1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Original or Ripped PC Games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kelvon Shadowmane, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Some ripped here, but I defend myself by saying that I would have bought all of those if they would have been available anywhere.
    Take Arcanum, for example, I tried to find it, I really did. Searched all websites of any known stores, nothing. Visited second hand shops, nothing. I even went as far as posting a note on some small newspaper's "selling and buying", and still nothing.

So, with nothing else to possibly do, since I had heard it was really good game, only choice was to get it less-than-honorable ways.
    Same goes for other ones. If I ever find them, I'll be sure to buy them.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    All are orginals. I won't do pirated games as it stops developers getting their due. Sick puppies, creators of ghost master, went under due to not making enough money. I don't know if non-piracy would have saved them. But it can't have helped! I just don't want to assist in developers going under.

3. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I tend to download alot of games/movies/music but I don't see it as stealing or really illegal as most end up deleted/discarded after a few weeks. If i like it then i'll buy it once i have the cash, if i don't then its gone and forgotten.

I like to try out new games but demos never really give a true feel of the game, except for maybe the old Deus Ex demo which gave you the entire liberty island intro mission to play.

The only exceptions to this would be abandonware and games i used to own but discarded because of system/console upgrades i.e. Mega Drive / SNES roms & emulators and alot of old dos games.

EDIT: I love Streets of Rage 2 so very much!! :cool:

[ August 04, 2006, 11:51: Message edited by: Pseudospawn ]

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    The real concern it causes me is this: Things like Deus ex 2, possibly BG3, possibly Fallout 3; they are now made like that because they aim to appeal to a wider audience; expand their clientele. If that means co-developing on multiple platforms then so be it. I think they do this to get more people so they can hope to make a profit. If they didn't have to worry about illegal piracy then maybe they could make it with less mass market appeal and more fan based love.

5. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have at least 124 adventure games (some of them real gems. I got most of them from a guy selling his entire Adventure collection on ebay. That was the best decision I ever made. No boxes, because he kept them in a CD folder. But it came with a box full with the original manuals.), all of them originals.

I also have several other non-adventure games, all of them legit. The only games I ever download are games that are no longer available for sale, because they are so obscure or old that the chance of finding them is pretty low. If I were to ever find them for sale, I'd buy them. A good example is the Adventure "Imperium Romanum", which plays in an alternate Roman Empire, and a conspiracy involving time travel. It's seems only to exist in German, and is hard to find even as download. I was very glad when I had finally found a copy on ebay, and immediately bought it (and it even was a boxed copy. Not mint, but good enough for me.)

I don't like downloading games in general, because I know that pirating games hurts not only the developers, but also myself. And I have an overactive conscience, making me extremely aware of what I do at all times.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.