1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Should the 'One Word Story' be resurrected?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] How about this, the one word story goes in random babbling after you've posted your babbles, no more spam than before and still there is the story

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Isn't whatnots all about just anything and nonsence topics though? It would be fun for us all. I'm in favour of it just for the fun of it :) .

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The one word story wasn't really a one word story since hardly anyone used just one word, and it made no sense whatsoever either after the first few replies. So I really see no benefit in it except for raising the post count of those who participated in it.

4. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

On the contrary tal, when i re-read the story i discovered several meaningful sentences, for example -

"Poor blacks won freedom by slaughtering Indians without consulting Boo!"

"Which leads to Sniper jumping up the Choccy flavoured STARFISH and ingesting on raw juicy tasty steaming butts that randomly belong outside Finland and herf obstinately waxes other men's gun which nobody masturbates without."

"Orgasmic yawns caused a moderator to DELETE Blackthorn's sense of humor."

"Today taluntain banned all pokemon spammers from these boards because he loves Mecha-Godzilla and Barbie-dolls."

"Meanwhile Blackthorne TA has created flying asses that inhale mucus."

"Darien Noella shows her trouts only when she's warming buns and cream for her admirers and other orcish lover boys squealing in agony and frustration."

"Taluntain's devastating underpants smelt like rotten homobreath masturbating while Sniper watched his pet fish eat teachers."

"My own grandma manipulated monkeys for the perpetual thingy called "Widget" which smells like Teen spirit."

"Gamers refused to reboot masturbating cheetahs by pressing buttons on their keyboard."

These were all in there and, somehow, all make, to a certain degree, sense (not plain sense but rather dirty sniper-ish sense, no offence sniper).

This one almost made sense but not quite, i put this at the bottom because i consider it to be subliminal forgotten realms advertising -

"Elminster tripped inadvertently when the police kick their genitals off."

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What if new rules were introduced? If there were rules might it be considered?

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Lazy

Maybe Tal doesn´t like the whole topic since he will be the most popular subject :hmm:

7. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] We could always just agree to make Sniper the most popular subject ;) surely he wouldn't mind as penance :p

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks for proving my point Lazy Bonzo. :shake:

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] LOL Taluntain!

Me offended? Now when was offended? I only took offence once in that 900 long thread! Correct me if i am wrong ;) Anyway, wasn't I one of those that 'encouraged' the One Word Story? :heh:

Anyway, as for my opinion, I don't think (excluding certain powers) it would take off again the way it did in the past :( Don't get me wrong though, I still voted FOR the ressurrection :D

EDIT

I am surprised though, 72% of the people are i favour of the thread being ressurected :p

[ December 26, 2002, 19:27: Message edited by: Sniper ]

10. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Lol. Did i bring back happy memories? And which moderator was it that removed BTA's sense of humour? or did he commit humour-cide (the act of removing ones own sense of humour) ?

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Come on Tal, lighten up, the one word story was fun! Thats it, not spam fest, fun. And most things did make sense in a twisted kind of way.

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Lol! :p I do like your method of thinking Aikanaro!

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] Just thought I'd have a look at the poll at to see how it was doing. 24 votes for and 9 against. A very big majority want it back, but the powers that be are against it. Interesting really isn't it? ;)
    Just one thing though, isn't whatnots meant for stuff like this? Just silly non serious stuff? I can't see it turning into a spam fest (Sniper excepted of course ;) ) just something that would be fun to do. Set rules for it and it'll be funny.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    There are limits to silliness. And the one-word story is pure spam, nothing else. And everyone's complaining about Whatnots being full of spam as it is.

[ December 29, 2002, 14:50: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Y'know people, maybe we could dig up a place off site to use, anyone know somewhere we can take over?

16. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Aikanaro, I know you meant something else, but I just got a vision of some poor random blokes message board suddenly being drowned in SPers posting the 'One Word Story'......"Hey, I'm really popul...what are they doing?!!"

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Actually I was thinking exactly that :)
    But seriously, lots of people would trade out spam for the publicity it would get, though permission from the webmaster might be a good investment, I think I know just the place...

[ December 30, 2002, 12:40: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

18. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I never thought I'd join this conversation, but I have to disagree with Tal saying the One Word Story is pure spam. I understand, if every person just posts a word it would be considered as spam, but try looking at the big picture. The whole thing is going to develop into a story. An INTERESTING and FUN story. So it isn't really spam if there's something to be made sense of it (if conducted within certain rules). Plus, there's a chance it might turn out as something CREATIVE, perhaps it could then be moved into Creativity Surge.

Of course, it is up to the moderators whether to allow us this 'privilege'. If the One Word Story is simply unacceptable, how about a One Sentence Story?

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] *holds up hand, other on heart*

And I promise not to overly use the best word of them all ... masturbation! I shall look after that word, love it and care for it and not let it out into the wild ... much :p

There we go, I've made my oath not to enlighten everything with words of such a sexual nature. What can I say? I've grown up! :p (Everyone wishes!) :D

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Commenting on Rhythms One sentence idea, in my drama class at school we did a variant on the one sentence story where you had to begin the sentence with the relavent (sp?) letter of the alphabet in order. For example -

"Anna went to the shops"

and the next person would say something like -

"Bobby worked in the shop and, when Anna came into the shop, he said "Hiya Anna"

the next person might continue with -

"Creatively she replied "Forsooth a voice from within a dimly lit opening" using her full knowledge of 'the classics'"

etc

Then it could hardly be considered spam? since it would have a meaning (and it is certainly not easy when you get up to the last few letters of the alphabet, but it is possible. So what do you think?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.