grant it that status) rather religious myself. They throw out any data that might contradict their preconceived notions, and grasp at any evidence that might support it in some way. Let's face it... when you have to stretch to similarity of embryos to lend credence, you're getting far too enamored of your hypothesis.

Evolutionists are just as intolerant as Christians when it comes to criticism as well, and perhaps more. There is a case (I'll supply specifics later, once I reread the article) before the courts now regarding a M.S. Biology major who was fired from his high school teaching position because he dared to teach some of the theoretical problems with evolution. He was not teaching creationism, nor was he making religious references; he was simply taking a critical look at the actual scientific evidence. But since these particular evolutionists desperately wanted their "theory" to be fact, they found that unacceptable.

As any student of thermodynamics knows, the theory of evolution actually runs directly counter to the known nature of the universe. The tendency of all things is actually toward maximum DISORDER, not order. This is known as the law of entropy -- the second law of thermodynamics. Everything in the universe is essentially falling apart, not achieving greater viability. :)

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, now you shouldn't have gone and done that, we don't want to turn this religious debate into an evolution debate do we?

I have talked about misconceptions of evolution such as yours in another thread, so I won't cover them again here, but your last paragraph, I MUST rebut.

As any student of thermodynamics knows, the second law of thermodynamics does NOT state that everything progresses from order to disorder. What it essentially says is that the entropy of a closed system cannot decrease. The earth and the life on it are not closed; the Sun provides more than enough energy to drive many processes that produce order from chaos and not the other way around. Look at life itself; if that's not order from disorder I don't know what is. If you believe that life is somehow exempt from the second law because of God's divine influence or something, there are plenty of nonliving examples as well; how about the crystalline structure of snowflakes? If order from disorder is not the norm in nature, then why is it all around us?

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited September 11, 2001).]

10. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Heh. I thought you'd enter after that post.

Granted, the earth is not a closed system. But consider the universe as a closed system, or, by conveniently ignoring the "negligible" radiation of the stars (compared to the sun's, anyway), let's consider the solar system as closed. Now we see that although we do have some processes occurring where entropy decreases, in the end the sun is going to die, taking all life with it. Certainly there are some processes that can run "uphill", but the overall tendency is toward the lowest energy state and maximum entropy.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True enough, but while the Sun is flooding the Earth with its energy, using the Second Law of Thermodynamics as proof against evolution simply doesn't hold water.

12. Khementi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Means if you get high on acid read the bible and look at the sky, judas priest will begin blasting at really high volume.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.