1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Serve in Heaven or rule in Hell?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Jun 25, 2007.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
  2. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Will I get 40 wives if I serve in Heaven?

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Dengo: That's not possible, because any woman stuck as one of 40 wives is likely to consider her situation quite hellish. ;) :roll:

4. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Obviously you've never heard of groupies. /folds arms

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In one of his letters Paul says there will be no marrying in heaven. In Heaven those who get there sit/stand around singing the praises of God and/or Jesus Christ. That's the Christian heaven of course. There are other concepts of course.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Everyone try to act surprised but I chose Serve in Heaven.

I've never seen the part Nakia mentions to describe Heaven, but what is taught in Mormonism is that we'll be there with out families (assuming that we and they live worthily). We believe that with a clear set of rules, no influence of Satan, and the memories of how we felt before and after any repentance we underwent in mortality, it would be the truest of paradise.

AS for Hell, sure ruling in Hell may sound tempting to some, but think of who you're ruling over? People that would nto obey and did horrible things to satisfy their own desires. You may rule, but will your subjects obey you?

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Keep in mind that the Mormon version of hell is rather unlike most other versions of it.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hokay, I admit I haven't been taking this thread seriously. Concepts of Heaven and Hell vary according to religious belief.

As to what Paul said I would have to do a bit of research which I just don't have the time to do right now. I believe that what he actually said is that there would be no giving in marriage in Heaven. The Book of Revelations does show the inhabitants as praising God.

Now as to Hell as interpreted by Christians. There are several words that are translated as 'hell'. Rallymama would be better at explaining what these words mean.

She'ohl which is used frequently IIRC is a place of burning refuse. Other words simply mean grave.

In the Nicene Creed it says that Jesus descended into Hell. Eh? What? Now if He was perfect why did he descend into Hell? Maybe to tell Satan face-to-face that he (Satan) was in deep trouble?

For those of you choosing 'rule in hell' just remember that if you seriously believe in hell that at the End Satan will be sent back there not to rule but to suffer for eternity.

Having said the above I will now return to not taking this thread seriously.

9. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    My understanding of hell is simply separation from God for all eternity. Based on this interpretation there wouldn't actually be anything to rule over since you'd be completely alone.

10. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

But what about the saying "Hell is other people."? Are you saying Jean-Paul Sartre is wrong? :p

11. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

But if other people are that annoying, why would you want to rule over them, which comes with more of an obligation over them, which increases the annoyance you'd be subjected to...

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Maybe he wants to be a bloody-handed tyrant?

13. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It all depends on whether or not God did all the stuff that the old testament says he did. If he really did all that stuff, then I think I'd rather spend eternity in hell......even if it doesn't have air conditioning.

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Serving is for wussies. I choose hell, there's beer and hooters there. :grin:

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Yeah, you just won't get at either. Why do you think everything's so mean and cruel down there? Because even whoever is in charge is denied any happiness. :D

16. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    Any form of living forever is ultimately going to be torture, its just that the concept of hell doesnt pretend to be anything other than that...hell. And if Im going to live forever, and I really hope I never do, I would rather rule than serve, being an eternal slave would suck, and after all...thats all that serving is, being someones slave. I know there is this idea that God wants us to live with him forever because he loves us, but...do we even really understand what 'eternity' is like?

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Heavy lies the crown... It comes down to:

a) -feeling good in the service of the Lord, knowing you are worthy to praise Him.

b) -being banished to a desolate wasteland of fiery pits and brimstone where people suffer in eternal anguish and pain.

That's a no brainer. Hand over a harp and I'd join the choir, I guess you could have pottery classes as well. Now that would be fun! :angel:

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...if I got to rule hell, would I end up looking like the Lord of Darkness from the old movie 'Legend'? And would I be able to shape hell as I see fit?

If so, then hell yes! (no pun intended) :p :rolling:

19. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    That Legend movie is awesome...and yeah, if I ended up looking like that ruling hell then Id be well happy...

20. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    "I require the solace of the shadows."

The ruler of hell, even in Legend, is a sad, sad person...Lonely, abandoned, without love...who doesn't necessarily even understand what love is, even while knowing what the lack of it is and feels like...

There's nothing funny, no delight, in eternal sadness.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.